It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Could Someone Send Me A Symptom List Of Perimenopause!!

Hi, This is Tina. I put the post on about being 37 and perimenopausal.
I need to know if someone can send me a list of symptoms. Right now I am having nightsweats, but only the week before and the week of my period,
heart palps, anxiety, weight gain, etc. A list would be so great!!!! THANKS!
TINA

Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Could Someone Send Me A Symptom List Of Perimenopause!!

The Famous 35 Symptoms:

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats, and/or cold flashes, clamming feeling.
2. Bouts of rapid heart beat.
3. Irritability
4. Mood swings, sudden tears.
5. Insomnia, trouble sleeping through the ight (with or without night sweats).
6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter peirods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles.
7. Loss of libido (for some women thie loss is so great that they actually find sex repulsive in much the same way as they felt before puberty. What hormones give, loss of hormones can take away).
8. Dry vagina, a general drying out that can include eyes, mouth, joints and skin (results in painful intercourse).
9. Crashing fatigue.
10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease.
11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (includes thoughts of death, picturing one's own death).
12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion.
13. Disturbing memory lapes.
14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (reflects a general loss of smooth muscle tone).
15. Itchy, crawling skin (feeling of ants crawling under the skin, not just dry itchy skin).
16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (may include such problems as carpal tunnel syndrome).
17. Increased tension in muscles.
18. Breast tenderness.
19. Headache change: increase or decrease.
20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea.
21. Sudden bouts of bloat.
22. Depression (different from other depression, the inability to cope is overwhelming. There is a feeling of loss of self. Hormone theraphy ameliorates the depression dramatically).
23. Exacerbation of existing conditions.
24. Increase in allergies.
25. Weight gain (often around the waist and thighs, resultling in the "disappearing waistline").
26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair.
27. Dizziness, lightheadedness, episodes of loss of balance.
28. Changes in body odor.
29. Electric shock sension under the skin and in the head (the feeling of a rubber band snapping in the layer of tissue between skin and muscle. It is a precursor to a hot flash).
30. Tingling in the extremities (can also be a symptom of B-12 deficiency, diabetes, alterations in the flexiblility of blood vessels, or a depletion of potassium or calcium).
31. Gum problems, increased bleeding.
32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, dry mouth, change in breath odor.
33. Osterporosis (after several years).
34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack, or break easier.
35. Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, "whoosing" buzzing, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

WOW...that is some list, and unfortunately I have quite a few of those symptoms! I do however, also have shortness of breath, air hunger and chest pain. Are these also considered symptoms?
I would love to hear from anyone who also suffers from these additional symptoms!

Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

When you have air hunger, chest pains, etc. you most likely are hypervenilating althought you do not realize it. It is called "hidden hyperventilation" and can be caused by several things. This will cause the vital organs to be deprived of oxygen, the reason for being air hungry, chest pains, etc. Hyperventilation causes the body to panic, then vital organs are deprived of oxygen. When this happens, take deep breaths and slow exhales. This will help balance the carbon dioxide (CO2) and oxygen. Red carpusles have oxygen but it cannot be released without a balance of CO2.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:54 AM   #5

mtngrl57 HB User

I have had problems with my ears feeling as though there is water in them. I don't hear as well. As if they are plugged.
I have extreme pain in my feet. Especially when I get up in the morning or have sat for a long time. When I walk without shoes on. It may have something to do thip wearing flip flops too much. ???
I have been light headed.
I am the most tired after I have taken Lexapro. I can't seem to remember to take it at bedtime!
I have other symptoms but I don't hear much about feel being painful and ears being plugged so that is why I wrote about those symptoms.
We can all fall apart together I guess!
MT

Old 10-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

So depressing! The only consolation is knowing that at the end, there will be no more monthly periods to deal with. It's worth it just to be rid of AF. I say that now, wonder if I'll think the same a year from now?

Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

MT, I'm glad that you mentioned the plugged feeling in your ears, because I also had the same symptom. In my case I did have fluid in my right ear, but I believe there was more to just the fluid. My hearing seemed impaired and I felt a fullness in both ears although the fluid was only in one ear.

