It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

glamdais HB User
Question Prempro in perimenopause

I've been having what I think are perimenopausal symptoms and have posted before. I'm almost 42--have very bad anxiety, periods are irregular (had been having one every 3 weeks---this last time I went 5 weeks), insomnia, heat sensations in back, etc.... You all know the story. Anyway I had a OBGYN appt. yesterday and he said it was very possible that it is perimenopause, but that there's really no good way to test to be sure because of hormone flucuations. He gave me a month's sample of Prempro and suggested I try it out. He said if I can tell a difference it's hormonal--if I can't it may not be. Has anyone else had their OBGYN try them on Prempro for perimenopause? I'm more than willing to try this out since I've felt SO bad for many months now. Opinions?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Prempro in perimenopause

My gyne has given me Prempro and said yes, it is used in perimenopause. I haven't taken it yet, kind of scared, already taking Prozac 10mg. and a pinch of Xanax every now and then. Ihaven't had a period for 2 months now, so maybe I should. You try your first, LOL and I'll follow. I'm just weird about side effects, but my gyne said there would be none since it's such a low dose, also the side effect most common would be some break through bleeding in the beginning. Let me know.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

What is prempro? Is it a hormone?

Jacq.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

glamdais HB User

It's hormone replacement therapy. Progesterone and Estrogen. I'm suppose to start this next week Andrea, so I'll let you know!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdais
It's hormone replacement therapy. Progesterone and Estrogen. I'm suppose to start this next week Andrea, so I'll let you know!

Please do. I'm such a coward!

Andrea

Old 07-28-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

glamdais HB User

I totally understand. I'm a bit scared of it myself, but I feel so horrible at this point; I'm willing to give it a shot!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I totally understand. I'm a bit scared of it myself, but I feel so horrible at this point; I'm willing to give it a shot!

Hi, well how did it go? Did you take it yet?

Andrea

Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
(female)

glamdais HB User

No--I start next week. I have to have a colonoscopy on Tuesday and the OBGYN wants me to wait until I do that lovely "cleansing" you have to do with the colonoscopy and get past the anethesia and all that. Anyone else out there tried the Prempro? I know you're not suppose to stay on it for a long time and I don't plan to. But, if it helped and I was more sure that this is all perimenopause and that I'm not just nuts---that would be some comfort!

Old 07-29-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
No--I start next week. I have to have a colonoscopy on Tuesday and the OBGYN wants me to wait until I do that lovely "cleansing" you have to do with the colonoscopy and get past the anethesia and all that. Anyone else out there tried the Prempro? I know you're not suppose to stay on it for a long time and I don't plan to. But, if it helped and I was more sure that this is all perimenopause and that I'm not just nuts---that would be some comfort!

I'm understanding that you can use this up to five years.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I took Prempro and Premphase(not together excuse me). I just could not handle the progesterone in it. Don't know if I am allergic to it or what, but, it made me feel like I had PMS all the time. My cholesterol went up on it,too.

With the Premphase you take estrogen for so many days then you take the estrogen and progesterone for so many days. I can't exactly remember how many days. I tolerated it better than the Prempro. That has been a long time ago.

Right now I am on the Menostar patch. It just has a smaller amount of estrogen. I have been on it for a month and have no side effects or bleeding.

I am postmenopausel at 50 years old. Oh yeah, I tried the combipatch. It gave me the PMS side effects. I also tried the Climara Pro but it has progesterone and again couldn't take that.

I finally found something that agrees with me. Menostar is a new product. I think it just came out last month. Well I will stop my rambling on. Just thought you'd like to know. You might not have any trouble with them.

Betty

Old 08-03-2004, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I was wondering why you had to wait a week to take Prempro. My gyne said you didn't have to wait with it, you could start it at anytime.

Did you take it yet?

Andrea

Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 AM   #12
(female)

glamdais HB User

My GI doctor wanted me to wait until after the colonoscopy to get through the flushing out period that goes along with it. If you've ever had a colonoscopy you know you have to take all those laxitives that take EVERYTHING out of your system He also wanted me to get past the anathesia that would be required for the colonoscopy before starting on any new medication. I think he was trying to give me the best opportunity to see if the Prempro would work for me or if I had any problems with it we'd know it was the Prempro and not related to the other procedure. I started it today----I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 08-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My GI doctor wanted me to wait until after the colonoscopy to get through the flushing out period that goes along with it. If you've ever had a colonoscopy you know you have to take all those laxitives that take EVERYTHING out of your system He also wanted me to get past the anathesia that would be required for the colonoscopy before starting on any new medication. I think he was trying to give me the best opportunity to see if the Prempro would work for me or if I had any problems with it we'd know it was the Prempro and not related to the other procedure. I started it today----I'll let you know how it goes!
That's right you did tell me about the colonoscopy. Ok. Great! Let me know how it goes.

Andrea

Closed Thread