It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
hormones

Does anyone know how to regulate your hormones. You know when you go through perimenopause they are up and down. It seems there should be some way with out having to go through this torture. Today I had a spell and felt like i was going to pass out. I hate it and doctors look at you like you are crazy. Surely someone out there has an answer.

Jacq.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #2

dipity200 HB User
Re: hormones

Hi Jacqbu,

Boy, do I know how you feel. I used to get that faint feeling. It was also very sudden not much warning except I used to get a weird kind of nausea with it. NAUSEA at perimenopause.......???? What? I actually didn't care what the docs thought after awhile as THEY weren't living it. Anyway, that's just one or two of MANY symptoms I had for awhile. I take a low dose birth control pill now and it's changed everything. I'm noraml again. I prefer natural remedies, have NEVER been into drugs of any kind, etc. I tried herbs, vitamins. Then nat. prog. cream. Then I tried natural hormones which just added to my already crazy hormone flucs. and made EVERYTHING worse. Then a doc suggested (as I was bleeding heavily at this point) taking the pill. I hemmed and hawed for a bit. Took the pill and it seemed that within hours the bleeding stopped. Some symptoms were gone in days, some symptoms took 9-10 months to stop. I can't believe how it's changed things for me even my attitude.
Anyway, sorry to ramble here. You just sound so much like me when you say there must be an answer out there. It's miserable going through this "change" it should be called a long nightmare.

If you have Qs write back and good luck.
Dipity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Jacq I understand your determination to find something to stop the many symptoms we're experiencing with perimenopause. This is simply horrible an I'm on a daily mission to find relief. I'm taking bioidentical hormones and plan to give them a few more weeks before looking for something else if all my symptoms are not alleviated. This moodiness, lack of energy, and spacey feeling are ridiculous. Yes, I also feel as if I'm about the pass out...this is a daily feeling.

Dipity...your post made my day!!! May I ask you a few questions...?
1. What birth control pill are you taking? Did you have to try several before find the right one?
2. What's your age? I'm 43 and thought that bcp for women over 35 wasn't a good idea, but if you've found relief then I need to look into bcp.
3. How is your energy level since you're taking bcp?
4. What about weight gain? This is an issue for me since I'm quite over weight.

Any information that you're willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hopefully, you can take a low dose of bc if you do not smoke. I've researched this and my gyne told me too. Since I smoke, I can't take them. But there are also other mixed hormone drugs you can take even if you do smoke. My gyne gave them to me, but I'm coward when it comes to side effects, have enough with Prozac and perimenopause, LOL

Andrea

Old 07-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Thanks Ainfante. I plan to do some research on low dose bcp...in doing your research was there a particular brand or type that was more ideal? I do not smoke.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
Thanks Ainfante. I plan to do some research on low dose bcp...in doing your research was there a particular brand or type that was more ideal? I do not smoke.
Ask your gyne. There is a low birth control pill designed for women in perimenopause and who are in their 40's. I can't remember the name of it, but she should know. I think is begins with Ortho, something, LOL

Andrea

Old 07-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Thanks to everyone. I think we all should do as much research as possible and let each other know what we find out. It's crazy that we should have to suffer like this. You think with all of medical technology they could come up with a solution. I read these boards and it makes me mad that we all have to suffer.

Jacq.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #8

dipity200 HB User

Hi Hopefully,

I'm so glad my post was helpful.

The pill I'm taking is Microgestin 1.5/30 it's generic for Loestrin 1.5/30. I did have to try a couple of pills before I got to this one. This pill also has a lower version, 1/20, but it wasn't enough for me. This pill makes me feel "normal" like there's NO up and down thing going on at all. I just feel like myself again. It's hard to explain.

I'm 47 in Sept. and you can absolutely take the pill until you are even past meno. I have a client who takes the pill and she's 55. Her doc said not to change anything at this point so she still takes them. I've known her for 12 yrs and she has NEVER complained of symptoms of peri. The pill is also the MOST studied drug on the planet for more than 40 years. There's no increase in cancer in fact it reduces ovarian and uterine cancers by 50-80%.

