It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #1

bebettersoon HB User
How do you tell from FSH/TSH levels?

How do you tell from your FSH/TSH levels that you are in Menopause or not? I had a complete hysterectomy at 32 (I am now 47) and still have my ovaries.

Last edited by bebettersoon; 08-04-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: How do you tell from FSH/TSH levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebettersoon
How do you tell from your FSH/TSH levels that you are in Menopause or not? I had a complete hysterectomy at 32 (I am now 47) and still have my ovaries.

Well, you might have had some signs of menopause after the hysterectomy, but biological, you are approaching menopause. Your FSH would be high. Also, TSH is for the thryoid, tells the doctor what your pituatary gland is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #3

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Well, you might have had some signs of menopause after the hysterectomy, but biological, you are approaching menopause. Your FSH would be high. Also, TSH is for the thryoid, tells the doctor what your pituatary gland is doing.
Andrea,
I had my blood work for FSH level on 10-02-2003 it was done during the Luteal Phase and my lab value was 5.2. On 05-5-2004 I had another check done during the Luteal Phase and it was 4.6. So do you know what it means when the FSH is going down instead of up in relation to peri and menopause?
Thanks.
Penny

Old 08-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Andrea,
I had my blood work for FSH level on 10-02-2003 it was done during the Luteal Phase and my lab value was 5.2. On 05-5-2004 I had another check done during the Luteal Phase and it was 4.6. So do you know what it means when the FSH is going down instead of up in relation to peri and menopause?
Thanks.
Penny
Yes, if it is going down, then you are not in menopause, but perimenopause wouldnt' really give you an accurate FSH reading. It could change month to month. How old are you? If you are in your late thirties or fourties, you are definitely in peri cause you wouldn't ovulate regularly, if at all.

Andrea

Old 08-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #5

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Yes, if it is going down, then you are not in menopause, but perimenopause wouldnt' really give you an accurate FSH reading. It could change month to month. How old are you? If you are in your late thirties or fourties, you are definitely in peri cause you wouldn't ovulate regularly, if at all.

Andrea
I will be 44 next month. I was not ovulating until I started the natural progesterone cream. Then it took 5 months before I saw any evidence of ovulation.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
I will be 44 next month. I was not ovulating until I started the natural progesterone cream. Then it took 5 months before I saw any evidence of ovulation.
Well you will ovulate on and off through perimenopause. You do not officially stop ovulating until you are in full menopause. But you are not ovulating regularly. Yes, the progesterone creme helps, but you are not ovulating every single month and this is why your body is in the perimenopause swing, cause you are setting a new set point after ovulation with estrogen in the body.

Andrea

Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #7
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebettersoon
FSH=follical stimulating hormone
TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone

When your estrogen levels decrease, your FSH will increase.
When you estrogen increases, your FSH decreases.
Same with TSH,
A decrease thyroid levels will cause an increase in TSH;
Increasing thyroid levels will cause a decrease in TSH

Old 08-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
FSH=follical stimulating hormone
TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone

When your estrogen levels decrease, your FSH will increase.
When you estrogen increases, your FSH decreases.
Same with TSH,
A decrease thyroid levels will cause an increase in TSH;
Increasing thyroid levels will cause a decrease in TSH

Well here's one for you, speaking of TSH. How about if they are all low normal? TSH, T4 and T3, they are all within normal ranges, but TSH is low, T4 is low and T3 is even a bit low but all in the normal lab ranges.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

How do you know if you have evidence of ovulation? I am 48 and think I am ovulating every month. By that I mean about 15 days after period I get pain in my side and always have. I was told its ovulation pain. As a matter of fact ovulation has usually caused me more problems in some ways than having a period. I heard you can ovulate but not be releasing an egg. Is that correct that there is ovulation with or without releasing an egg? I use to think ovulation was releasing an egg now I am not sure. I am 48 and can't say I have had any months without side pain around the time that would be ovulation. is that possible that a person my age could be ovulating every month? thanks Linda M

Old 08-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Well here's one for you, speaking of TSH. How about if they are all low normal? TSH, T4 and T3, they are all within normal ranges, but TSH is low, T4 is low and T3 is even a bit low but all in the normal lab ranges.
That's a tough one, and I really don't know. Could be another one of those peri things or maybe something with the pituatary. Do they have a thyroid board around here? Maybe they would know.

Closed Thread