It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #1

rosyposy HB User
Question Could I be experiencing the peri thing?

Please help. I have been searching for an answer to my symptoms and thanks to your posts i feel some relief that i may have found what is wrong with me. I am 41 and for the last year i have been feeling wierd (and anxious at times). i don't get hot flashes but my periods are three weeks apart, sometimes brown. i get a fuzzy woozy feeling and wonder if i am anaemic or diabetic or something. i get nausea and at times feel totally unwell and washed out. sometimes it feels like my blood is rushing around my body at top speed, and my ears sometimes ring. my skin is dry and i suddenly seem sensitive to perfumed soaps, i get vulva itch after my period, my hair is suddenly turning grey, my sinuses often ache, my cheeks get puffy and red, and there are little brown spots now on the side of my face. i get headaches around my eyes and pins and needles in my feet. my arms are often sore. i am usually skinny, but now i have a pot belly and my butt is getting big. the worst part is my vision, this is scary as it is often blurry and everything spacy and out of focus. also black floaters in front of my eyes. i have been to the doc a few times worried that there is something really wrong ie i wondered if i had an infection or an std. i have been prescribed thrush cream and i know it was not thrush. the tests showed no std. i have had antibiotic eye cream three times but i still get fuzzy vision. i have not had tests for diabetes or thyroids or anything (i hadn't even thought of those until i saw this site). my doctor suggested it was nerves and prescribed antidepressants. i did not take these as i am convinced it is a health issue not a mental health issue. i went to the optometrist and now have expensive reading glasses. i have had three days off work this week as i feel spaced out and just plain sick. i am really worried but feel ashamed to go to the doc in case they think i am a hypochondriac or loopy. what do you think? could it be this peri menopausal thing? i would really appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by rosyposy; 07-09-2004 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Re: Could I be experiencing the peri thing?

Hi rosyposy,

Believe me we have all been there in feeling very much not ourselves and plain sick at times so I empathize greatly.

Just by your age from what I have read you are in peri and some of the symptoms you mention indicate that. Before I get into those, let me ask if you have seen your gyn? Or is your dr.who you go to for your gyn appts. I find that my gyn. is much more in tune with the "peri thing" and has been a big help. She is a woman also which I think helps right there with understanding. Not to say that male gyns or drs. do not understand but I think it is rare from what my experience and others have been. I would find a new doctor if you feel you are not getting the attention you need from your present one. And also do not worry that if you go back to your doctor that you may sound as you put it like a "hypochondriac". If he makes you feel that way then you should get a new one, since at this time there are so many different symptoms that affect women and no question is stupid when you have something you want to ask.

I just turned 50 but I do feel my symptoms came up at first in my early to mid 40s. My periods changed from clockwork every 28 days to coming closer together...every 23 or 24. The brown discharge you mention is something I also used to have just at the end of my period but thru peri I have it more so during my period and sometimes a little bit in between depending on the month. PMS has been longer and also not necessarily two weeks before my period, so therefore a longer one. My gyn said peri is like a prolonged PMS. I have found that to be true. The past two months my period has come at day 31 so not sure what to expect this month. I did have a very light brown tinge around two weeks ago and I have had that before and brought it up to my gyn. She said it was old blood and not to be concerned. Since my gyn appts are up to date and I have gone to her for my concerns I feel comfortable knowing that all this seemingly abnormal stuff is quite normal for this time.

The anxiety which all these new symptoms create is the big problem I think and you are not alone in this. I was at my worst with the anxiety in Mar and early April and the gyn did suggest an antidepressant. I was at a point where I felt I should try it and did but I did not tolerate it stomach wise and so was not on it for more than 5 days to a week. For me I was glad I did not go on it as I felt it was more anxiety than depression and wanted to take something as needed. She gave me xanax which I take when we go on trips where we fly as I do not like flying , and I did end up taking that as needed , not often though, during March and April when things were rougher for me.

What has changed since then is that I have I feel come to realize this is peri and there will be some weird feelings or strange symptoms and since I have checked them out and it is not anything to worry about, I try not to. I also got a book that was recommended on this site that I highly recommend to you. It is called The Pause. it goes thru every symptom and why we have it and suggestions to deal with them. I also find for me, Vitamin B complex helps to take daily for the anxiety and also I am taking Estroven which is a natural vitamin/mineral supplement my gyn suggested. Those two and my multivitamin and E are the things I take and have found it working so far. Everyone is different though and I am sure others will check in with what they are doing to cope. Before taking anything I'd talk it over with my doctor as everyone is very individual. I have also found increasing my exercise and doing Pilates has helped with my anxiety over these peri issues.

