It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Gum problem

Is anyone having problems with their gums or teeth during menopause?
For the last two weeks my gums feel red and sore. I wear a night guard and I'm not sure if this is the problem or if it is related to meno.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Gum problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
For the last two weeks my gums feel red and sore. I wear a night guard and I'm not sure if this is the problem or if it is related to meno.

Yes gum problems totaly related to meno. Also, the teeth grinding is from the PTS (S) or (D).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

My dentist is a woman and she told me last week that she sees many women in peri and menopause that develop gum problems/diseases. She said she is looking for info on it but does not know if any is available. I am having some gum problems too and they have worsen during this peri time.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks. I guess this will be another symptom to be added to the list. I didn't realize that a person could get all 38 symptoms during the transition but I am close to that number.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #5

Location: Outside of a small town in TX. I love it. Peace and quiet and down the road from my parents.
angnicmarie HB User

After the onset of my surgical menopause, my teeth, within months, literally started to crumble away. I went to the dentist, and she said it was not only from the menopause, but also from extensive radiation. But, anyways, my point is, my dentist gave me a prescription strength mouth rinse, that helps build up your teeth and gums. You can only get it from the dentist. You might want to check into that. I have noticed a HUGE improvement with my teeth and gums. Take care.
Nicole

Old 07-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #6

Marlyns HB User

Yes, I've had gum problems during peri. When I was about 43 and starting to have a few symptoms of peri, I got my front teeth "fixed" with veneers. I had nothing but gum problems after that. Now that I'm well into the peri (but not quite at menopause), my gums are finally starting to improve. A couple of years ago (I'm almost 48) my gums would feel tender and sore a lot of the time. The dentist that did my veneers is a really good dentist and I think trying to resolve my gum problems almost made him a little crazy.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by angnicmarie
After the onset of my surgical menopause, my teeth, within months, literally started to crumble away. I went to the dentist, and she said it was not only from the menopause, but also from extensive radiation. But, anyways, my point is, my dentist gave me a prescription strength mouth rinse, that helps build up your teeth and gums. You can only get it from the dentist. You might want to check into that. I have noticed a HUGE improvement with my teeth and gums. Take care.
Nicole
Hi Nichole,
What is the name of the mouth rinse that your dentist prescribed? My gum dr. prescribed me an oral rinse called Chlorhexidie Gluconate after I had some gum surgery. It may help the gums but the labe says it causes tooth discoloration.

I noticed I am always having to get to the dentist or the orthodontist these days too. It is always seems to be something. I seem to be getting small cavities too even though I floss and get my teeth cleaned every 4 months. All this gets so frustrating!]

Molly

molly

Old 07-28-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I am wondering about bone loss and our gum problems. I feel it is related and so does my dentist. She thinks that possibly women who have gum problems might also be prone to bone loss, that is why I am going to have a bone density test soon. It does make sense.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
I am wondering about bone loss and our gum problems. I feel it is related and so does my dentist. She thinks that possibly women who have gum problems might also be prone to bone loss, that is why I am going to have a bone density test soon. It does make sense.

Grrrrrrreat!! Another thing I have to worry about!! I been trying to take 1,500 mg of calcium daily and consistently but it is so darnhard...mainly b/c the pills are so BIG!

Old 08-01-2004, 12:22 AM   #10
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I have had gum and teeth problems during PMS for several years. Gums would get really sore and tender, all the teeth would hurt and be super sensitive to cold drinks. My periodontist told me to try Gel-Kam. It used to be a prescription but is now available over the counter. It's a gel that is brushed on the teeth after regular brushing. So far, it has worked wonders for me.

Closed Thread