It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

catluvr4 HB User
Nothing is working anymore

I have had perimenopausal symptoms for several years, but I was able to function with the help of vitamins and minerals. Then in January of this year (a month before my 49th birthday) things got out of control. Panik Attacks, insomnia, crushing fatique, feelings of rage, horrible fear of everything, horrible mood swings, muscle and joint pains, etc, etc. Just about all the symptoms ever written. Then in May, things calmed down a bit. Late June, all the ugliness started again and once again I'm house bound. And nothing seems to be helping. Right now, I'm taking a multivitamin, vitamin C, B-complex, calcium and magnesium when I remember, and iron because I'm anemic, and adrenal support. Tried flax seed oil, but it's making me even jumpier.
Does anyone know if the symptoms gets worse as we get closer to menopause? I just don't know how much more I can take of this since I don't seem to have any good days anymore.

Last edited by catluvr4; 07-27-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Re: Nothing is working anymore

Please hang in there. Shortly after the birth of my son, I had similar symptoms due to a severe hormonal imbalance, plus bleeding so severe that I was housebound. I athought the anxiety and terror would never pass...but it did.
I had a partial hysterectomy which cleared things up for nearly 16 years. Now I am back to square one. Please keep in mind that your hormonal cycles can have a tremendous effect on your emotions and there is NO shame in getting whatever help you need. Even if you are against using meds like tranquilizers, this might be a time to reconsider and talk honestly with a doc. I did that and when things are at their worst, I take a small bit of valium or xanax, but am very careful to limit my use b'cause I"m terrified of dependence. I also take a mild anitdepressant and that has also helped. Things aren't perfect but they are certainly much more manageable.
There are natural tranquilizers that help as well, including such simple steps as having warm milk or melatonin before bed. Keep in mind that you can not necessarily control all aspects of menopause but that it will pass. IN the meantime, you can take heart in what help is available and I know people here are ready to help as much as possible. If you are having a bad day, find friends who you can be honest with and explain that you aren't up to going out that day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I agree. I have taken all the vitamins too and you are doing the right thing, but maybe it would be best for your gyne to give you an anti-depressant, this was the only thing that really helped me along the way. It does take 4-6 weeks to settle in, but you can take a pinch of Xanax with it. I also went to therapy and it has helped a great deal. Menopause is a reflection between your past and your present and then you future. If you have had a rough life when you were younger or are currently going through a major change or stres, meno becomes a hard road to truck. If therapy is not in the budget presently, I would recommend that you discuss these emotions and physical symptoms with your gyne, have your blood drawn for hormones, including thyroid, sugar, etc. Then ask her for a mild, low mg. anti-depressant. I do not push drugs and I also do not want to become dependant, but this meno rollercoaster can really do a number on you while your body is trying to get use to the lack of estrogen, and this does include the brain and nervous system. Hope this helps, we are here for you.

Andrea

Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Hi Andrea, It's me again. I know how you feel. I haven't had a period in 15 months and my symptoms got bad at the end. Actually, after I didn't have any more periods. I think that it is a roller coaster ride because our hormones are going away in spurts, not all at once. I actually liked just skipping some periods because there were months that I felt normal. The past year has been hell. However, I am beginning to see the end in sight and actually have more energy than I ever had. It's just the age that prevents me from climbing mountains. The anxiety that occured during this turbulent time still needs to be dealt with.

I read that this turbulent time is a rebirth and needs to be looked at as labor pains and, on the other side, a new, more confident and real you will be born. However, you must do the work and settle in the underworld for a time. Take the time to know yourself and give yourself time away from the world in order to be born. Do the work and hopefully we will all emerge better than we were before.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Catluvr4,
I too went through all you described. At first perimenopuse never crossed my mind but as I read and learned more about it I realized that must be what it is. I also take antidepressants to help me cope. I was becoming house bound because the symptoms were so bad. I still never feel 100% but I cope (with the help of my faith also). Hang in there you are not alone.

Jacq.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Can you all allowed to say what low dose antidepressant you take. I haven't found a doctor willing to give xanax or meds for this much. I wish I could find a doctor that would look at the whole picture and take it serious. Linda M

