It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 AM   #1

DebraL HB User
Paxil side effects

I have been taking Paxil for anxiety for a few weeks. I am confused as to what are peri symptoms and what are side effects of the drug. I am sure it is causing some nausea and dizziness, but many here say so does the peri. I dont like taking ANY drugs so what kind of luck has anyone had with magnesium and the B vitamins? Does Estroven or such help with anxiety?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: Paxil side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraL
I have been taking Paxil for anxiety for a few weeks. I am confused as to what are peri symptoms and what are side effects of the drug. I am sure it is causing some nausea and dizziness, but many here say so does the peri. I dont like taking ANY drugs so what kind of luck has anyone had with magnesium and the B vitamins? Does Estroven or such help with anxiety?
I have been taking Paxil CR since February of this year. The only side effect I have experienced is being sleepy. That lasted for about 3 or 4 weeks and went away. I started on the 12.5 mg and my doctor raised me to 25mg I have been on that dosage for 5 weeks. If you are not taking the CR you might try that. The CR means continous release, so it doesn't hit your system all at once therefore some of the usual side effects are not experienced. I have had very good sucess with a combination of Paxil CR and a natural progesterone cream made by a compounding pharmacist in our area.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I take Prozac which is also an ssri uptake anti-depressant. I have noticed that it makes me feel a little dizzy and hungry, the latter I really didn't need. I'm taking only 10mg and the doc wants me to up it to eventually 20mg. Penny is right, if you can take Paxil CR instead, that would be great and you won't get hit with it all at one time. I would just try to walk through the dizziness, it won't make you pass out, only feel that way, LOL but you will be okay. Just try not to get into the body's sensitation, this is what's causing you to have more anxiety. I've been through a rough ride of anxiety for the past 4 months, so if you want to chat with me about it, I'm here for you. Now I still have the tremors, but not as severe, my IBS is better, stillhaven't gotten a period, skipped all of June and it's July 12th and still no period. I'm 45 and definitely perimenopause. I even get twitches in my body and eye and finger, LOL I have had it all!

Andrea

Old 07-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Debra,
I have been takng Paxil CR 12.5 mg (lowest dose) since Dec. 03. Had no side effects really. Did feel tired the first couple of weeks but don't know if it's from the Paxil CR or from peri-meno symptoms since I was already experiencing extreme fatigue months before. I don't like taking any drugs either but a girl gotta do whatever it takes to feel better during this awful time. Started to feel "normal" mid-Jan. 04. Been fine since. Am still on Paxil CR, taking magnesium, vits B6, B12, B complex, C, E, zinc, calcium w/D, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, drink Revival soy shakes, and working out everyday. Did take Estroven for 3 months - didn't notice anything.

I agree wtih Penny - if you're not on the Paxil CR but just regular Paxil, you might want to give the CR a try instead. If you don't feel better after a couple of weeks, try another SSRI. All of us respond differently to these drugs.

Hang in there!
molly P.S. Hi Penny! Long time no hear from ya!

Old 07-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #5

PennyD HB User

Hi Molly!
Sorry I have not posted in awhile. I have been trying to catch up on all the work I got behind on during this "ordeal'! And do my regular incoming work as well. I do think about you and all the ladies on the board and pray that you all are doing better. I am really beginning to get a grip on this thing. Thank God! I have felt so much better on the 25mg Paxil CR and using the Natural Progesterone Cream more days in the month. I am almost back to my old self. If I can remember what that was like... you know I have this peri thing going on and it affects my memory somtimes! LOL I have begun to wean on the Klonopin. I should be off of the .5 mg at noon by the end of next week. Then I will start to wean on 1mg at night. I really want to get off of it, I have just been in such a bad way with the anxiety thing until the past 3 or 4 weeks. Like I said I think the 25 mg Paxil CR has REALLY helped. I trust you are ok and have not had another cycle sneek up on you! Write and let me know how you are and I promise to post more. This board and you were so vital to me a few months back. I want to give back encouragement to someone like you all have given to me.
Hugs,
Penny

Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Penny,
So glad to hear that you're on the road to feeling better. Glad that the 25mg Paxil CR has helped. Isn't it great to start feeling like your old self again? Have you been walking? Hope your babies are fine....

