It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
what causes breast tenderness and swelling?

One of the symptoms of perimenopause that I have been having for months daily is extreme swelling and tender breasts. For at least 4 months my breasts were enlarged and very painful to touch. Then it went away and I felt "normal" again for maybe a month or so. Last week I got my period after 5 months of not having one and I thought that maybe I would not experience the breast tenderness for at least a while. Well, yesterday I noticed the tenderness and swelling again. Since I have small breasts I always wore sport bras but now they seem to lack support and at night when I sleep I wake up if I am sleeping on them. My gyno has not provided much help telling me to take Agystin monthly which I can not find any info on and am hesitant about taking. I do natural progesterone cream daily ( 1/4 tsp from day 7 to day 15 and then 1/2 tsp. from day 15 to day 27- then I stop hoping my period will come) . So what is it? High Progesterone- estrogen- just a perimenopause symptom? It looks good on the surface - like I had a breast job- but I feel so uncomfortable .

Old 09-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #2

darlene B HB User
Re: what causes breast tenderness and swelling?

Hi Armadillo Pie,
I just wanted to let you know that I have suffered from sore tender breasts for 3 to 4 weeks at a time ever since I began peri(about 10 years ago-God, I'm sick of it!). I wish I could tell you if it was high estrogen or progesterone, (I am actually leaning toward progesterone since during PMS my breasts always hurt during the second half of the cycle when progesterone in highest). Once we begin perimeno though and our hormones are all out of whack, who knows which hormone is the culprit! Have you tried cutting back on your use of progesterone cream? I was planning to give it a try, but I have read several posts here where women are saying they felt worse after using the progesterone...YIKES when will it all go away. Why can't we all be like those fortunate women who sail through menopause saying, one day I had a period and the next day I didn't-what's all the fuss about?!!

Darlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Darlene,
I too thought I was going to go through this whole perimenopause/ time of my life thing with grace! Ha, ha, Ha- couldn't be farther from that then the moon! It seems to consume so much of my life- the weight gain- moods, tireness, apathy, and now the tender, painful, and swollen breasts. This mornng on my dog walk a friend took a casual look at my bosom and said my God your breasts have grown ! They are so big!!! My bra size has always been a 32 AA or sometimes 32B- now I have no idea what it is. I wear strecthy sports bras now cause they do not put pressure on my breasts.
Accupunture has helped but then it comes back. So I am going to have a blood panel done and find out were I stand. I have a Dr. of Orinetal Medicine who is going to interpet it for me. Also where I live there is a Dr. who is well known for his natural hormone treaments- he is mentioned in Suzzane Sommers new book- I know him but he is expensive. However at this time I can not go on living like this. The progrestrone cream has benn helpful but I am wondering if it the amount. I think if I continue taking it I will have it compounded for me, then I should have the right amount.
What have you done to help you get through this?

Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi girls, I think that the enlarged breasts is estrogen dominance........this is my therory........I'm taking estrogen and my breasts have grown twice their normal size, (which was big enough already))))) I'm having a really hard time with this issue... Besides growing like watermelons, they hurt too. They are sooooooooo sore...........

Both my older daughters are on the Nuvo Ring contraceptive with has estrogen in it too. They both have doubled in their breast size.......

Before I had a hysto, I used progesterone and (for me) I never had the growth in my breasts and they were never sore either........BUT, thats just me.......everybody is different.........

Closed Thread