It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Branson,Mo
Posts: 75
maddux417 HB User
How to read test results for FSH and LH

Whatever those initials mean. My Dr. ran blood tests the other day and I got the results but have NO idea what they mean. The nurse called me and told me they were normal and I asked if that meant normal for me at 49 or anyone at any age. She said age normal so I asked her where I stood in relation to the process of perimenopause. She said it looked like I was post-menopausal...which is really scary 'cause my periods are as regular as ever. Which leads me to believe that the 'nurse' doesn't have a clue. So, who here can guide me through the process of demystifying these results. I have a page full of numbers and no idea what they mean. Thanks in advance.

 
Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: How to read test results for FSH and LH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux417
Whatever those initials mean. My Dr. ran blood tests the other day and I got the results but have NO idea what they mean. The nurse called me and told me they were normal and I asked if that meant normal for me at 49 or anyone at any age. She said age normal so I asked her where I stood in relation to the process of perimenopause. She said it looked like I was post-menopausal...which is really scary 'cause my periods are as regular as ever. Which leads me to believe that the 'nurse' doesn't have a clue. So, who here can guide me through the process of demystifying these results. I have a page full of numbers and no idea what they mean. Thanks in advance.
Post your numbers and the range limits and we will help interpret them for you.

Andrea

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-24-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Branson,Mo
Posts: 75
maddux417 HB User
Re: How to read test results for FSH and LH

Thanks. I'll try to type this the way it looks on the paper. FSH 12.1 FOLLICULAR PHASE 3.5-12.5 MID-CYCLE PEAK 4.7-21.5 LUTEAL PHASE 1.7-7.7 POSTMENOPAUSAL 25.8-134.8 LH 11.8 FOLLICULAR PHASE 2.4-12.6 MID-CYCLE PEAK 14.0-95.6 LUTEAL PHASE 1.0-11.4 POSTMENOPAUSAL 7.7-58.8 PROLACTIN 7.6 3.4-24.1 TESTOSTERONE,TOTAL 27 0-82 TSH 0.95 0.27-4.20 I'm guessing that some of these numbers are just normal range references but I'm just baffled. I was two weeks past my period when this was taken if that plays any part in interpretation. Any help is appreciated.

 
Old 06-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: How to read test results for FSH and LH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux417
Thanks. I'll try to type this the way it looks on the paper. FSH 12.1 FOLLICULAR PHASE 3.5-12.5 MID-CYCLE PEAK 4.7-21.5 LUTEAL PHASE 1.7-7.7 POSTMENOPAUSAL 25.8-134.8 LH 11.8 FOLLICULAR PHASE 2.4-12.6 MID-CYCLE PEAK 14.0-95.6 LUTEAL PHASE 1.0-11.4 POSTMENOPAUSAL 7.7-58.8 PROLACTIN 7.6 3.4-24.1 TESTOSTERONE,TOTAL 27 0-82 TSH 0.95 0.27-4.20 I'm guessing that some of these numbers are just normal range references but I'm just baffled. I was two weeks past my period when this was taken if that plays any part in interpretation. Any help is appreciated.
what this tells me and I've read enough of these, trust me is #1 you are not ovulating #2 you are definitely perimenopause, you are not menopause cause you still have your period. You many at times not even get a period in some months like starting now or in the future. You are close to menopause though and your TSH is in the low normal ranges and TSH has to do with your thyroid. So what I would do is run a complete thyroid panel, antibodies, Free T4, Free T3 and another TSH together.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

 
Old 06-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Branson,Mo
Posts: 75
maddux417 HB User
Re: How to read test results for FSH and LH

Andrea, Thanks so much for your expert evaluation. Since the Dr.'s office has deemed me 'normal' I don't know if they would be open to running more tests. The reason for the test in the first place is because of the hair loss I have experienced. I don't just mean on my head, although as I sit at my desk at work I feel like the christmas tree that Charlie Brown selected. My hair rains down on my desk, my clothes, my chair....But the most upsetting is the fact that I have almost no pubic hair left. It's kind of demoralizing. Anyway thanks again for the read,... and the ear. M.C.

 
Old 06-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: How to read test results for FSH and LH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux417
Andrea, Thanks so much for your expert evaluation. Since the Dr.'s office has deemed me 'normal' I don't know if they would be open to running more tests. The reason for the test in the first place is because of the hair loss I have experienced. I don't just mean on my head, although as I sit at my desk at work I feel like the christmas tree that Charlie Brown selected. My hair rains down on my desk, my clothes, my chair....But the most upsetting is the fact that I have almost no pubic hair left. It's kind of demoralizing. Anyway thanks again for the read,... and the ear. M.C.
Makes sense about the hair in perimenopause and also low normal TSH and low normal Testerone.

Andrea

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Steriod Use and Blood Test Results Stronginthearm Kidney Disorders 0 04-22-2010 06:55 AM
Please read this, I don't know what to do.. Mandilynne Lymphomas 16 01-31-2010 03:08 AM
Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test t5403cg Herpes 13 11-27-2007 05:48 PM
Could someone help me read my lab reports SHMILY Alternative Medicine 2 06-14-2006 07:56 AM
Read new things about ACLE rashes VeeJ Lupus 24 06-02-2006 05:06 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (72), STLouisgal (30), WhistleDixie (23), missy222 (20), irisrose (19), jojopooh (19), solofelix (17), jw90 (10), georgina77 (9), Hodge64 (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!