It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Smile Early menopause from tubal lagation

Just though I would throw in my 2 cents. When I was 40 I had a tubal lagation after having a baby. After that I had very heavyyyyy periods. They were so bad I had to see the doctor. She was an FNP. She said that there was a lot of women that have very heavy periods when they get their tubes tied.

It wasn't long after that I started having hotflashes. I was going through the menopause thing. Now I am fifty and postmenopausal.

I was just wondering if anyone heard of such a thing. Also I smoke so that did not help.

Betty

Old 07-29-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

sunny3 HB User
Re: Early menopause from tubal lagation

Hi Betty,

I read somewhere.... I think on another board that some women can have early menopause after a tubal. I think it has to do with the blood supply to the ovaries being interrupted during the procedure. I think if you did a search for 'post tubal ligation syndrome', you may find some info.

Good to hear from you and hope you find something to make you comfortable as you adjust.

Hugs,
Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi Sunny, Thank you for your reply. I looked it up and sure enough there are several sites about it. I read about the heavy bleeding.

When I had mine done no one told me anything about this. I think back then they probably didn't know to much about it. I do remember the FNP said something about it cuts off the blood supply to the ovaries. That''s all I remember.

Well if my daughter ever wants it done I will make sure she is informed of the symptoms to expect.

Thank you so much,
Betty

Old 07-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

sunny3 HB User

Best wishes to you, dear Betty. I am dealing with sooooo many of my own various symptoms which started at menopause. It sure can make it tough to preserve one's sanity, at times.

Some people notice benefits from using OTC progesterone cream to help with heavy menses. You may want to consider browsing thru one of John Lee's books on the subject of progesterone. For myself, I found that I had to work up very gradually to a normal dose of progesterone, I guess my body had been so very low for so long that it went bonkers when it first saw it coming back. So I started out with teeny tiny amounts..the amount of a chocholate chip and then eased it up gradually, as tolerated.
Thanks for writing back, dear one.

Hugs,
Sunny

Old 07-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I also had a tubal ligation after the birth of my last child...and shortly thereafter my periods became quite heavy. I began having menopausal symptoms at the age of 35, but thought it was all related to my ibs. I've also just began researching the relationship between early menopause and tubal ligations. Unfortunately, I can not totally put the blame on the tubal, since my sister who is a year younger and who did not have a tubal is also now going through perimenopause. Her symptoms are all similar to mine with the depression, anxiety, spacey feel and the list goes on an on...My mother also went through this at an early age (she had a tubal).

Old 08-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #6
(female)

fiveoffive HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
I also had a tubal ligation after the birth of my last child...and shortly thereafter my periods became quite heavy. I began having menopausal symptoms at the age of 35, but thought it was all related to my ibs. I've also just began researching the relationship between early menopause and tubal ligations. Unfortunately, I can not totally put the blame on the tubal, since my sister who is a year younger and who did not have a tubal is also now going through perimenopause. Her symptoms are all similar to mine with the depression, anxiety, spacey feel and the list goes on an on...My mother also went through this at an early age (she had a tubal).
ok, you say you started with the meno around 35? what were your symptoms< if you don't mind, and where are you with it now, Age, symptoms. Thanks, Marylou

Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notevenok
ok, you say you started with the meno around 35? what were your symptoms< if you don't mind, and where are you with it now, Age, symptoms. Thanks, Marylou

Hello Marylou . Now you know I'm dealing with brainfog so I'm reaching back into the "archives" of my memory ... I had my second child at 31 and shortly after my periods became very heavy...I was flooding. Okay...here is my list of what I remember:
1. Heavy periods, cramps, clots (sorry about being graphic)
2. Dry skin.
3. Swollen ankles, leg pains, lower back pains
4. Went from mild PMS to PMDD
5. Horrible chills the week before my period (I could not stay warm).
6. Moodiness before, during and the week after my period.
7. Anxiety...which graduated to panic attacks
8. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
9. Increased appetite which lead to increased weight
10. Occasional hot flashes, but nothing like the heatwaves that I have now.
11. Exhaustion (taking naps during the day
did not help)
12. Incontience (when I walked, cough, laughed, sleep)
13. Waking up 4-5 times a night for the restroom
14. Waking up and not being able to return to sleep for hours.
15. Low libido which graduated to NO libido.
16. Fibroids & polyp

How are you doing Marylou? When I saw a doctor about the above symptoms I was told that I only had PMDD and was too young to be experiencing menopausal symptoms (oh, the incompetent doctor's I've seen).

I'm now 43, will be 44 in November and my symptoms became worst and I picked up a few more as the years rolled on. I was finally officially diagnosed with perimenopause by my reproductive endocrinologist in June. Finally someone who actually listens an is keep up todate in their medical profession. Needless to say I'm quite please with my current doctor.

I don't know how close I am to menopause, no one seems to know. My FSH levels are rising and my estridol levels are decreasing. My ovaries are almost not visible while using a sonogram.

Hmmmmmmm.....let me know if you have anymore questions. I need to pick up my son so I have to stop now .

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-03-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
(female)

fiveoffive HB User

Thanks hopefully,
I can't keep up with all my posts here anymore!!! LOL
I'm a healthboard junkie!!
I guess I will got o my doc and give her a good talkin" to. She's great I know she will listen. I hOPE all I'm going through is peri!! (that's terrible isn't it???)
have a great day!!
ML

Old 08-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notevenok
Thanks hopefully,
I can't keep up with all my posts here anymore!!! LOL
I'm a healthboard junkie!!
I guess I will got o my doc and give her a good talkin" to. She's great I know she will listen. I hOPE all I'm going through is peri!! (that's terrible isn't it???)
have a great day!!
ML

ML let me know what your doctor says....I pray that all goes well.

Closed Thread