Reading this board will definitely help you to see that others are going thru the same thing. I hope you will join in and talk with everyone as I think that in itself helps to know you are not alone.

rmc

Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Inactive

beautyqueen911 HB User

This definitely sounds like perimenopause. You need to get started on taking supplements and possibly a natural progesterone cream or estrogen. The first thing to do is call a few pharmacies and get a recommendation of a pharmacy that does natural compounding. Once you find one, call it and have them recommend a doctor that will give you a prescription for the naturally compounded progesterone cream. Then call this doctor and make an appt. Even if you don't need the cream, you will have found a doctor that knows about perimenopause and what you can do about it. Also, read Dr. John Lee's book "What your doctor may not tell you about perimenopause". It will tell you all about the symptoms you are experiencing, and what you can do about it. You are not alone, I had many of your symptoms and they all started right around age 42 and I am 48 now. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find out.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

yep, everything posted here sounds like what I would have said and typed. It also sound alot like me. I'm 45, will be 46 in November.

Andrea

Old 07-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

kitkatb112 HB User

Oh my I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms. I figured it was peri by reading sites like this. Someone recommended me a book I think is called before the change, and it is not a user friendly book. I was so confused by the end of it. It doesn't take much to confuse us going through peri, what was the author thinking? Sorry for the mini rant, it does not take much to set me off lately.

I would really check with a gyn on your symptoms. Good luck and keep us posted.

Kathy

Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatb112
Oh my I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms. I figured it was peri by reading sites like this. Someone recommended me a book I think is called before the change, and it is not a user friendly book. I was so confused by the end of it. It doesn't take much to confuse us going through peri, what was the author thinking? Sorry for the mini rant, it does not take much to set me off lately.

I would really check with a gyn on your symptoms. Good luck and keep us posted.

Kathy

KitKat, check out the book called "The Pause" It is not confusing and will explain all the symptoms to the T!

Andrea

Old 07-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #7

rosyposy HB User

Wow, thank you all so much for replies. It means a lot to know there are women out there who empathise with me. I was sooooo worried about what has been happening to my body. Thank you for the great tips, I will make that appt with a gyn and check out the pharmacies and supplements. What a relief to know there is finally an answer for all this weirdness. To those of you who experienced or are experiencing similar symptoms, I really feel for you. How freaky is that spacy feeling ? I was wondering if I was going to topple over last week!
cheers, rosyposy

Last edited by rosyposy; 07-11-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 AM   #8

rosyposy HB User

oops, i posted the same message twice

Last edited by rosyposy; 07-11-2004 at 12:41 AM. Reason: posted twice

Old 07-11-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
(female)

kitkatb112 HB User

Thanks Ainfante! I will get the book asap.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your welcome, KitKat.

Andrea

Old 07-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #11

rosyposy HB User

just popped in again to have another look at your responses. thanks again rmc and beautyqueen, i appreciate your suggestions and info. very reassuring to know i am not about to keel over or something.
i checked out my local bookstore for 'the pause'. they said they are not able to get it. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks

Old 07-13-2004, 07:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I just received "The Pause" from Amazon.com. They have it and mine was delivered in two days. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:58 AM   #13
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Rosy, I ordered mine from Half.com, should be here in a few days, I'm anxious to read it. I get tons of books and movies from there, and cheaper if you don't mind gently used.
Have a great day!!!
Conni

Old 07-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyposy
just popped in again to have another look at your responses. thanks again rmc and beautyqueen, i appreciate your suggestions and info. very reassuring to know i am not about to keel over or something.
i checked out my local bookstore for 'the pause'. they said they are not able to get it. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks

Try amazon.com, that's where I bought mine. Just type in the name of the book, "The Pause"

Andrea

Old 07-13-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi everyone,

Yes, I agree it is a great book and I think the fact that it goes thru each symtpom very clearly helps.

Hope everyone is having a good week. I got my period albeit a weird one, yesterday at 28 days...(which is what I usually would get it at until I started getting it earlier at day 23 ; then it went to day 31 these last two months)...anyway, some flow and then later in the day nothing!! Then some brown , now a lot of flow again today!! But I have had this happen before and I just think at this time from what my gyn said and I have read that things just act..whacky!! Like I sometimes feel!! LOL!!

rmc

Closed Thread