It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

clinda HB User
Dangers of Black Cohosh

I had an appointment with my GYN this afternoon. When I told her I was taking Black Cohosh, she told me that it can cause blood clots, breast tumors and other problems. She suggested I check the internet for the downside of taking Black Cohosh.

I've also been having throbbing headaches daily for about 2-3 months. One of the side effects is HEADACHES! Needless to say, I plan to stop immediately....like tonight! I'll just have to suffer through the HOT FLASHES! Trust me, they are BRUTAL!!

Have any of you had a bad experience with Black Cohosh, if so, please share. I am trying to find the source of these headaches before I go crazy!!!

Thanks,
clinda

Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Smile Re: Dangers of Black Cohosh

I know what you are talking about on the headaches with black cohosh. I bought a bottle of capsules a few months ago. Seems like they had a lot of milligrams in them. Well, two or three days later I started having terrible headaches. So, I quit taking them and no more headaches. Maybe it was too strong or it was an allergic reaction. Right now I am trying out the Climara Pro. Just started this week. If I get severe PMS, they will be going in the trash. I am postmenopause with osteopenia and graves disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran

kc1216 HB User
Re: Dangers of Black Cohosh

Hi, I read stuff about headaches and black cohosh. I've never taken it but I've heard that St. John's Wort is a good substitute -never took that either though.

kc

Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, I tried taking herbs after I had gotten off of HRT a few yrs ago.. No thanks.. It made me feel weird. I can't remember headaches but I do remember it made me feel bad. I ,recently, found out some herbs not sure about these but some can do a number you kindeys. I have kidney stones alot and I sure dont' want anymore things wrong with my kidneys. I think IMO they need to do more research on herbs.
Hope you feel better soon. Polly

Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1216
Hi, I read stuff about headaches and black cohosh. I've never taken it but I've heard that St. John's Wort is a good substitute -never took that either though.

kc
I thought St. John Wort is more for depression?? Herbs may be natural, but it can still be dangerous. I have Black Cohosh too but don't take it either, guess I shoudl toss it in the trash too.

molly

Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #6

LRW HB User

Hi has anyone heard of black cohosh/cohash tea for hot flashes? LRW

Old 09-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #7

ScreenQueen HB User

I've been taking Black Cohosh for almost 6 months and I swear by it. My hot flashes disappeared completely. It's dangerous to make generalities about anything, be it herbs or prescription medicines. Each of us has a different body chemistry, and what doesn't work for one, may work for another.

As far as info on the Internet goes, it's only as reliable as its source.

Herbs have been around for much longer than greedy pharmaceutical companies.

In my case, I'm thrilled with the Black Cohosh.

However, has anyone here discovered their cholesterol levels increase after a drop in estrogen?

Old 09-03-2004, 07:57 PM   #8

Z'sMom HB User

I am taking black cohosh (recently started) mixed in with B complex vitamins and some other herbs in a product called Estroven. So far, it is helpful.

I think the key is to really understand with ANY product you take, what levels are safe & recommended. In our desire to be healthy, we often think that the more milligrams the more result we will see. Often, that is not the case.

For those of you looking at taking or currently on St. John's Wort, there are some cautionary tales there as well. There may be potential side effects related to interaction with certain inhibiting drugs and blood thinning drugs (source is my Dr.). I was told to ABSOLUTELY not take it nor several other herbs while on some antibiotics.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:51 AM   #9

josiefar HB User

A Chinese acupuncturist told me that it is better to take a combination of herbs, not just one by itself. She told me this when I asked her about taking Dong Quai. She said taking it by itself is not good and I should look for a product that has a combination of herbs.

She gave me a product called Angelicae Longona which contains Dong Quai, Astragalus, Jujube, Codonopsis and a few other herbs. I just started taking it so I won't know if it works for a few weeks. I went on the Estroven website and found the ingredients which are black cohosh, soy isoflavones along with other herbs and vitamins so that sounds like a good product to try.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #10

momch HB User

I too take a combination of herbs and vitamins and it has been Wonderful! Black Cohosh, Dong Quai, Magnesium and Vit B6.

I was using another product and had some breast tenderness and my Dr recommended that I go every other day on the product. But with my new one, I have had no problems and I have been taking them every day.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
(female)

noinwi HB User

I took black cohosh for a year or so with no problems. I was taking it along with an HRT(with approval from my naturopath). It relieved the breast tenderness I got from the HRT. I quit taking it when I switched to a different HRT. I never got headaches from it.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I think the black cohosh I was taking may have been too strong for me.I also found out that I was hypothyroid while taking it. That could have had something to do with the headaches. You get headaches with hypothyroid anyway.

Sorry I did not know that at the time

Betty

Closed Thread