Old 07-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn59483
Please hang in there. Shortly after the birth of my son, I had similar symptoms due to a severe hormonal imbalance, plus bleeding so severe that I was housebound. I athought the anxiety and terror would never pass...but it did.
I had a partial hysterectomy which cleared things up for nearly 16 years. Now I am back to square one. Please keep in mind that your hormonal cycles can have a tremendous effect on your emotions and there is NO shame in getting whatever help you need. Even if you are against using meds like tranquilizers, this might be a time to reconsider and talk honestly with a doc. I did that and when things are at their worst, I take a small bit of valium or xanax, but am very careful to limit my use b'cause I"m terrified of dependence. I also take a mild anitdepressant and that has also helped. Things aren't perfect but they are certainly much more manageable.
There are natural tranquilizers that help as well, including such simple steps as having warm milk or melatonin before bed. Keep in mind that you can not necessarily control all aspects of menopause but that it will pass. IN the meantime, you can take heart in what help is available and I know people here are ready to help as much as possible. If you are having a bad day, find friends who you can be honest with and explain that you aren't up to going out that day.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a wonderful female psychiatrist who has given me prescriptions to Celexa, Xanax, and Klonopin. Right now, I'm on just 10mg of the Celexa, but she wants me increase it to 20mg. This is just so unbelievable...the way hormones can really mess up a woman. Two months before this nightmare got out of control, I was walking up to 5 miles a day; now I feel like a walking zombie. Thanks again.

Last edited by catluvr4; 07-28-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
I agree. I have taken all the vitamins too and you are doing the right thing, but maybe it would be best for your gyne to give you an anti-depressant, this was the only thing that really helped me along the way. It does take 4-6 weeks to settle in, but you can take a pinch of Xanax with it. I also went to therapy and it has helped a great deal. Menopause is a reflection between your past and your present and then you future. If you have had a rough life when you were younger or are currently going through a major change or stres, meno becomes a hard road to truck. If therapy is not in the budget presently, I would recommend that you discuss these emotions and physical symptoms with your gyne, have your blood drawn for hormones, including thyroid, sugar, etc. Then ask her for a mild, low mg. anti-depressant. I do not push drugs and I also do not want to become dependant, but this meno rollercoaster can really do a number on you while your body is trying to get use to the lack of estrogen, and this does include the brain and nervous system. Hope this helps, we are here for you.

Andrea
Andrea, I have started to see a wonderful female counselor, but I guess it does take some time for the meds to kick in. She things I'm one who is very sensitive to my own hormones. The only thing in my life right now that's getting me stressed out are those distressing peri symptoms. I'll try to hang in there and come back here often. Thank you for your help.
I forgot to mention; I have had every test my doctor could put on the lab slip, and everything is perfect. When I looked at him and asked him how my blood tests could be normal when I feel like I'm dying a slow death every single day, he did not have an answer. Since I'm hypothyroid, my thyroid levels are being checked every three months in case we need to change the meds during this time. As of now, the thyroid meds are optimized.

Last edited by catluvr4; 07-28-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
Catluvr4,
I too went through all you described. At first perimenopuse never crossed my mind but as I read and learned more about it I realized that must be what it is. I also take antidepressants to help me cope. I was becoming house bound because the symptoms were so bad. I still never feel 100% but I cope (with the help of my faith also). Hang in there you are not alone.

Jacq.
Sorry to read that you were in such horrible shape also, but I'm glad you are doing better. I guess you are no longer house bound? I ordered myself some DVDs today to keep me busy on those house bound events. Got one on Pilates and the set of Walking Away the Pounds. At least I can try to get back into shape while I'm stuck here.
Thank you for your help.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

I take 75mg of Zoloft a day. 25 in the morning and 50 at night. I have Xanax but have not taken it in a long time. Sometimes it doesn't suit me. Ativan seems to do better for me if I need it. I took 1/2 Ativan the other night because I was having a heart stress test the next day and I was stressing. LOL. I'm like everyone else where doctors keep putting you through a bunch of tests.

Jacq.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linma2428
Can you all allowed to say what low dose antidepressant you take. I haven't found a doctor willing to give xanax or meds for this much. I wish I could find a doctor that would look at the whole picture and take it serious. Linda M

By all means, keep looking for a Doctor who is going to understand what you are going through, even if you have to go through 10 of them. You deserve it and it's only fair to you, not to them.

Andrea

Old 07-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

My, my, my are we just crazed with menopause. I've missed two months now, doctors want me to increase the prozac from 10 to at least 15, then 20, trying to get the courage to do that, but my mind just whips like crazy around my period. I feel like I can have a period any minute and almost went into a panic attack yesterday driving to pick up my daughter. I understand that this is all a hormonal inbalance, very similar to having a thyroid inbalance, amazing how hormones effect the brain. I just wish I could find something that would relieve all of us out of our misery right now, trust me I would give it to you all. But like Jacqueline says, faith is important, at least it will try to keep us sane. And taking care of ourselves, leaving others second while going through this might help too, we seem to forget about ourselves which seems to make our symptoms even worse. Well, that's it for now, hopefully I will get my period soon and I will be back on hormone track, lol--but I somehow, doubt that!

