It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #1

denise48 HB User
Throat Problem

Has anyone had discomfort in the throat or mouth. I feel like there is a lump in the back of my mouth. I went to the ENT dr. and he said it was build up mucus. I have had this feeling for about 2 months. It does not hurt and I am using a saline to clear my post nasal drip. My primary care dr. checked my thyroid, it is fine. It feels like the back upper part of my mouth behind the nose going part down the throat. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Throat Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise48
Has anyone had discomfort in the throat or mouth. I feel like there is a lump in the back of my mouth. I went to the ENT dr. and he said it was build up mucus. I have had this feeling for about 2 months. It does not hurt and I am using a saline to clear my post nasal drip. My primary care dr. checked my thyroid, it is fine. It feels like the back upper part of my mouth behind the nose going part down the throat. Please help.

sounds like sinus problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #3

Lioness67 HB User

hi denise,
im having the same problem..but I think mine may be related to acid reflux..are you experiencing any heartburn? It may not seem like regular heart "burn"..with mine its just this pressure in throat...no problems swallowing, with occasional liquid appearing when i belch. NO pain but just this annoying pressure in back of throat. I wish I could help more, but Im still in the question area myself. Good luck

Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

I have it on and off. Feels like phlem almost but I have acid reflux and I know that is a part of the problem. It happens real bad at night when I lie down. I also have developed a "daily cough" and I have to clear my throat alot. I have an endo scheduled for Wednesday. I take aciphex and it helps with the heartburn and regurgitation but not with the throat thing. My mom thinks I have a hiatal hernia.

kc

Old 06-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I have this going on. I take Nexium so I don't have the heartburn, just the feeling of tightness or a lump and lots of burping. It could be a hiatal hernia but the current thinking is to control the acid and not do surgery. Anyway, I have decided that this is a symptom of anxiety or GERD. However, it is making me anxious thinking that it is something serious and that does not help to settle the anxiety. Seems like a vicious circle.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

YES! It IS a vicious circle! I was told since this peri stuff that i have GERD. Nexium used to control it and then it stopped working. Aciphex works but not with the throat thing. Are you regurgitating food at all? I don't do it often but if I have a flavored coffee, for example, it comes back up within minutes. This is why they are doing the endo I guess since I still get the chest pain and the throat thing although I'm on medicine. Plus when I have this all going on, it feels "swollen" right below my rib cage - do you get that? When you press on it - I feel the need to burp. Most of the time a burp won't come out. But then later, if I bend over - watch out! Up the burp comes!

kc

Old 06-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I have been taking Nexium since it came out about two years ago. Maybe it has stopped working and I should switch. My husband says that I should double the dose for awhile. I sometimes have the regurgitation but not a lot. At first I felt like I could feel my food go down my esophagus. That lasted a couple of days and I don't feel it so much anymore. I do have a swelling under my left breast bone, it just hurts when I push on it. It doesn't make me burp. Let us know about your endo. I bet it says you have mild gastritis ( everyone does) and GERD plus anxiety. Does Xanax take away your symptoms?

Old 06-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

that's the thing I do not want to admit - YES - xanax takes it ALL AWAY. So I'm believing that this reflux/gerd is all from anxiety. I don't like to admit it because then I think I have head problems so that is when I have to say to myself that this is hormonal - the dr. said that and I have such a hard time believing him. I am going to start seeing a therapist soon - one who can keep me on the xanax and the also a female so I can vent alot!

I also get the food feeling down the throat too. I have to take smaller bites and chew a real lot.

kc

Old 06-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #9

denise48 HB User

No, I do not have any regurgitation, but I do have acid flux, hiatal hernia and all the above. I do watch what I eat. In the evenings my throat and chest do feel a little tight. I had the upper and lower GI, according to the Dr., I am fine. So may be this is apart of GERD. I do take Nexium, but I don't see any difference. I will continue walking in the evening, may be this will relax my stomach and the lump in my throat. Sometimes pills are also a problem.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Denise - won't they fix the hernia for you? I'll tell ya, if this is what I have - I want them to do something with it. No meds seem to really solve the problem with me. And it's strange - it is cyclic - all works around my period because when I have my period - EVERYTHING GOES AWAY - go figure, huh?

KC

Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #11

denise48 HB User

I have an appt. next week. I will ask my dr. about the surgery.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Well, guess I should jump on on this since I have a stomach from hell! I take aciphex and now I take Protonix. I have acid reflex too. I also have IBS. And when it's around my period or when there is any hormone change in my body, they all set on fire, kid you not! The prozac has helped the IBS alot and the protonix or aciphex helped too. So ladies, here we are once again.

Andrea

Old 06-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise48

Hello Denise. I had this same symptom over 10 years ago when my anxiety, reflux an IBS were at their worst. My internal med. prescribed not only Nexium, but also Librax. Librax has been a God send for all my digestive issues. It's prescribed for various digestive ailments. Hope things go well at your doctor's appointment.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I have acid reflux with regurgitation... I've even woken up out of a dead sleep choking - I gather I have aspirated some of it into my lungs in my sleep. it definitely scared the hell out of my husband AND myself.

I quit drinking any sort of tomato or orange juice, limited my pop intake, raised the head of my bed about 6 inches, and take a Zantac every night before I go to bed, and am careful not to eat too much too soon to when I go to bed.

This all started about the same time as the first perimenopausal symptoms started. The effects on my concentration and learning curve led to GREAT anxiety on a new job I had started. Now I have a less stressful job and a better understanding of this GERD stuff.

If I could just have my pre-perimenopausal brain back...

Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Isn't it interesting how we all have just about the same thing? I've been to the digestive and urinary and anxiety boards and I would like to tell many of these women to come to this board - it's everything rolled into one!

Andrea - no period yet? Tomorrow, right? I hope you feel better soon! It's all worse with me right before and once I get to flowing, I feel fine. Interesting, it used to be that week of my period I felt like crap, now I look forward to getting it.

kc

Closed Thread