It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
BCP for Perimenopause

Anyone using bcp for their perimenopause? I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: BCP for Perimenopause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
Anyone using bcp for their perimenopause? I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks.
I am not very educated on medicine, can you tell me what bcp is? It is new to me.

Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

captain14 HB User

I have been taking bcp for years and was just told by my gyn that they would mask the symptoms of perimenopause. So the crummy way I was feeling could not be caused by that. He's wrong. I have many symptoms already that are considered perimenopause. I do however have periods on schedule every month due to the way the pills work. There are no longer or shorter cycles. This last month I did have light spotting but it may have been because I changed the bcp I am taking. I hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain14
I have been taking bcp for years and was just told by my gyn that they would mask the symptoms of perimenopause. So the crummy way I was feeling could not be caused by that. He's wrong. I have many symptoms already that are considered perimenopause. I do however have periods on schedule every month due to the way the pills work. There are no longer or shorter cycles. This last month I did have light spotting but it may have been because I changed the bcp I am taking. I hope this helps.
Oh it just dawned on me, it must be birth control pills. I was a little foggy at the time. I took those many years ago and I would bleed like crazy.

Betty

Old 07-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:

Hello Captain, thanks for replying...so you're saying that after years of being on bcp you are still experiencing perimenopausal symptoms? May I ask which bcp you are using? What symptoms are you experiencing?

This is day 4 on Loestrin, an although I can tell a positive difference in how I was feeling I'm still sitting here feeling like crying, spacey/dizzy, an lack of energy to do anything. Mentally I'm thinking about all the stuff I'd like to be doing, but physically I'm drained.

Sorry about venting.

Last edited by Hopefully; 07-31-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Old 07-31-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

captain14 HB User

I was on ortho-novum 777 for about 12 years with no problems. Last June I started having left arm/neck/chest pain; night sweats, terrible anxiety, joint pain and the list goes on. I went for bloodwork and ekg and told healthy. My gp gave me a sample of paxil cr for the anxiety but it made me feel worse. I went to my gyn. Had a full blown anxiety attack in the office while he told me it is not perimenopause. He said maybe gad or maybe arthritis because of the muscle aches. I asked for a hormone test and he said ok. Well he called me with the results and said I was in normal range BUT if I would like he would change the bcp to Ovcon-35. So I changed and some of the symptoms are definetly better. I am not as tired, not as much insomnia or anxiety. I still have terrible muscle ache and joint pain. And the chest pain. But better. Sometimes I think if this is definetly perimenopause it make me a little more at ease with the symptoms. Sorry this was so long...I hoped it answered your question.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
I was on ortho-novum 777 for about 12 years with no problems. Last June I started having left arm/neck/chest pain; night sweats, terrible anxiety, joint pain and the list goes on. I went for bloodwork and ekg and told healthy. My gp gave me a sample of paxil cr for the anxiety but it made me feel worse. I went to my gyn. Had a full blown anxiety attack in the office while he told me it is not perimenopause. He said maybe gad or maybe arthritis because of the muscle aches. I asked for a hormone test and he said ok. Well he called me with the results and said I was in normal range BUT if I would like he would change the bcp to Ovcon-35. So I changed and some of the symptoms are definetly better. I am not as tired, not as much insomnia or anxiety. I still have terrible muscle ache and joint pain. And the chest pain. But better. Sometimes I think if this is definetly perimenopause it make me a little more at ease with the symptoms. Sorry this was so long...I hoped it answered your question.

Thanks Captain. I'm glad to hear that you feel better with the Ovcon-35. How long did it take you to feel better with the new bcp? I wonder what is the difference between those two type of bcp that made such a wonderful difference in your life.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
(female)

captain14 HB User

I started to feel better with the first pack of pills I took. This is month three and I feel much better. I can get out of bed in the morning and have a full day no problem. This month I find I still have the aches in my arms and chest and some hot flashes but not the yucky feeling I was feeling constantly. I started walking again and also made sure I started eating better. I found the worse I started to feel the worse I started eating. A few pounds later I felt even worse...so now that I have more energy I am trying to take the weight off. The difference in the pills was the balance of the hormones in them. It's a good question. I must have needed more of something to balance the hormones in my body. I should ask the doctor. I hope you are feeling better. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Thanks Captain!

Closed Thread