My energy is GREAT. I used to have HORRIBLE dips (another one of my wonderful symptoms) in energy with a sort of spacey (to me often scary) heavy fatigue that seemed to drape over me. The pill sort of shuts down the ovaries so the up and down stuff is just not happening. So the energy level is more even for me. This is what happend for me, it doesn't mean that it will be the same for everyone but I think it's possible it could be helpful.

As far as weight goes it's not a contraindication for BC pills. You will probably not gain and could even lose. The latest studies show that the "newer" low dose pills don't cause weight gain. I have a client who was obese and lost some weight on the pill. This doesn't mean that you will too it's just that if you are pretty misserable with these symptoms it might be worth it.

There is a book out called "Could it Be Perimenopause?" This book goes into why BC pills work. This doc says they work for peri because the ovaries are all over the place. Way up, way down. This why ADDING estrogen/progesterone at this time doesn't work. The ovaries need to be sort of "turned off" as that's where the symptoms are coming from.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful and not too long.

Take care and ask again if you have more Qs
Cheers,
Dipity

Old 07-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Dipity, you should be commended, although you are feeling well you are reaching out to help other women dealing with the trials of perimenopause. Many times people tend to move on once they begin feeling well instead of reaching back and helping others. I thank God for you and many of the other women here who are feeling much better, yet they continue to visit this site to provide support an encouragement. To all you wonderful ladies consider this your bouquet of flowers. I'm a firm believer in giving people their flowers while the blood is still running warm through their veins .

I will definitely do some research on Loestrin and discuss this possible option with my RE tomorrow. As I sit here typing this message I feel like bursting into tears for no apparent reason...I thought the Vivelle and Prometrium had delivered me from this symptom. This is day 6 of my cycle and I can tell that my emotions are just all over the place. I woke up this morning energized and began moving around and doing things that I enjoyed, then around mid day I felt as if my energy and mood had been drained from my body. I crawled to the sofa to take a nap, and woke up still feeling tired and blah! This too shall pass...

So how long did it take before your started to feel "normal"?

Thanks again!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-28-2004 at 07:27 AM.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #10

dipity200 HB User

Hi Hopefully,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are so nice to acknowledge us like that. It makes it even more worth it.

I'm so sorry your afternoon went yucky. I hope the worst is through.

To answer your question, it took me a few days with some symptoms to feel normal again. Some symptoms took 9-10 months. I'll tell you what my symptoms were:

vertigo (dizziness, sometimes VERY severe. Had CT scan found nothing)

3 day long nasty migraine headaches usually around period time. With pain going up one side of neck into head. Sometimes had very sudden headaches in the back of the head like I was hit.

Spacey "not there" sort of feeling with an "off balance" feeling.

Anxiety that seemed to come from nowhere. Just adrenaline that would start pumping into my stomach. This also came with a weird nausea.

Heart palpatations. Sometimes over 130 or so per min. Usually just as I would start falling asleep. Heart fluttering or skipping.

Feeling of itchiness with no rash. Took the pill 9 months or so to help this.

Horrid mood swings. Thank God for my friends.....and that they STILL are!
Depression that was a sort of physical body/mind depression. VERY hard to explain. Loneliness. The pill helped this within a month or so.

Fatigue that was overpowering as I mentioned earlier. The first month on the pill helped this.

Heavy bleeding (early on) that was extreme with aweful cramps. The pill stopped this within 3-4 hours. I was amazed.

Insomnia. At one point the insomnia was so bad that I actually would only sleep and hour to two a night. Thank God this didn't last forever but a certain amount did. The pill stopped this the very first night I took it. I have not had insomnia since then at all.

I hope this helps. Been there - did that. Yikes!

Good luck to you!
Dipity

Old 07-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I almost forgot to ask about side effects. I took bcp in my 20's and had to stop because they caused me to feel depressed a few days out of the month. The doctor switched me to a lower dosage an I still had the same problem. This usually occured the week of my cycle. Surely bcp have evolved since the 1980's and hopefully this side effect has been eliminated.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipity200
Hi Hopefully,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are so nice to acknowledge us like that. It makes it even more worth it.

I'm so sorry your afternoon went yucky. I hope the worst is through.

