It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Question estrogen patch in the shower?

OK, ladies, I just started wearing an estrogen patch on my rump. The doctor says I'm supposed to wear it for 3-4 days straight (meaning 2 patches per week) without removing it for showers or anything. So naturally it started loosening after my first shower, and I lost it sometime by that evening (hope it's not clogging up the toilet). So rather than use one per day, which seems a waste, do any of you have experience with patch-survival while trying to remain clean during sweaty summers? I'd hate to give up my long hot showers. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB UserHopefully HB User
Re: estrogen patch in the shower?

I also had difficulty keeping my patch attached after bathing. I finally had to use tape to keep from changing my patch daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
I also had difficulty keeping my patch attached after bathing. I finally had to use tape to keep from changing my patch daily.

Duct tape? Ouch!!

Old 08-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL...nah, just plain old waterproof adhesive tape. It's ouch-free .

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-04-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks Hopefully,

That's pretty much the only logical solution I thought of, and I purchased waterproof tape from the bandaid counter yesterday for "just in case" that turned out to be the only option. I just wondered if anyone knew of some secret. I mean, did the designers of this thing consider that the users might actually want to bathe more than twice a week???

Old 08-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna
Thanks Hopefully,

That's pretty much the only logical solution I thought of, and I purchased waterproof tape from the bandaid counter yesterday for "just in case" that turned out to be the only option. I just wondered if anyone knew of some secret. I mean, did the designers of this thing consider that the users might actually want to bathe more than twice a week???

LOL...Bathe twice a week...I was happy if it remained on my body two minutes after it got wet . The adhesive tape really did alleviate me being concerned about my patch going down the drain. We won't even discuss that 'yucky gunk' that builds up around the patch...that's another thread .

Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
LOL...nah, just plain old waterproof adhesive tape. It's ouch-free .
As I'm imagining my shower this morning, WITH waterproof tape, I guess that means I'll need to leave the tape on until it's time to change the patch -- if the tape sticks to my skin, it'll also stick to the patch, so removing the tape removes the patch. Sigh. I was trying to imagine making a fold-over protecto-pad with the tape to lay over the patch so that I could remove the tape while leaving the patch, but it's plastered on my RUMP and I'm not that flexible and my eyes don't bend that far back not to mention the rest of me!

It seems as though trying to "simplify" my life by using natural estrogen and the progesterone cream require some adjustments that popping a pill doesn't require. The progesterone cream is greasy and requires 3-5 min to rub in twice a day, and now the estrogen patch. But hey, I'm greatful that we live in a day and age when all these options are available, and we have the opportunity to experiment.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
(female)

sunny3 HB User

Hi Rheanna,

I can tell you that some different patches (different brands) adhere better for me than others. I like the Vivelle ***, another brand just did not adhere for me. First I apply alcohol to the skin area, let it dry and then I apply the patch. I also find it helpful to use skin so soft when I am ready to remove the old patch...it helps to reduce the residual gum fibers that hang around. I like knowing that I am getting a bioidentical product and that it is being administered transdermally, by passing the liver.
Good luck!
Sunny

Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Left waterproof tape on for 24 hrs, as I was concerned about removing the patch with it. Noticed red itchy welts around the tape, so carefully removed tape -- yes it CAN be removed without removing the patch -- and decided to do just a quick sponge bath so I wouldn't have to put on more tape and irritate the skin further. My practical husband suggested putting the next patch on my thigh, where I can REACH it without being a contortionist. Since the hormone is absorbed through the skin to the fat cells "by passing the liver" as Sunny rightly says, my thighs can provide plenty of fat for that purpose! LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions from ladies who are actually using the patch -- male doctors may know about medicine, but we are left to work out the practical issues for ourselves.

Closed Thread