It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #1

purrk1tty HB User
Smile I want to stop HRT, advice please

I'm 55 yrs. old and have been taking HRT for 10 yrs or more. I would like to stop taking it. My Dr. switched me over to esetrest from vivelle. I have gained 8 lbs. in 3 mos. I want to stop taking it.
Is there anybody here that has done this and what should I expect.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: I want to stop HRT, advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrk1tty
I'm 55 yrs. old and have been taking HRT for 10 yrs or more. I would like to stop taking it. My Dr. switched me over to esetrest from vivelle. I have gained 8 lbs. in 3 mos. I want to stop taking it.
Is there anybody here that has done this and what should I expect.
Thanks
I recommend SLOWLY weaning yourself off of the pills, or you'll be in instant menopause (hot flashes, etc) when you deprive your body of the hormone suddenly. My schedule went like this (4 - 8 weeks each step depending on how my body was responding):

5 pills/wk (say, not on Wednesday and Saturday)

4 pills/wk (say not Mon, Wed, Sat)

1/2 pill every day (the last step was 8 half-pills per week, so this makes 7 half-pills per week -- if you remember your fractions from school )

5 half-pills/week (say, not on Wednesday and Saturday)

4 half-pills/week (say not Mon, Wed, Sat)

1/4 pill every day

After 4 weeks at this last stage it was apparent that, even though the hot flashes were under control and the dry skin could be countered with lots of skin cream, my brain was totally on vacation and I felt like I had Alzheimers and I just couldn't DO anything -- I just kept staring at stuff and not being able to make decisions. This too would probably have passed, but I gave in and asked the doc for a recommendation, and he prescribed an estrogen patch (see my post regarding "estrogen patch in the shower?").

If you're wondering how to cut the pills, I suggest putting on your reading glasses, setting the pills on a hard surface, and using a small paring knife with a rocking motion to "crack" the pill in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #3

purrk1tty HB User

Thanks Reanna, Did you have any spotting while doing this?
Also I used the patch and it would never stay on very well.
I'll look at your thread "Patch in the shower".
Thanks again, Jennie

Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrk1tty
Thanks Reanna, Did you have any spotting while doing this?
Also I used the patch and it would never stay on very well.
I'll look at your thread "Patch in the shower".
Thanks again, Jennie
Jennie,

I was beginning to get a bit of spotting (more like a darker discharge) when I got down to 1/4 pill. I had more of a problem with the progesterone cream. I started using 1/4 tsp twice a day, and I'd start spotting within a few days and then would start my period -- then I would stop the cream and start counting a couple of weeks till I started the cream again. So I learned to up the dosage to 1/2 tsp (eyeball estimate of a heap in a little spoon that measures 1 ml level). This kept me from spotting, although my periods were geting much lighter by the end. If I had continued with lessening the estrogen, I would have experimented with a lower dosage of cream. Now that I''ve just started with the patch, I expect that I will use the 1/2 tsp dosage twice a day in a week and a half or so.

Life is certainly an experiment

Judy

Old 08-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #5

purrk1tty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna
Jennie,

I was beginning to get a bit of spotting (more like a darker discharge) when I got down to 1/4 pill. I had more of a problem with the progesterone cream. I started using 1/4 tsp twice a day, and I'd start spotting within a few days and then would start my period -- then I would stop the cream and start counting a couple of weeks till I started the cream again. So I learned to up the dosage to 1/2 tsp (eyeball estimate of a heap in a little spoon that measures 1 ml level). This kept me from spotting, although my periods were geting much lighter by the end. If I had continued with lessening the estrogen, I would have experimented with a lower dosage of cream. Now that I''ve just started with the patch, I expect that I will use the 1/2 tsp dosage twice a day in a week and a half or so.

Life is certainly an experiment

Judy

Judy, I'm going to try it your way except I'm going to stop it intirely.
I will continue the progestrone pill I'm taking. and slowly wean myself of that.
I hate taking pills (although I do take Vitamans)
You're an thanks, Jennie

Closed Thread