To answer your question, it took me a few days with some symptoms to feel normal again. Some symptoms took 9-10 months. I'll tell you what my symptoms were:

vertigo (dizziness, sometimes VERY severe. Had CT scan found nothing)

3 day long nasty migraine headaches usually around period time. With pain going up one side of neck into head. Sometimes had very sudden headaches in the back of the head like I was hit.

Spacey "not there" sort of feeling with an "off balance" feeling.

Anxiety that seemed to come from nowhere. Just adrenaline that would start pumping into my stomach. This also came with a weird nausea.

Heart palpatations. Sometimes over 130 or so per min. Usually just as I would start falling asleep. Heart fluttering or skipping.

Feeling of itchiness with no rash. Took the pill 9 months or so to help this.

Horrid mood swings. Thank God for my friends.....and that they STILL are!
Depression that was a sort of physical body/mind depression. VERY hard to explain. Loneliness. The pill helped this within a month or so.

Fatigue that was overpowering as I mentioned earlier. The first month on the pill helped this.

Heavy bleeding (early on) that was extreme with aweful cramps. The pill stopped this within 3-4 hours. I was amazed.

Insomnia. At one point the insomnia was so bad that I actually would only sleep and hour to two a night. Thank God this didn't last forever but a certain amount did. The pill stopped this the very first night I took it. I have not had insomnia since then at all.

I hope this helps. Been there - did that. Yikes!

Good luck to you!
Dipity

Oh my goodness!!! You could be my twin .

The beginning of my peri symptoms began with swollen ankles, pmdd, vertigo, spacey feeling (I believe this is one of the worst symptoms running second to those nasty mood swings), anxiety, then the panic attacks. I had 2 MRI an C-Scan done...I won't bore you with the long list of tests and bloodwork that I had done only to be diagnosed with anxiety disorder.

After being on various antidepressants (never took antid. until this peri stuff started) with minimum success I finally tried the CombiPatch (after diagnosing myself with perimenopause ) and within the hour after using CombiPatch I was able to get off my sofa and had the desire to clean and cook. I didn't use CombiPatch for long because like so many I was determined to go the natural route in dealing with perimenopause. So now I'm taking Vivelle and Prometrium which are bioidentical hormones.

Thanks for sharing your symptoms.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Dipity how quickly did the bcp eliminate that spacey feeling? Are you experiencing depression while on bcp?

Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi I am sitting here reading your posts. And I am crying. I haven't ever been able to figure out if I have perimenopause or not. I have had a vertigo problem for 18 years which in turn causes so many other things. Like anxiety and insomnia. I only sleep 2 hours a night and maybe catch a short nap. I just can't get that sleepy feeling even though I am very tired. I feel like my mind won't turn off. When I ask my doctors about perimenopause they just say as long as I have a cycle I am ok. And they don't want to try me on anything as I have a existing problem. I am 48 and I have written on here. I am old fat and ugly. I don't have much sex drive and truthfully I don't feel much feeling there any longer. Kind of like I am numb. My cycle is regular and I don't have very heavy or prolong bleeding. I do get the feeling a couple days before my period that I want to pass out. One thing positive about having a period is the day before I can sleep 4 to 6 hours. But that is the only time I sleep. Also has anyone noticed they crave dairy products. I will drink a lot of milk during that time and it seems to help me feel better. Surely at 48 I am probably having perimenopause stuff. My grandmother didn't go through menopause until 55 and I guess I might to. I have 3 sisters we are 45 46 48 49 non of us have gone through menopause or getting help with hormones. My mom had a hystor at 40 so I don't know how old she would have been. Thanks for letting me speak my mine I know I will just have to deal with it until I drop dead or something which doesn't seem to bad right now. Just being silly LindaM

Old 07-27-2004, 07:20 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Why don't you buy the book "The Pause". It will help explain a lot to you. You could possibly be going through perimenopause. Doctors are in the mind set you have to be in your 50's to go through this. That is a bunch of crap. Please don't call yourself old, fat, and ugly. We are all beautiful in Gods eyes. And I am sure you are a beautiful person. God Bless!!

Jacq.

Closed Thread