Andrea

Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Catluvr4...I love cats too!!! My 13 year old calico is like the best girlfriend I could have!!! Anyway, I digress lol Like Jacq, I take Ativan when I need it, just a half and it seems to help alot. Have only had to take it a couple times this month, but there are other times when its an everyday thing for a week or so. I never wanted to admit I needed help either, but when ya hit rock bottom theres no shame in taking something to help you get through. You are in the perfect place for support here; between all of us I don't think theres anything anyone can mention that someone hasn't experienced and overcome or at least dealt with.
I too was semi housebound last year, felt like if I had to go someplace I'd never make it back. I was alright with going to work (very small business, only one other employee) and to my mom's and son's house because I knew if something happened they would take care of me, and they all knew (sometimes in vivid detail lol) that I was going through a difficult time. But to the grocery or drugstore, or walmart....it was like torture and the panic started...whew! And like you I used to walk, but when the panic and stress was there I couldn't even hardly walk around the block!! The Ativan helped me and eventually I moved through it, but it was difficult. I still have days when this resurfaces but not as strong and like Andrea, I "walk" through it and don't let it control me. I hope you're feeling better today May we all have a calm day!
Conni

Old 07-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Catluvr2..

Believe me we have all been there and I know what you mean about it seeming to be okay for awhile and then WHAM...things change and the hormones seem to go haywire. I turned 50 in April. The worst for me so far has been this year in Feb and Mar and a bit of april. Horrible anxiety, messed my stomach up completey as I was getting a lot of intestinal discomfort and the anxiety over that made the stomach situation worse. My back and ankle which I have problems with acted up even more and generally I was a basketcase. Then in late April it calmed down and in May and June had really two good months of not having any symptoms at all. Recently have had more PMS symptoms than those two months but nothing like in Feb/Mar so I am grateful for that and I seem to be able to deal with it more now that I know what it is. But I always fear it won't last!!

As far as what I take...I take a multivitamin too, Bcomplex and Estroven which is an over the counter vitamin and herb supplement that my doctor and gyn recommended for this time. The B complex and the Estroven are the two things I added in April and so I don't know if that has helped calm things or not. I also started doing Pilates regularly and I think that has helped me. I was used to going to Jazzercize 4 days a week and the gym 2 times a week and then it seemed I had no energy at all to do anything, plus with my back and ankle giving me problems I was sidelined from Jazzercize late last year and have not been back to the 4 days a week routine since then. I am starting back now and my goal is a couple days a week. But I have to be careful due to my ankle (it is due to repeated sprains in that ankle but I swear the peri. stuff makes it worse, I know my back and hip are worse due to it) I think that keeping as active as we can with whatever we enjoy doing really does help. I know it has for me. This is not to say that some days I just do not feel like doing the Pilates DVD or going to the gym but I just chalk those up to an off day and then try the next day to do it. I find I feel better when I do.

I was prescribed Xanax which I had been prescribed for flying a few years ago as I am a very nervous flyer. So I used to take it only to fly (which we do like once or twice a year), but this year the gyn and the dr. both suggested taking it as needed for anxiety. I did take it at times when things were bad in Feb/March and early April. Last took one in May. But I would not hesitate to take it if I needed to.

If someone has not already mentioned it and if you have not seen it mentioned in another post, the book The Pause is an excellent resource to go to for help at this time. It explains each symptom and why it is happening and offers suggestions. I know there are other books out there and some of them have been recommended on this board, but this is the only one that I found to be user friendly and down to earth about things.

Hang in there and keep posting and know you are not alone

rmc

Old 07-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Andrea,

Haven't said hi to you in awhile and so thought I would today!! Sorry to hear that your period has not come yet.Actually that would be a good thing to be rid of it , if one was not feeling so yucky in the process. The two times that I had it at 40 days and then 50 (last year), I thought yipeee...it is going to just stop and go away. And as I said I would have been fine with that, but I just felt as you said, like I was going to have my period at any minute practically that whole time leading up to the 40th day or the 50th day. That was no fun at all. Have not had that happen again and this year it has ranged from coming on the 24th day to the 28th day and a couple months on day 31. so I really do not know what to expect this coming month. For the most part it has been better than Feb./Mar for me. But there are still nagging symptoms that I get beforehand or even after and I get crazy about it. Sometimes get twinges and I think, oh, no hope it doesn't flare up like it did. I seem to cope better with it at times and others not so much.

You know, I have been meaning to ask you...what has happened to KC?? It seemed when I came back from vacation in June she was here and then not. Hope she is doing okay. I have not been on daily but do try to do so a couple times a week and perhaps I missed a post of hers.

anyway, sorry you are having a hard time and hope you are feeling better soon. Your advice to not let this whole peri thing control us and to work through it has been a big help to me!! thanks!!

rmc

Closed Thread