It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
just diagnosed with menopause

Hi,
I'm new on this topic.I have been having some problems but I thought that it was just depression.I went to the ob on Tuesday and the Dr. did bloodwork. Yup, it's menopause.Can someone give me some info about any part of this?

Thanks, Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: just diagnosed with menopause

ok, another question??????????? what is the difference between perimenopause and menopause? Sorry if that sounds dumb, but I'm a bit confused.Like I said I'm new here

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I will just tell you my experience. Also what I have read. Perimenopause is the time before the menopause. It can start as early as your 30s. You can have irregular periods, hot flashes,irritability,and depression. Then you go into the menopause. That is when your periods start to tapor off. The hotflashes are more intense and you have trouble sleeping. Believe me, it is better to go on hormone therapy.

Not everyone is the same though. You may flow through it like a breeze. I am postmenopausel at 50 years old. Don't have any periods. I am what you called a bit dried up ha!ha!

Right now I use the Menostar estrogen patch. It puts out a small amount of estrogen to help my bones stay strong and to keep me not so dried up.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Others will give you more information.

Make sure and drink your milk for your bones.

It is not that bad!!
Betty

Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi Betty,
Thank you for the info.Well, I guess I skipped the perimenopause feelings and am now menopause I have almost ALL of the symptoms that I read about. The worst is the mood swings and hot flashes. I was going to go to the dr to see if I was Bipolar LOL.I have been experiencing some bad times over here. I have been out of work since May with foot surgeries.I wonder if the results from the xrays that my DR. took the other day of my foot is part result of menopause? It shows that I have lost calcium in my foot. Well, anyways I'm suppose to start a hormone pill today.Is there different types of pills? Thanx, Sue

Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieblueyes
Hi Betty,
Thank you for the info.Well, I guess I skipped the perimenopause feelings and am now menopause I have almost ALL of the symptoms that I read about. The worst is the mood swings and hot flashes. I was going to go to the dr to see if I was Bipolar LOL.I have been experiencing some bad times over here. I have been out of work since May with foot surgeries.I wonder if the results from the xrays that my DR. took the other day of my foot is part result of menopause? It shows that I have lost calcium in my foot. Well, anyways I'm suppose to start a hormone pill today.Is there different types of pills? Thanx, Sue
Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that your sex drive dimishes,too. It did for me anyway. There are so many different pills. I really don't know all of them. Prempro and Premphase are the only pills I have taken. The others are transdermal patches.

It sounds like you are going through some problems now,too, with your foot surguries. I have been pretty sick because I have severe hypothyroidism. Had graves disease and took radioactive iodine. It is killing my thyroid just all of a sudden. I don't do very much at all. Good thing I am out of a job right now. Don't think my body could handle it. I will get well in a matter of time.
You take care of yourself. Just try to look on the good side of things.

Thank you,
Betty

Old 07-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that your sex drive dimishes,too. It did for me anyway. There are so many different pills. I really don't know all of them. Prempro and Premphase are the only pills I have taken. The others are transdermal patches.

It sounds like you are going through some problems now,too, with your foot surguries. I have been pretty sick because I have severe hypothyroidism. Had graves disease and took radioactive iodine. It is killing my thyroid just all of a sudden. I don't do very much at all. Good thing I am out of a job right now. Don't think my body could handle it. I will get well in a matter of time.
You take care of yourself. Just try to look on the good side of things.

Thank you,
Betty
I know what you mean about the sex drive.That was one of the reasons that I went to the OB,I also have some bleeding once in awhile after sex.Do you know if the pills will make you bleed like you have your period?I'm 44 years old and had a partial hystorectomy 2 years ago.So I have not had my period since, what a nice feeling!Boy oh boy the things us women go thru.Oh I forgot to say I also have Lupus and have had that for at least 15 years.I'm just falling apart.
Sue

Old 07-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieblueyes
I know what you mean about the sex drive.That was one of the reasons that I went to the OB,I also have some bleeding once in awhile after sex.Do you know if the pills will make you bleed like you have your period?I'm 44 years old and had a partial hystorectomy 2 years ago.So I have not had my period since, what a nice feeling!Boy oh boy the things us women go thru.Oh I forgot to say I also have Lupus and have had that for at least 15 years.I'm just falling apart.
Sue
I had to go get my shopping done. Yes the pills made me spot quite a bit and so did Combipatch. I cannot tolerate the synthetic progesterone. It just makes me feel like I have pms.

My goodness you have lupus too. I have read a little bit about that. Do you have it very bad? I mean does it interfere with your life very much?

I have been feeling very weak from this hypothyroidism thing and nervous. Someone on the thyroid board told me I could have enemia. So, I got that checked out. It was 17.2 whooopeee! It is definitely not enemia. I think if it is 11 or below then that is enemia.

You take care of yourself and the hormone thing too. Yeah the things we have to go through. Did you know that men go through menopause also. I don't know at what age. I'd say 40s or 50s. I think they just get grouchy.

Talk to you later,
Betty

Old 07-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Sue I just wanted to say that you are not alone in this new phase in your life...although I'm going through the perimenopause phase right now I truly understand about all you symptoms. Presently, I'm taking bcp (this is day 3) to help with these annoying fluctuating hormones. The good news is that there are so many hormone therapy options available to us during this time in our life, but it's a matter of finding what works with our individual chemistry.

Keep posting, I've found the ladies here to be so supportive. I've received more information from this board than I have from all the doctors that I've seen.

Last edited by Hopefully; 07-30-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

ok ladies,
I just picked up my meds and he has given me syntest H.S. anyone on this?
Any info?
Thank you, Sue

Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue, That is a new one on me. I have never heard of it. Is that a hormone therapy medicine?

You know I have always hated taking pills because I am sure they mess with your liver. One time I tried black cohosh, a natural herb that is very cheap. The darn stuff gave me headaches. I also tried NewPhase. It took about two weeks to start working. My hotflashes went away but they made me constipated. Lordy, it's always something.

Good luck on your new meds and keep us informed.

Betty
postmenopausel

Closed Thread