One of the first symptom I experienced was leg pains and ankle swelling. My left hip seem to go out of joint first thing in the morning. Once I walked around for a few minutes the pain would subside, but the aching feeling in both legs remained. I remember going to the doctor thinking that I had kidney problems because the pain was in my lower back and legs. Who would have thought these symptoms were the beginning of perimenopause...and the beginning of more symptoms to come.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats4
WOW...that is some list, and unfortunately I have quite a few of those symptoms! I do however, also have shortness of breath, air hunger and chest pain. Are these also considered symptoms?
I would love to hear from anyone who also suffers from these additional symptoms!
Now those symptoms are symptoms of anxiety and can accompany perimenopause. They are not pursay a perimenopause symptom, but anxiety and depression are, so the air hunger, shortness of breath and chest pains are a part of anxiety that link to perimenopause. For your comfort, I would see a cardio just to be checked out and know u r okay.

Andrea

Old 10-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #9

calgal HB User

To Rugrats,
Hello.
I've had all three symptoms....air hunger, shortness of breath and how about this... over a year of chest pain that made me quite paranoid. Most people get heart palpitations, etc....but no not me I have to get something weirder,..chest pains! Doctors detected nothing but I did find some information on the web that confirmed that others, even women long ago, had this particular symptom.
Really all these sensations can make you feel so terrified that it makes you sometimes feel like you have a guillotine (sp?) over your head ready to fall at any time! LOL
I noticed you post was from a couple months ago but I'd love to share chest pain stories.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I totally agree that those are all symptoms of anxiety and do go along with all of this FUN! I too think I am in peri and have had many of the same symptoms, including the shortness of breath. However those symtoms are also very common with hyperactive thyroid too so you might want to have that checked out.

Nancy

Old 10-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #11
(female)

anniefannie HB User

Hi Ladies:

Just want to add my story because it may save someone else a lot of anxiety. It's been a long road from my first symptoms at age 49. It hit me pretty much all at once, although I think my periods were getting closer together and heavier for a few years. Anyway, one day I was fine, the next day I thought I was dying. Perimenopause symptoms included:

Indigestion and various bowel changes
Bloating and water retention
Muscle aches and pains
Extreme fatigue
Palpitations, tachycardia and chest pain (landed me in the ER twice)
Panic and anxiety (turned into depression requiring Zoloft for a time)
Very heavy and irregular periods (closer together)
Hot flashes and night sweats
Insomnia
Weight loss - then weight gain
Skin crawling, itching, electric shock feeling
Lower back and hip pain
Dizziness and loss of balance
Foggy sort of unreal feeling
Developed a thyroid problem around this time too

I never went on HRT, just tried some natural products which helped a little. Had my last period 18 months ago at age 53. The following symptoms remain and have become a way of life:

Hot flashes alternating with chills (occasionally)
Memory loss (really scary, like misplacing things, go upstair and don't know why I'm there, mind goes blank, can't remember common words, etc.)
Shape has changed to ROUND (can't remember what it's like to have a waist)
Lost interest in sex (not repulsed by it, but don't even think about it!)
Thin skin, easier bruising
Difficulty losing weight, less energy, just feel older

But the good part - NO MORE PERIODS - and that's worth everything I went through!

Annie

The Following User Says Thank You to anniefannie For This Useful Post:
tinkerbell8206 (05-04-2012)
Old 10-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniefannie
Hi Ladies:

Just want to add my story because it may save someone else a lot of anxiety. It's been a long road from my first symptoms at age 49. It hit me pretty much all at once, although I think my periods were getting closer together and heavier for a few years. Anyway, one day I was fine, the next day I thought I was dying. Perimenopause symptoms included:

Indigestion and various bowel changes
Bloating and water retention
Muscle aches and pains
Extreme fatigue
Palpitations, tachycardia and chest pain (landed me in the ER twice)
Panic and anxiety (turned into depression requiring Zoloft for a time)
Very heavy and irregular periods (closer together)
Hot flashes and night sweats
Insomnia
Weight loss - then weight gain
Skin crawling, itching, electric shock feeling
Lower back and hip pain
Dizziness and loss of balance
Foggy sort of unreal feeling
Developed a thyroid problem around this time too

I never went on HRT, just tried some natural products which helped a little. Had my last period 18 months ago at age 53. The following symptoms remain and have become a way of life:

Hot flashes alternating with chills (occasionally)
Memory loss (really scary, like misplacing things, go upstair and don't know why I'm there, mind goes blank, can't remember common words, etc.)
Shape has changed to ROUND (can't remember what it's like to have a waist)
Lost interest in sex (not repulsed by it, but don't even think about it!)
Thin skin, easier bruising
Difficulty losing weight, less energy, just feel older

But the good part - NO MORE PERIODS - and that's worth everything I went through!

