It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
hot flash question please reply

Discribe to me how it feels when you get a what every one calls a "hot flash". Is it more than just feeling hot and sweaty?
Thanks,
Jacqueline

Last edited by jacqbu; 06-29-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: hot flash question please reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
Discribe to me how it feels when you get a what every one calls a "hot flash". Is it more than just feeling hot and sweaty?
Thanks,
Jacqueline
It can be all types, everyone is different. I get sometimes just hot burny skin, different place of my body which is called flushing. Then I can get hot flashes, with heat rising from my stomach to my face and scalp and then sweat, like now, lol I also get the power surge with it, the overly exerted adrenaline feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
Re: hot flases

Does your heart race with it sometimes? I have it from my legs up but alsways thought that was part of a panic attack. It's a wierd sensation. I'm just about at the end of my rope because of all these strange sensations.

Jacq.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, heart can race with it. Definitely! I hate it too. You can get hot flashes all over your body. And yes, you can get hot flashes with panic too. But remember, perimenopause can come with anxiety, that's why all the panic symptoms are also listed under perimenopause. You would have to treat the perimenopause as you would panic/anxiety. Are u reading any anxiety or panic books? To me, Panic and anxiety are basically the same or are the same, LOL

I know how you feel. I've been there at its worst and I'm there now, but a little more mellower. Tell me something, have you been diagnosed with Panic Disorder? You know Panic Disorder is the most curable of all the disorders. How long have you had these symptoms? And did u get ur blood tests back yet? Also, you are taking a anti-depressant, correct? And it's Zoloft, correct? How long have you been taking it? Are you taking the Ativan they gave you in the ER or do you take another benzo such as Xanax, etc. You may need these for a bit until your anti-depressant kicks in. But the biggest problem in anxiety is, and you would treat perimenopause the same way, try not to watch and get into your body symptoms. Ignore them if you can, or try your best cause it will make it worse if you give them to much credit. Also, I know how uncomfortable it is to have the heart racing, place a cold rag on the back of your neck. Keep walking through all your symptoms, if you can. I had palpitations for the longest, at least 3 months until I began studying and working the anxiety program. they want to come back and probably will, but I willhave to try my best not to give it credit. Take a Xanax or something if the heart is racing too much, take pinches of it until you know what mg will work the best for you. If you overload on it, it will make you tired and out of it and then when it wears off, you will feel shakey or heart racing again. So keep a rythm going. You can get hot flushes all over your body. WE call them flushes, not flashes, the flashes are when you surge all the way up to your face and scalp and then sweat big time. Let me know what's going on to the above questions. I want to help you and hope you will do the same for me.

Thanks

Andrea

Old 06-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Yes I am taking Zoloft and have been for 4 weeks now. The Xanax doesn't always agree with me. The Dr. gave me zyprexa to take at night to help me sleep and help with the anxiety. My test results are not back yet I spoke with the gyn office today. She said she would call if they come in tomorrow. I'm ready to find out whats going on with my hormones and get it under control. I get pains in my left arm and in my chest which is scary. I've had 3 EKG's and wore a heart monitor as well as an echo cardiogram. I'm sure if they saw something they wouldn't let me leave the office, the tech said as much. The EKG's all came out ok. Sometimes I have this strange feeling in my stomach and it goes all the way down. My hands shake when I'm having a bad day. I guess what makes it hard is having to try and go work everyday. I have not cried since Friday, that's a plus. I was getting bad at that. I have leg weakness sometimes. I get tingling/burning sensations in my head, different areas at different times. I've had that heat sensation go all up my body or just the chest up. I never thought of that as a hot flush but as a panic attack so I am learning. That is why I had wanted others to discribe the feeling to me. It's no fun I do know that. There is so much going on. I can't believe that all the times I went to the doctor they didn't suggest that maybe it was perimenopause. I suggested it after reading these boards and I went to the gyn. I hate the chest pains and arm thing because it keeps me on edge.
Thanks for your help,
Jacq.

Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jacq. Did u pick up the book I recommended you read about bad nerves by Dr. Weekes. It's really good and it will help you to understand panic/anxiety. Remember, you can have perimenopause with anxiety/panic and yoiu need to accept the anxiety part. You will feel better when you do cause alot of us have it. I have or had all the symptoms you mentioned to and it comes with panic/anxiety disorder and with perimenopause. So accept them both and let time pass. My hands shake too. Also, the arm pain and the chest pain can come from acid reflex, does your stomach burn? But in the book I mentioned above, it mentions about the heart and the pain in the arm and panic and that you can overcome all of this. Let me know about your tests, okay?

