It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Sarafem???

Anyone taking Sarafem? Has it helped with peri/meno symptoms?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Sarafem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
Anyone taking Sarafem? Has it helped with peri/meno symptoms?

Thanks!
Serafem is the new Prozac drug and I'm taking Prozac, was given a prescription for Serafem by my gyne but my insurance would only cover the generic. Yes, it will help alot! I know others taking it also and they are doing great! Good luck!

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

[I][I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Serafem is the new Prozac drug and I'm taking Prozac, was given a prescription for Serafem by my gyne but my insurance would only cover the generic. Yes, it will help alot! I know others taking it also and they are doing great! Good luck!

Andrea

Thanks Andrea. I picked up the Sarafem 10mg. today and will take my first pill tonight. I'm hoping that it helps me to sleep better. I saw an interview on the NBC Today show about a week ago about perimenopause. The woman that they interviewed was prescribed Sarafem for her perimenopausal symptoms with included irrational mood swings, irritability, and loss of libido.

I was so thankful to see that perimenopause is getting more publicity, research and that more doctors are becoming aware of the difficulty many of us are dealing with at this time in our lives. Eventually we won't have to hear that false and disturbing statement, "Honey, you're too young to be going through menopause." Let me get off my soapbox.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL Me too.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Okay, this is day 4 or 5 of taking Sarafem an I'm still feeling dizzy and spacey. Is this common...how long does it usually last? I want to give this med. at least 3 weeks to see if it's really working, but I can not tolerate additional dizziness. I already feel lightheaded daily from perimenopause. Guess I'll take the med. at night and continue to pray that it works.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully, I've been on Prozac now for 8 weeks and I stil feel light headed or dizzy. This is also an perimenopause/anxiety feeling and it might not totally go away with Serafem. The best suggestion I can give you here, my friend, is keep talking to us here who have the same symptoms and also do not pay attention to it, try to keep going through it. You can report this to your doc but usually they want you on the med for at least 4-6 weeks before it will work fully. Also, even if you get off of it, you may still feel dizzy, I did before I even took Prozac. You might want to take a pinch of a benzo drug such as Xanax, not a strong mg. it will knock you out, but it may help until your body gets used to everything. Don't give up, whatever you do.

Andrea

Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
(female)

kbharley HB User

Hopefully,

I am also on Serefem. I had to take it at night because of the dizziness/sleepiness. I have been on it for about 6 months now. It works wonders for my mood, but doesn't seem to help the night sweats or headaches or hot flashes. I also have noticed a decline in my libido. I talked to my husband about this and he said he would take the mood improvement over sex. Thank goodness.

Oh, my doctor prescribed this for PMDD. He said, at 42, I was too young to be going through menopause.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbharley
Hopefully,

I am also on Serefem. I had to take it at night because of the dizziness/sleepiness. I have been on it for about 6 months now. It works wonders for my mood, but doesn't seem to help the night sweats or headaches or hot flashes. I also have noticed a decline in my libido. I talked to my husband about this and he said he would take the mood improvement over sex. Thank goodness.

Oh, my doctor prescribed this for PMDD. He said, at 42, I was too young to be going through menopause.

I've also switched to taking Sarafem at night because of the dizziness. I've noticed that it also helps me to sleep. The Journal of American Medicine (JAMA) is a well respected and know medical journal and they have many articles about perimenopause. There are many medical universities doing research on perimenopause...you might not be going through menopause based upon the definition of menopause, but you can definitely be experiencing perimenopause. My reproductive endocrinologist also thought I was too young to be going through these symptoms until she had difficulty locating my ovaries using the sonogram. She said that my ovaries are extremely small which is typical of menopausal women. Thanks for replying, it's always good being encouraged by the ladies at this site.

Last edited by Hopefully; 07-26-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbharley
Hopefully,

In my opinion, you have perimenopause just by age alone and no longer PMDD. You may have had this before, but you are a little older now and fall in the perimenopause phase.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are you ladies experiencing less dizziness and better sleep by taking the anti-depressant at night? My gyne told me I could take it in the morning and I did research on that and it does say that Prozac is used in the mornings, but I wonder if it would be better to take it at night? I just don't want it to keep me up.

Andrea

Old 07-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Andrea, taking the Sarafem at night seems to help with my sleep and totally eliminates that addition spacey feeling that I get by taking it during the daytime. Try taking it at night on the weekend...that way if it does keep you up (hopefully it won't) you can switch back before having to go to work on Monday. Let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread