It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
On the 69th day, I got my period!

Hello everyone who has been so supported in my acute perimenopause phase. I finally got my period which began like spotting with a few hot flashes and sweating, then during the night it got worse, with more bleeding, but seems to be normal, I've had few cramps, nothing serious but heavier bleeding. The most uncomfortable feeling with it was the upset stomach, feeling like I wanted to throw up and the off-balance/dizziness. I'm not understanding this except that it is an inbalance in hormones. So now I can stop taking the progesterone creme, was getting a bit concerned about that and will have to deal with the dizzy's. I will see my gyne next Friday for annual pap, so I will ask her then....why???????????

Andrea

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: On the 69th day, I got my period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Hello everyone who has been so supported in my acute perimenopause phase. I finally got my period which began like spotting with a few hot flashes and sweating, then during the night it got worse, with more bleeding, but seems to be normal, I've had few cramps, nothing serious but heavier bleeding. The most uncomfortable feeling with it was the upset stomach, feeling like I wanted to throw up and the off-balance/dizziness. I'm not understanding this except that it is an inbalance in hormones. So now I can stop taking the progesterone creme, was getting a bit concerned about that and will have to deal with the dizzy's. I will see my gyne next Friday for annual pap, so I will ask her then....why???????????

Andrea
Sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I hope your GYN can supply some answers for you. Were you wondering about the progesterone cream because you were having to stay on it for so many days? I am in a quandry about my cream, I started spotting on the 16th day of my last cycle and spotted until I started a new cycle on Tuesday of this week. I am wondering if I should use the cream this cycle, if maybe it is causing the spotting I wrote to you on the FSH tread also asking a question. Hope you are feeling better.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

Carmz HB User

Do you stay on the creme until you get your period? I was under the assumption that you were on it for like 3 weeks and then off for 1.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I hope your GYN can supply some answers for you. Were you wondering about the progesterone cream because you were having to stay on it for so many days? I am in a quandry about my cream, I started spotting on the 16th day of my last cycle and spotted until I started a new cycle on Tuesday of this week. I am wondering if I should use the cream this cycle, if maybe it is causing the spotting I wrote to you on the FSH tread also asking a question. Hope you are feeling better.
Penny

Sorry Penny, for some reason I missed your question elsewhere. As I am told about progesterone, it can stop bleeding, spotting etc. The only way you would spot from progesterone if you suddently stopped it before your period or you were not using regularly (everyday) until your period. Yes, having a rough time of it at times. Just don't know what else to do with it, LOL

Andrea

Old 08-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmz
Do you stay on the creme until you get your period? I was under the assumption that you were on it for like 3 weeks and then off for 1.

Well, you're suppose to be on it 3 off 1 but if I were to get off of it, it might even throw my cycle off even more so and then I would have spotted, hot flashes etc. Been using it too long.

Andrea

Old 08-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hey Andrea. I see you finaly got your period. I thought I had posted to kidney stone post but it didn't go thru I guess last week. Good to see you and I hope your period isn't to bad. The time I didn't have mine for two weeks my bleeding was heavier.
I hope that you are feeling ok. I don't think I ever get dizzy but everyone is different.
Hugs and prayers, Polly

Old 08-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #7

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Sorry Penny, for some reason I missed your question elsewhere. As I am told about progesterone, it can stop bleeding, spotting etc. The only way you would spot from progesterone if you suddently stopped it before your period or you were not using regularly (everyday) until your period. Yes, having a rough time of it at times. Just don't know what else to do with it, LOL

Andrea
I have the same kind of doc as you. Endo/GYN/Infertility, she put me on the cream in Jan this year. I some really bad side effects in April that I now know was just my estrogen reacting to the progesterone. I was using the cream day 8 until new cycle. I have called her office and asked about my spotting. But last time I called in April I called for 4 straight days and no returned the call I sure hope you are felling better. Sounds like you had a horrible night last night. Thinking of you!
Penny

Old 08-06-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I have the same kind of doc as you. Endo/GYN/Infertility, she put me on the cream in Jan this year. I some really bad side effects in April that I now know was just my estrogen reacting to the progesterone. I was using the cream day 8 until new cycle. I have called her office and asked about my spotting. But last time I called in April I called for 4 straight days and no returned the call I sure hope you are felling better. Sounds like you had a horrible night last night. Thinking of you!
Penny

Hi Penny. Yeah, period was more heavier than usual but I'm okay. Still feeling off-balanced but I will survive. Hope you are doing better. I know about taking Klonopin, have a girlfriend who uses it, I use Xanax. Might need one today. I remember when I use to get my period and it was such a relief. But now, forget it! Sometimes it's worse afterwards than before.

Andrea

Old 08-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #9

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Hi Penny. Yeah, period was more heavier than usual but I'm okay. Still feeling off-balanced but I will survive. Hope you are doing better. I know about taking Klonopin, have a girlfriend who uses it, I use Xanax. Might need one today. I remember when I use to get my period and it was such a relief. But now, forget it! Sometimes it's worse afterwards than before.

Andrea
Hi Andrea,
Hope you are feeling bettter by now. I know what you mean I always was glad when I started my period that meant all the PMS symptoms would go away! But not now, every month there is some new symptom to deal with on top of the peri symptoms. Talked to the nurse at my endo/gyn's office. She said my dr was not concerned about the spotting at this point and I should just continue to use my natural progesterone cream as usual and see what happend this month. I am due for my annual exam next month so she said it was fine to wait and come in then, unless the spotting starts back and is very heavy. This past cycle the spotting was light, but it lasted 11 days! I really hope your anxiety lets up and you have a better week. I have found that taking the Paxil Cr 25mg has really helped with my anxiety. Are you on any SSRIs? Forgive me if you have already posted the answer to that question. You know I have this hormone imbalance and it causes me to have brain fog sometimes!LOL
Here's to better days for all of us!
Penny

Old 08-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Penny! Yes, I'm on 10mg of Prozac. Had my period for two days, wow! Then it just stopped, now I have bits and pieces of naseau and dizzy's. The progesterone creme, I love it and my body misses it right now, but I'm staying away from it for a bit since I used it two months straight, but not much cause I was waiting for my period. With me, Ihave to stay on it until I get my period. Anyways, progesterone can cause some spotting and so can estrogen, hard to say. Just keep up with the progesterone creme, your body will get use to it. Whether it is natural or not, women tend to Konk out on it before it really gets the chance to do us some good. The side effects tend to make women run south, LOL

Let me know how you're doing.

Anxious me, Andrea

Old 08-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #11

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Hi Penny! Yes, I'm on 10mg of Prozac. Had my period for two days, wow! Then it just stopped, now I have bits and pieces of naseau and dizzy's. The progesterone creme, I love it and my body misses it right now, but I'm staying away from it for a bit since I used it two months straight, but not much cause I was waiting for my period. With me, Ihave to stay on it until I get my period. Anyways, progesterone can cause some spotting and so can estrogen, hard to say. Just keep up with the progesterone creme, your body will get use to it. Whether it is natural or not, women tend to Konk out on it before it really gets the chance to do us some good. The side effects tend to make women run south, LOL

Let me know how you're doing.

Anxious me, Andrea
Hi Andrea,
Today has been a BUMMER!!!!!!!!!! I felt really tired and "washed out" (a saying used in the South ) yesterday and couldn't figure it out, when I awoke worse today than yesterday I knew. I could only use the progesterone cream for 3 days last cycle, becuase the spotting started and the pharmacist wanted me to stop the cream and see if it was causing the spotting. So my progesterone level has bottomed out again. I have been much much worse than this before but I can tell that is it. I started the cream back today. Hopefully in 3 or 4 more days I will feel better. I know what you mean about the side effects of the cream when you first start. I had a left boob so big I thought it was going to explode! I understand now that the estrogen wasn't use to sharing my body with progesterone and did not want visitors! It was tough, but I hung in there with it and now I don't have all of those side effects, the only real problem is the gas and it is terrible. It makes me think something is wrong with my heart. Enough about me, I sure hope you feel better soon. Do you think maybe you need a higher dose of Prozac or Xanax on a daily basis? At least until you get through the peri you could stay on the Prozac. I asked my GP could I stay on the Paxil CR long term until I got through peri, and she said if I needed it I could. She said some people are on SSRIs indefinetly. I really do hope you start to feel better this week. Keep me posted on how you are.
Thinking of you,
Penny

Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Andrea,
Today has been a BUMMER!!!!!!!!!! I felt really tired and "washed out" (a saying used in the South ) yesterday and couldn't figure it out, when I awoke worse today than yesterday I knew. I could only use the progesterone cream for 3 days last cycle, becuase the spotting started and the pharmacist wanted me to stop the cream and see if it was causing the spotting. So my progesterone level has bottomed out again. I have been much much worse than this before but I can tell that is it. I started the cream back today. Hopefully in 3 or 4 more days I will feel better. I know what you mean about the side effects of the cream when you first start. I had a left boob so big I thought it was going to explode! I understand now that the estrogen wasn't use to sharing my body with progesterone and did not want visitors! It was tough, but I hung in there with it and now I don't have all of those side effects, the only real problem is the gas and it is terrible. It makes me think something is wrong with my heart. Enough about me, I sure hope you feel better soon. Do you think maybe you need a higher dose of Prozac or Xanax on a daily basis? At least until you get through the peri you could stay on the Prozac. I asked my GP could I stay on the Paxil CR long term until I got through peri, and she said if I needed it I could. She said some people are on SSRIs indefinetly. I really do hope you start to feel better this week. Keep me posted on how you are.
Thinking of you,
Penny
Hi Penny,
Sorry to hear you had a bummer of a day yesterday! Hope today (and days/months after) will be better. Have you been keeping a log? Maybe you can see a pattern of how you feel each month. I know of several women who are on SSRIs indefinitely--when I asked if they are concerned of long-term effects, most of them say they don't care; that they need it to get them thru. I agree that especially at this time of our lives, do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better so you can live your life! Hang it there! Things will get better, it just takes time.

Hugs,
Molly

Old 08-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #13

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi Penny,
Sorry to hear you had a bummer of a day yesterday! Hope today (and days/months after) will be better. Have you been keeping a log? Maybe you can see a pattern of how you feel each month. I know of several women who are on SSRIs indefinitely--when I asked if they are concerned of long-term effects, most of them say they don't care; that they need it to get them thru. I agree that especially at this time of our lives, do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better so you can live your life! Hang it there! Things will get better, it just takes time.

Hugs,
Molly
Hi Molly,
My endo/gyn had me keeping a log, and I kept one daily for 3 months. Having the type of personality I do I am so detailed( I am an accountant you know ) that I was obcessing over the log and my GP thought it would be a good thing for me to discontinue it for awhile. She was right it has. I still check my temp when I think it is close to ovulation. I am quite sure it is my progesterone level. Not being able to use the cream but 3 days last cycle can cause a drastic drop in my level since it was initally so low. Hope you are doing ok. Thanks for posting-- it was nice to hear from you!
Hugs,
Penny

Old 08-10-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Andrea,
Thinking of you,
Penny
I took so much progesterone the last two months, not taking a break because I knew it would make things worse if I did,now I've had my period and this is day 7 and I feel I need to use it again, at least before bed. Yes, my doc wants me to take 20 mg instead of 10 mg of the Prozac. I also have Xanax and take it when I get really bad but so far haven't taken any. I just don't want to do anymore Prozac, not sure if it makes me a bit more ancy.
I'm glad to hear you are doing much better than originally. Yes, many women stay on ssri drugs way into menopause. Nothing to worry about. The only thing is after long term, sometimes then need to be increased in mg or switched cause the effect of the drug doesn't work anymore. AT least you are noticing that the progesterone creme is working. It is a very important hormone until menopause.

Andrea

Old 08-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
(female)

eternal21 HB User

What do you mean dizzy and wanting to throw up!!!! I am on this site for clenching ,which has affected my ears and perhaps the IBuprofen is making me a little off,..but is dizzy and nauseaus a typical sympton of peri -menopause???

Closed Thread