Best to ya,

Andrea

Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 AM   #7

sgwlamb HB User

Hello everyone. I am new to this. Just wanting to know more about these hot flashes. A couple of months ago I started having "spells" where I felt I was goig to pass out and then my heart would race. Several vistits to the ER without anything showing. Told I was having a panic attack. I decided to go to a cardiologist. He did an echo, ekg, in the office. No problem. Then did heads up tilt test. Said I did not pass, but did not fail (?) placed on atenolol to block receptors in heart, which causes heart to race. could not tolerated. thaen he did a stress test (? abnormal/not diagnostic) Then heart cath. (normal) put on Lexapro. Now I have a rach, and am unable to take it. Yesterday I got the same "fainty feeling" and heart racing. Then I am sure I had a hot flash. since then I have had another with the same feeling. GP put me on prempro last week because my FSH level was 53.4 and she said this would help. Anyone else have these symptoms? any ideas?
thanks

Old 08-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwlamb
Hello everyone. I am new to this. Just wanting to know more about these hot flashes. A couple of months ago I started having "spells" where I felt I was goig to pass out and then my heart would race. Several vistits to the ER without anything showing. Told I was having a panic attack. I decided to go to a cardiologist. He did an echo, ekg, in the office. No problem. Then did heads up tilt test. Said I did not pass, but did not fail (?) placed on atenolol to block receptors in heart, which causes heart to race. could not tolerated. thaen he did a stress test (? abnormal/not diagnostic) Then heart cath. (normal) put on Lexapro. Now I have a rach, and am unable to take it. Yesterday I got the same "fainty feeling" and heart racing. Then I am sure I had a hot flash. since then I have had another with the same feeling. GP put me on prempro last week because my FSH level was 53.4 and she said this would help. Anyone else have these symptoms? any ideas?
thanks
You are definitely either in meno or perimenopause. That's a high FSH. Also, it is very common to get heart racing, even that adrenaline anxiety in pit of stomach before a hot flash. Hot flashes is heat and this can be all over or just the chest and head/face or hot flushes, hot stingy skin all over or different locations but no sweating.

Andrea

Old 08-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

I have pain in my left arm too. I kind of think it is a tendonitis thing. I had an EKG too when I freaked out about it, but nothing was wrong, so I dont want to keep being a fool and keep getting EKG's. Tendonitis and carpul tunnel are peri symptoms also. I want to quote to you from the book "take Charge of the Change" by Pamela Smith. this is how she defined a hot flash and boy did it help me. I thought I had some weird disease." If you had a hot flash, you know exactly what I am describing. It may just be a passing of warmth in the face or upper body, or it may be a shower of sweat followed by chills. When flashes occur with drentching perperation during the night, they're called night sweats. Feelings of anxiety and tension may proceed the flash, and an increase heart rate, tingling in the hands, dizziness, or nausea may accompany it. Some women experience heart palpatations as well, which can be frightening if unexpected"

Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #10

sgwlamb HB User

I broke out in a sweat after and then got chills. Does this make sense?

Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 AM   #11
(female)

joyka HB User

My hot flashes feel just like someone turned the heat way up....it is a gradual warming up sensation. I keep a thermometer on my desk to verify that the heat has not been turned up. I never get the " starts at the stomach" stuff and I don't break out into a sweat......although during the night, especially at 3:30 in the a.m. I wake up and am hot and my gown is slightly damp every single night (especially if Mr. Cat is curled up next to me!!!). It takes a while to cool back down and then go back to sleep. I wish I were retired and could deal with all this and sleep whenever I am tired but I have a job.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I get a feeling of tightening in my stomach, a tightness of the throat, and I guess that is the adrenaline surge. Then my face gets red and I start to perspire profusely. It lasts for about 5 minutes and then I cool off. It is scary. When I get the initial feeling, I feel as if I am having a heart attack. However, I just wait and within 30 seconds, the redness and heat start. Been doing this for 3 years now.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I get a feeling of tightening in my stomach, a tightness of the throat, and I guess that is the adrenaline surge. Then my face gets red and I start to perspire profusely. It lasts for about 5 minutes and then I cool off. It is scary. When I get the initial feeling, I feel as if I am having a heart attack. However, I just wait and within 30 seconds, the redness and heat start. Been doing this for 3 years now.

The worse part of it all is the adrenaline surge (power surge).

Closed Thread