It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #1

miller01 HB User
testing for hormones...

Which is the best way to test your hormone levels? I want to try saliva since I have read that this is more accurate. Anyone try this way? If so, which lab was used and did they send the test AND results directly to you?

I want to start using progesterone cream...but think I should get saliva progesterone level check first. I also have hypothyroidism. Who knows what else...

I think I am suffering from estrogen dominance...just discovered uterine fibroid last month.

HELP!!

Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: testing for hormones...

I have done the saliva test and found it a better gauge of my hormnones then the blood test, which can change day to day. In fact I also had a blood test done the same time of the saliva test and to compare the results were very different. I had an accupuncturist give it to me and I sent it in to the lab after I did it. I do not know where you live, but I would guess if you looked up an accupunturist or natural doctor in the phone book , someone can lead you to how to obtain the test. You can purchase it online but you need someone to read it for you. I truly believe it is better. I live in L.A. and there was an article in the L.A. Times last week saying that blood tests for hormones are pretty useless because they only reflect the hormones in that moment which could change the next day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: testing for hormones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller01
Which is the best way to test your hormone levels? I want to try saliva since I have read that this is more accurate. Anyone try this way? If so, which lab was used and did they send the test AND results directly to you?

I want to start using progesterone cream...but think I should get saliva progesterone level check first. I also have hypothyroidism. Who knows what else...

I think I am suffering from estrogen dominance...just discovered uterine fibroid last month.

HELP!!

I read an article in JAMA and saw an interview on the NBC Today show with Dr. Cario from Mt. Sinai hospital in New York City and they both believe that although the saliva and blood test might be a good starting point doctors should be considering their patient's symptoms. The lack of reliable testing has caused many of us perimenopausal women to go through needless stress at the hands of our doctors. It can be rather upsetting to hear that you're "too young", or that all the test results show that you're not menopausal when we are experiencing some of the most horrific symptoms.

Dr. Cario spoke of many women who had been referred to psychiatrists after their primary doctors found nothing conclusive from their bloodwork. The psychiatrist were then referring the women back to Dr. Cario because they suspected that their problem were hormonal. I went through that same patient passing scenario before I was finally diagnosed with perimenopause. There has got to be a better way.

Closed Thread