It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

sunny3 HB User
Anyone ntice an aggravation of symptoms when start to use progesterone cream?

Hello dear ladies,

In the past, when ever I tried to use progesterone, it made my symtpoms worse..more anxiety, more burning of feet. My compounding pharmacist suggested that I start with a small amount and titrate it up slowly and I was able to get past alot of the aggravatoiom of sympotms by starting with a teeny dollop of OTC cream and then gradually increasing it over time.

Now, since anxiety is still a problem, I have been trying to increase the progesterone again and it seems that the early AM anxiety is worse sicne this week of increasing. Does anyone else have this experience. My thinking is that it has to do with the progesterone activating the estrogen receptors and temporarily making me feel more estrogen dominant until the dose falls into a right balance...make sense??? This whole hormonal balancing is so complex and alot of MDs do not understand it any better than we do.

I am eager to hear if others ahve had aggravations of symptoms first, prior to improvement. ( Maybe I am the only one in the entire world )

Be good to yourselves,
Sunny

Old 07-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Anyone ntice an aggravation of symptoms when start to use progesterone cream?

Sunny this is my second time trying to send this email... hopefully this time it will post before my computer start acting up.

I just wanted to let you know that you are the only other person, other than myself, that I've met via internet to have this reaction while using progesterone. The first time that I used OTC progesterone cream all my perimenopause symptoms intensified...I was so devasted because I was really looking forward to feeling 100% better (guess I bought into all those advertisements) instead I felt 100% worst.

When I contacted the nurse practitioner the next day she told me to start out with just a dab of progesterone and work my way up to the full dosage. I then contacted a compounding pharmacist who told me that many women can not use progesterone cream alone... we have to use a small amount of estrogen. I found this to be quite confusing seeing that I'm also suppose to be estrogen dominant...so why do I do need more estrogen...well it worked. I'm now using bioidentical estrogen and progesterone together an they have helped me to manage some of my peri symptoms.

I wouldn't say that this combo of estrogen and progesterone has eliminated all my symptoms, but they have improved some what which is such a blessing. I'm sure that I probably need to tweak or replace something, but right now this combination is allowing me to function.

I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I pray that we all are blessed with health real soon.

Last edited by Hopefully; 07-25-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
(female)

sunny3 HB User
Re: Anyone ntice an aggravation of symptoms when start to use progesterone cream?

Thanks for your reply, dearest Hope,

I think there are more out there, other than WE TWO. I read about this syndrome in Dr Lee's books ~ and also in others. Like you, I also use small doseages of bioidentical estrogen. In my research, I think the intensification of symptoms has something to do with the temporary reactivation of estrogen receptors...when we add the progesterone, which then makes all of the symtpoms worse until things settle in.
It is great to hear from you!!! Thanks and please write back anytime. I do wish this board had an oportunity for private e-mailing allowing the members to make indivual contact with those who are so similar to thesmelves in symptomatology and who could offer special insider support. Thanks so much for your hsaring...it sounds like we are similar..."a little dab will do us" (of progesterone) in the begining

My prayers go out to you also, dear Hopefully,
Sunny

Old 07-25-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Dear Sunny and Hopefully:

Did a doctor have to prescribe you bioidentical estrogen and progesterone? Was it a gynecologist? How did you go about finding the right dose for yourself? How did you find a pharamacist who can compound this for you? I have not had the need for this yet, but I know the way my symptoms are going I will soon. Any help or directions you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Hello Belle. For a compounding pharmacy I did a search on the internet and I also knew of one in my town. As far as finding the right dosage it's all a matter of trial an error. I know that isn't comforting to know an I truly wish there were definitive tests that would make this process less tedious. You might want to try contacting your local pharmacist to see if they know of doctors who are familiar with compounding...also the reproductive endocrinologist that I'm now seeing is affiliated with a well know and reputable medical university in my city. I also found her website on the internet... Check with your local hospitals and medical universities.

I wish you the best in locating a trustworthy doctor, it's wise of you to start trying to locate a good doctor beforehand.

Closed Thread