It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
My FSH Results

Hello ladies,
Just got my blood test results and my FSH at 78.4 now. The range given to me says "post-menopausal" is 23.0 - 116.3" which I don't know why its says "post" menopausal or what it means.

After checking out my books, I should've also been tested for my estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone and DHEA to better determine where I stand in this peri-meno timeline. Something I got to remember to do the next timeI see the doc. Based on "The Pause" book, FSH level above 40 is the official determination of menopause; while another book it says FSH level above 30. Either way, guess I'm heading into menopause, something I already knew....

My FSH last Oct. was 26.3 and LSH was 18.5 so my FSH did go up somewhat. All other tests and blood work came back good and normal! I'm healthy and am grateful for that!

Hope everyone is going to have a good weekend!

Molly

Old 08-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: My FSH Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hello ladies,
Just got my blood test results and my FSH at 78.4 now. The range given to me says "post-menopausal" is 23.0 - 116.3" which I don't know why its says "post" menopausal or what it means.

After checking out my books, I should've also been tested for my estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone and DHEA to better determine where I stand in this peri-meno timeline. Something I got to remember to do the next timeI see the doc. Based on "The Pause" book, FSH level above 40 is the official determination of menopause; while another book it says FSH level above 30. Either way, guess I'm heading into menopause, something I already knew....

My FSH last Oct. was 26.3 and LSH was 18.5 so my FSH did go up somewhat. All other tests and blood work came back good and normal! I'm healthy and am grateful for that!

Molly
Hi Molly,
Guess all the numbers can really get confusing. I am glad all your other test and blood work were fine. That is great news. I guess you will just have to have the other homones tested to see where you really stand with the meno thing. As far me still spotting - day 10 now, actually it seems as though it may be heavier. I am suppose to start a new cycle on Tuesday so I may have actually started my period. Who knows? I have bled 15 days out of 31 sounds like peri huh? I will see if this is actually a period before I make an appointment with the GYN. My annual exam is due next month so since my birthday is in September I think I will change my annual to August! Have a great week!
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Hi Molly,
Guess all the numbers can really get confusing. I am glad all your other test and blood work were fine. That is great news. I guess you will just have to have the other homones tested to see where you really stand with the meno thing. As far me still spotting - day 10 now, actually it seems as though it may be heavier. I am suppose to start a new cycle on Tuesday so I may have actually started my period. Who knows? I have bled 15 days out of 31 sounds like peri huh? I will see if this is actually a period before I make an appointment with the GYN. My annual exam is due next month so since my birthday is in September I think I will change my annual to August! Have a great week!
Penny
Hi Penny,
Thanks for responding! It won't hurt to see your gyn to be on the safe side, but I bet ya anything you're fine and will be told nothing is wrong. Now, don't be surprise if you start skipping a month or two of not having a period either. All this peri stuff is confusing and different for everyone; that is why nothing is engraved in stone. All in all, how are you feeling otherwise? Aside from the occasional anxiety, are you having other any other symptoms?

IMO, having a birthday in Sept. is a good enough reason not to go for your annual! Going to the gyn is one appointment I dread! Would wish you a happy birthday but it's a bit early so I'll wait as time gets closer....you must be a Virgo?

Hang in there...before you know it, things will be better and you won't remember all this!

Molly

Old 08-02-2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Hello ladies,

Molly
Wow, Molly FSH is really high compared to last year. Yes, your FSH signifies that you are in menopause. When did u take the blood test? Was it 3 days after your period?

Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Wow, Molly FSH is really high compared to last year. Yes, your FSH signifies that you are in menopause. When did u take the blood test? Was it 3 days after your period?[/QUOTE
]

Hi Andrea,

I had blood taken on July 27, the day of my physical. The very last day when "Aunt Flo" paid me her unexpectedly visit after being away for 6 months was July 1. Is there a reason if it's after 3 days?

Molly

Old 08-02-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=molly123]
Quote:
]

Hi Andrea,

I had blood taken on July 27, the day of my physical. The very last day when "Aunt Flo" paid me her unexpectedly visit after being away for 6 months was July 1. Is there a reason if it's after 3 days?

Molly
According to my gyne who is an infertility/endocronologist and gyne, the best day to see your FSH would be on the third day of your period. Although I had mine ran on day 6, she could still tell I was in peri. Is this your gyne who ran the tests? Also, you should run your estrogen, dhea, progesterone and tetestrone.

Andrea

Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
According to my gyne who is an infertility/endocronologist and gyne, the best day to see your FSH would be on the third day of your period. Although I had mine ran on day 6, she could still tell I was in peri. Is this your gyne who ran the tests? Also, you should run your estrogen, dhea, progesterone and tetestrone.

