It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Inactive

beautyqueen911 HB User
Joint pain

Does anyone get this? Joint pain off and on especially in my upper back, shoulder area, right leg. I don't even do anything...not even exercising right now. Left arm also hurts off and on. Just like all my muscles have had a really good workout, and I haven't! Anyone take anything for this? I've heard Glucosamine is supposed to be good...let me know!

Old 07-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Re: Joint pain

Yes, I started getting joint pain. I do have some in the upper back but mine is primarily at night and I have to keep turning in my bed because my hips ache if I stay on one side too long.
I have heard it can be caused by many things, including a calcium deficiency and the beginning of osteoporosis (women are at risk for this during and after menopause). Have you been checked for osteoporosis by your doctor? There are meds you can take to keep it in check and build up your bones.
Also, soft drinks drain calcium from your body as well - but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my one Diet Pepsi a day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #3

mtngrl57 HB User

I was told that I have arthr. and that was about 17 years ago now. My joints hurt from that, but lately my elbows hurt and today my shoulder hurts!
Has anyone ever had trouble with their feet hurting terribly? Especially when you first get up in the morning? I want to go look for some new walking shoes to see if that will help. My feet truely hurt the worst. I love to walk too! My knees have been hurting more lately. I could not stand it if my joints hurt so bad that I will not be able to get around as usual.
Oh, I almost forgot! I don't know if this is the norm for peri. I feel as though I have some how pulled something in my right thigh. At the top of my right thigh. It hurts to walk. I have not had anything like this before. Man it is hard getting use to this stage in my life!
I am tired of falling apart!
I hope you are all feeling better!
(o:

Old 07-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

HI,

I just saw this thread and could really relate to what was being said about joint pain and also what mtngrl57 said : ". I feel as though I have some how pulled something in my right thigh. At the top of my right thigh. It hurts to walk. I have not had anything like this before. Man it is hard getting use to this stage in my life!" YES, I have been feeling that too and I do have back problems and have had it checked out. I am seeing a chiropractor at the moment and it helps some along with exercises I have been given for it. My gyn and dr. said that during peri these things will flare up more and I have found that. I also find that right around my period or when I am going thru a more trying peri time , my back and my ankle (which I also have problems with from injuries) also act up.

rmc

Old 07-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

I wake up feeling achy. At first, I thought it was lower backpain. Now, it seems to have shifted to my right waist/hip area and is more of a joint pain. It is much better once I move around and after exercise, but it seems to always reappear in the middle of the night while laying in bed (got a new mattress even). Those of you who are having joint pain - is there anything you are taking or doing that helps ?

molly

Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
(female)

janet23 HB User

I have joint pain also, but I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis several years ago. However, the pain I have now is different from the reactive arthritis kind, so I figured this is just regular arthritis (yes, middle age IS a pain). My feet are a major pain area; my doctor was pleased that I wear
Birkenstocks because they allow the foot to spread out. Even my tennis shoes hurt my feet, so now I have to try to walk on the treadmill in the Birkenstocks. I have found that Bextra eases the joint pain (Rx) and sometimes I take Vioxx, also Rx. I am 49 and had a partial hysterectomy about 7 years ago, so I don't really know where I stand in the menopause department. Have some hot flashes but no other major symptoms unless this joint pain has something to do with it.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

It got so bad I went back to my doctor, after buying a new mattress first (wish I'd saved the money wasted on that mattress) Anyway, she told me to take Tylenol Pm at night and it works very well, plus helps me sleep. If the pain reappears, she is giving me cortisone shots in the hips. She says it is bursitis and DOES happen frequently to women in menopause (oh, joy, another thing to look forward to for us). But she says the Tylenol and cortisone often makes it go away and not come back. I'm hoping.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
(female)

FATNANA HB User
Smile Re: Joint pain

I am new to this issue, since I have been thinking it is thyroid related, my gyn has suggested that it is more likely menopause.

I HAVE ALL OF THOSE SYMPTOMS, HIPS, FEET, SHOULDERS, ELBOWS, WRISTS....EVERY JOINT BUT MY JAW !!! (At least that's what my husband says...lol)

I am very despondent about the incredible weight gain after quitting smoking a year ago to enable me to donate my kidney to my son. That being done, I need to work on me. I weigh more today than I have ever in my entire life including pregnancy.

All suggestions are appreciated. I am on a low dose thyroid med, 25 mcg. I want this weight off. I want to feel human again.

Closed Thread