Been feeling pretty good, but lately seem to be feeling "hot" (in the face, sweaty). Don't know if it's the humidity, from working out, or what! I think it's hot flashes again - noticed I've been getting sweaty at night lately. Haven't had this for a long time! grrr!!! Still achy in the mornings but much less - think the workout I have been doing is helping. Some days, feel more tired too - think it's b/c of not sleeping enough..... trying not to think or get myself into analyzing too much on every little thing I'm feeling; otherwise, I get myself all stressed (anxiety!). I'm not complaining....what little I'm having now is nothing in comparison to last year! I'm thankful!!!

Dope, haven't had another cycle yet....think Aunt Flo lost her way and visited the wrong house last month! LOL! Take care....keep in touch!

Molly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Hi Molly!
Sorry I have not posted in awhile. I have been trying to catch up on all the work I got behind on during this "ordeal'! And do my regular incoming work as well. I do think about you and all the ladies on the board and pray that you all are doing better. I am really beginning to get a grip on this thing. Thank God! I have felt so much better on the 25mg Paxil CR and using the Natural Progesterone Cream more days in the month. I am almost back to my old self. If I can remember what that was like... you know I have this peri thing going on and it affects my memory somtimes! LOL I have begun to wean on the Klonopin. I should be off of the .5 mg at noon by the end of next week. Then I will start to wean on 1mg at night. I really want to get off of it, I have just been in such a bad way with the anxiety thing until the past 3 or 4 weeks. Like I said I think the 25 mg Paxil CR has REALLY helped. I trust you are ok and have not had another cycle sneek up on you! Write and let me know how you are and I promise to post more. This board and you were so vital to me a few months back. I want to give back encouragement to someone like you all have given to me.
Hugs,
Penny

Old 07-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #7

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi Penny,
So glad to hear that you're on the road to feeling better. Glad that the 25mg Paxil CR has helped. Isn't it great to start feeling like your old self again? Have you been walking? Hope your babies are fine....

Been feeling pretty good, but lately seem to be feeling "hot" (in the face, sweaty). Don't know if it's the humidity, from working out, or what! I think it's hot flashes again - noticed I've been getting sweaty at night lately. Haven't had this for a long time! grrr!!! Still achy in the mornings but much less - think the workout I have been doing is helping. Some days, feel more tired too - think it's b/c of not sleeping enough..... trying not to think or get myself into analyzing too much on every little thing I'm feeling; otherwise, I get myself all stressed (anxiety!). I'm not complaining....what little I'm having now is nothing in comparison to last year! I'm thankful!!!

Dope, haven't had another cycle yet....think Aunt Flo lost her way and visited the wrong house last month! LOL! Take care....keep in touch!

Molly
HI Molly,
I ovulated on my 15th day this cycle and spotted the next day! Weird--- I have ovulated two cycles in a row. I have not done that since all this started last August. I am walking my "babies" every day, but like I said it is only moving around not power walking! My youngest Roxy(7yo) has been sick this week, Trace(10yo) was sick two weeks ago. Vomiting, vet says it is the inhalant allergies we are having now. It is SO humid here you can hardly breathe outside. I am offically off the .5 mg Klonopin at noon today!! I know not a big thing, but it is to me. To decrease a med shows progress and I am happy about that. I will start to wean off the 1 mg at night next week. Thanks for "riding this roller coaster" with me the past few months. I know I have alot more dips and hills, but at least for now things are better. Hope you have a great weekend, and the hot flashes abate.
Penny

Old 07-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
All that you have mentioned are good for peri and yes, you can get very nauseas with peri and with anxiety, also with drugs, so it could be just a combination. Magenesium is excellent for anxiety, but it wasn't enough for me. I've heard of Paxil and I know it can have side effects to it, but they generally wean away after you've been on the med for 4 weeks or so. I get dizzy, can't tell if it is from peri since I've not had a period now for 2 months, but wondering if it is the Prozac also. I can't really tell, I think I had the dizzy's or that off balance feeling before I started Prozac. If you do not feel well of this med, then ask your doctor to switch you, there are many ssri drugs out there.

Andrea

Closed Thread