Andrea
Hi Andrea,
From what you say, now I don't know how accurate this FSH reading would be since I had it done about 30 days after my last period. Since I didn't have a period for 6 months and then it came in June (hoping it was just a fluke...LOL!) it would be hard for me to do any kind of monitoring.

My GP did the blood work..it was part of my physical so since he was taking blood from me, I asked to have my FSH tested. I know now that I should've asked to have bloodwork done on the estrogen, dhea, progesterone and testestrone. When I go see the gyn, I'll ask to have the other stuff tested. I am sure I'm in meno...I must be..I guess I don't care as long as I'm feeling fine!

Have a good one,
Molly

Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

With that FSH reading, I don't care if it was done 45 days after your period, it's high and it's meno.

Andrea

Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #9

PennyD HB User

Hi Molly,
After 11 days of spotting I started my period yesterday. It is heavy but I feel like this is just part of the peri. So I will wait on the doc visit. Hope you are doing well. Have a good day!
Penny

Old 08-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Molly,
After 11 days of spotting I started my period yesterday. It is heavy but I feel like this is just part of the peri. So I will wait on the doc visit. Hope you are doing well. Have a good day!
Penny
Hi'ya Penny,
I guess all this peri stuff is just so unpredictable! Each of us are so similar but yet so different too. Guess the "spotting" was just a way of it trying to find its way out LOL! It was warning you that it was coming! Hey, are you having floods?

I am fine...do notice I seem to have cravings for something sweet lately which is very unusual for me. Read that it could b/c of mag and calcium imbalance - probably b/c I take mag but not consistent with the calcium! Oh well... Also, last couple of weeks, started to get periodic hot flashes too...something I haven't had for months now. Either the soy protein I'm taking isn't working anymore or I'm going thru changes again. It's not bugging me too much - it's manageable!

Molly

Old 08-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #11

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Hi'ya Penny,
I guess all this peri stuff is just so unpredictable! Each of us are so similar but yet so different too. Guess the "spotting" was just a way of it trying to find its way out LOL! It was warning you that it was coming! Hey, are you having floods?

I am fine...do notice I seem to have cravings for something sweet lately which is very unusual for me. Read that it could b/c of mag and calcium imbalance - probably b/c I take mag but not consistent with the calcium! Oh well... Also, last couple of weeks, started to get periodic hot flashes too...something I haven't had for months now. Either the soy protein I'm taking isn't working anymore or I'm going thru changes again. It's not bugging me too much - it's manageable!

Molly
I was very heavy yesterday, and I do not normally have a heavy flow until day 3. Seems to have become a little lighter today on day 2. This is just all so different from what I experienced for 30 years! Sorry to hear about the hot flashes, maybe it won't be so bad this time. You have gota be amost there with this meno stuff. Hang tough just a little longer!!
Penny

Old 08-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
I was very heavy yesterday, and I do not normally have a heavy flow until day 3. Seems to have become a little lighter today on day 2. This is just all so different from what I experienced for 30 years! Sorry to hear about the hot flashes, maybe it won't be so bad this time. You have gota be amost there with this meno stuff. Hang tough just a little longer!!
Penny
Hi Penny,
How is your flow today and how have you been generally feeling? Anymore anxiety? My hot flashes seem to be subsiding again...maybe it's the darn weather... but I doubt it b/c I've gotten dripping wet in the face and back, which is unusual since I tend to not perspire much. Been busy today and distracted - forgot to take my Paxil CR and put in my eye drops at 10 AM - didn't remember until 7 PM. Duh!...having senior moments, I guess...

Hey, Polly, and everyone! - have a good weekend and keep posting!

Take care,
Molly

Old 08-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #13

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Hi Penny,
How is your flow today and how have you been generally feeling? Anymore anxiety? My hot flashes seem to be subsiding again...maybe it's the darn weather... but I doubt it b/c I've gotten dripping wet in the face and back, which is unusual since I tend to not perspire much. Been busy today and distracted - forgot to take my Paxil CR and put in my eye drops at 10 AM - didn't remember until 7 PM. Duh!...having senior moments, I guess...

Hey, Polly, and everyone! - have a good weekend and keep posting!

Take care,
Molly
HI Molly,
Finished up this period yesterday. A 5 day cycle again! It had gone to a 7 day for a few months I do not have any problems with anxiety at this point, the only problem was when I tried to get off of the .5mg Klonopin at midday. I talked with my GP last week, she said to just remain on itfor a few more weeks until this spotting problem was resolved. If it is resolved. My annual exam is next month,gonna change it to August since my birthday is in September, but insurance only does it 12 months apart Sooooo, after my birthday I will go to my endo/gyn and get all that done. Hope your hot flashes are better and you have a good week.

Hugs,
Penny

Closed Thread