It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 04:59 AM   #1

mtngrl57 HB User
Peri and weight gain! Has anyone tried chromium picolinate?

I was in the store looking at all the vitamins on the shelves yesterday. I came across something called, Chromium Picolinate. Has anyone tried this in the help to lose some of the weight that we gain with peri menopause?

I want to lost the extra 20 pounds that I have gained in two years. I want to lose the weight I gained before that also. This is so frustrating to gain weight and no matter how hard I excersise I can not lose the weight! I am not a big eater either!

I am currently taking rejuvex, magnisim, calcium, zinc. I also take lexapro and nadalol. The nadalol is for the assistance with terrible migraines.

I want to feel good again!

Sorry, I guess this is one of the bad days.

I suppose it would help if I felt important to my husband at all. It seems we can not talk about anything anymore. If I don't agree with his point of view then I am wrong and a terrible person. I am afraid he is becoming his mother more and more. She sent me an awful email two weeks after I lost my mom. I thought that she finally slipped up by sending me the email so that I would have concrete proof as to the way she has talked to me over the almost 30 years her son and I have been married. Of course, she is totally different when he is around. I am tired of hiding away crying or feeling as though I just don't want to even be here anymore.

I am trying very hard to keep everything in perspective. It sure gets hard some days.

Anyone have any ideas that I have not tried as far as vit. etc?
Our insurance changed on the 1st so I am about to make a doctor appointment with a new doctor.

I sure do appreciate the people on this board.

Thanks,
C (o:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
Inactive

beautyqueen911 HB User
Re: Peri and weight gain! Has anyone tried chromium picolinate?

Chromium Pic. will do nothing to help you lose weight. I tried everything possible until last August I joined Weight Watchers. Their points program is the only thing that helped me lose the weight and keep it off. Its very easy to follow, and you can basically eat what you want, you just have to keep track of the points. And, after the first four meetings, you don't have to go back, you have all the materials you need to do it yourself at home. Also, have you tried natural progesterone cream? This also helped me with all the symptoms of peri, including the weight gain. Make sure you are getting enough calcium/magnesium, and you might want to also try Vitex (chasteberry). This has helped me tremendously with the PMS symptoms which are also part of perimeno. Let me know if you need more info, and I can tell you exactly what I am taking.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #3

mtngrl57 HB User

I have not heard of Vitex. That sounds interesting. Tried the Weight watcher thing with my mom before. It didn't seem to help either of us for some reason. I haven't given up yet though.

I would love to know what else you are doing and taking to help with your symptoms if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you very much,
(o:

Old 07-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran

lateeth HB User

MtnGrl, yours is the first post i have read on this board. I know it is a week later now and i am just hoping things have improved in your life. The weight gain is a bitc.....
I gained 15 pounds in 6 months and then 2 years later another 5. Trying to get it off seems impossible. I did finally break thru to lose 4 pounds when i could only eat a little food for 4 days due to tooth pain, so i guess starving works!!! Being depressed about all the body changes in your life is pretty natural, and husbands often don't seem to be sympathetic which makes us hostile towards them. I hope you two can figure out how to comunicate better. It's something i also am working on (but seem to be getting nowhere too). I hope this post does not sound too depressing to you, but i think the key to weight loss for me is to keep away, far away, from the chips. I stay away from the junk for 3-4 days, see no progress in weight loss and then succumb to the next bowl of salsa i see. After my tooth pain weight loss, i see i really can lose weight, but it is just much harder than it used to be. (it was always hard for me but it is worse now)

Old 07-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Never heard of Chromium Picolinate and am not too keen on taking any pill or supplements to help lose weight. I would worry about the side effects and feeling weird.

Try eating smaller portions (cup size) several times (6X) a day instead. I read this is the way peri-meno women should be eating. I use resistance bands with my workouts too. Seems to make a big difference.

Also, don't expect to lose weight quickly. Take your time...it is the best way to lose it. It won't happen overnight! Also, make it part of your lifestyle to eat as healthy as you can, but don't derive yourself either - eat the more fattening stuff if you want - but in moderation! I lost about 25 lbs. the past 3 years. Lost 10 lbs. in a week last year when I was stricken with peri-meno symptoms -- anxiety does this to me!

molly

Old 07-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

ooh! ooh! Is this where I get to sing the praises of Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan??

Before I launch into that, however, let me vent a little on this whole metabolism tanking with peri-menopause thing. How come they don't teach this during health class?? If I'd had ANY clue that my metabolism would go into the toilet in my 40's you can BET MONEY I would have changed the way I ate!

Anyhoo, after trying diets ad nauseum and failing at them, I finally stumbled upon the Fat Flush Plan. Did the whole yeah right. Suuuuuuuuuure it will work thing but tried it anyway, principally because it said it would rid me of cellulite (nearly a life-long companion, by the way). Well, I'm happy to report that it NOT ONLY did rid me of my cellulite (YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!) but also helped me drop 58 pounds (happy dancing, I tell you what!).

Since I started the FFP (over a year ago) I haven't had ANY migraines, either (you know that migraines are usually diet-related, right?). Sooooooo...check it out! What have you got to lose?

best wishes,
charli
203/146/150 on the Fat Flush Plan for life
51, menopausal and perky to the max

Old 07-14-2004, 12:56 AM   #7
Veteran

lateeth HB User

What's gittlemens fat flush plan? I do not like to take too many things but i certainly would like to flush some fat!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateeth
What's gittlemens fat flush plan? I do not like to take too many things but i certainly would like to flush some fat!
The Fat Flush Plan, by Ann Louise Gittleman, is a book. Tells you how to eat more healthy foods (and which foods) and the beauty of it is...you lose weight AND start feeling better in other ways (for instance, since I've been following FF, I don't need to use conditioner in my hair or moisturizer on my skin.

Check out the book from your local library or at amazon.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #9

mtngrl57 HB User

Gee, I haven't checked the messages in a while!
I was happy to see all of your responses! Thanks!

I have learned to eat small meals since I had all of my kids. It has gotten so frustrating to work out and go for walks and stay as busy as I do and still not lose like I need to do.

I will give that Fat Flush Plan a try!

I do have a doctor appointment with a new "female" doctor next week. I am going to see if she can send me for what ever tests I need to, I guess, basically confirm that I am peri.

At least knowing that the problems I have been having do have a name, it is a bit easier to deal with. At least I can try to take some kind of control of it.

I didn't do so well with the Dr. Phil program. I got frustrated with many things. I do feel his plan works though. I just need to stay focused.

Familiy things get me distracted and I have tended to slack.

I will give it a try! Thank you so much for the responses ladies!!!!
Mtn. (o;

Closed Thread