Annie

Wow this sounds so so like me! It hit me all at once too although my periods wee totally off for a few years. So how did u put ur anxiety in check? With Zoloft? I am taking Prozac, 20mg. I have Xanax and take when needed although i fight this one,so haven't taken it in almost 3 months. But still clenching my teeth, still have hormone temper rages, still get depression here and there and still have the anxiety. Sometimes i will have a period every 23 days or it will skip two months or so like now. Always use to be so darn regular.

Andrea

Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #13
(female)

anniefannie HB User

Andrea:
How old are you and how long have you been in peri? My really serious symptoms lasted for about six months and then gradually started to taper off. I don't know how I got thru it because at the time I didn't even know what was happening to me. I went to 4 doctors and not one of them, including my OBGYN, said anything about perimenopause. I really did think I was dying. I had no idea all these symptoms could be from menopause. I think I went for every test known to medical science. Then my GP doc discovered I had a thyroid problem and put me on Synthroid and gave me the Zoloft to help the depression. Between these two meds I started to feel better. Then the menopause symptoms started to level off a bit too. Since menopause and thyroid can produce many of the same symptoms, I'm still not sure which ones were from which! But having all the tests at least reassured me that I wasn't dying and eventually I started to feel better. Anyway, it was a rough time and I'm glad it's over.
Annie

Old 10-12-2004, 08:47 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Annie,
Your story is very similar to mine. I felt fine one day and the next, it was living h*ll. It was the hardest time of my life! Also, didn't know what was happening to me, went to several drs. too. It hit me suddenly at age 50, had many of the symptoms you listed. I too loss weight during this time period but had since gained it back.

I was diagnosed with mild/borderline hypothyroid in my mid-40's and it is only b/c I asked my dr. to test me at that time b/c I couldn't figure out why it was so hard for me to lose weight (even tho I don't seem to have any of the other hypo symptoms). Been taking Levoxyl (generic of Synthroid).

My "ordeal" lasted for 5 months, felt better after I was put on Paxil CR. Had one period in the last 10-month period and am 51 now (will be 52 in March) and am hoping my period isn't going to show up anymore. The following symptoms that I have now are:

Hot flashes/night sweats (not too often)
Difficulty losing weight (no matter how little I eat or how much I workout)
Waist is thicker, can't seem to find it anymore too...
Lower back/hip pain (seems to go away after I move around a lot).

So, are you still taking the Zoloft? I take tons of vits - are you taking any? I am still on the Paxil CR and dr. wants me to stay on it for a year. Am a bit scare of going off of it b/c I'm afraid I will feel bad again...

I feel lucky that I didn't feel bad for years and years like some of the other ladies on this board...

molly

Old 10-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Annie,

Your post is really helpful and I thank you for it. I just turned 50 and really had no big symtpoms or problems till this year. My periods became a bit closer together as you mentioned perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, coming not like clockwork on day 28 or 30 but on day 24 or 25. But no biggie.

Then this year I began with the anxiety and as Andrea mentions in her post that has been the worse for me also. I was prescribed Xanax and have taken that when I have needed to. I began in Feb/Mar to have the anxiety big time, in conjunction with nightsweats here and there, more PMS symtpoms (like intestinal disturbances) and just generally feeling low for a longer time leading up to my period. Bloating was worse at times, muscle aches and pains as you mentioned, some palpitations, the dizzy feeling you mention, a lot of the same things. I had gone for my annual last Oct and then went again to the gyn in Oct and the doctor, thinking something terrible was wrong with me. My periods were a bit more whacky , last year I had one that I didn't get till day 50 and another time I didn't get one till day 42 but generally they have become as you mentioned closer together. One question I had for you is :

Did you have some mid cycle discharge or spotting, or some of that at other times than at period time? My history on that is that last year I had it one time where I got my period on day 29 but then on day 18 or 19 after that I got some pink color at first and then it went into a period with a regular flow for 3 or 4 days which is the usual for me (3-4 days, I don't usually have them longer).My flow is usually a lot the first couple days and then tapers off. Then I got my period after that at day 23 and then the rest of the year it was around that time except for one time at day 42. Then...this year.... I have had it happen maybe 3 times where it was a bit different : got it around day 24 in Jan.; then in Feb at day 24 lasted just 2 days and then got a little reddish brown at day 30, then in March got it at day 24 usual timeframe, same in April then in May some tannish stuff at day 20 then got my period at day 31; June got it at day 31 then at midcyle after that day 14 or 15 got some brownish , but not heavy and then got it exactly 2 weeks later at day 28, rest of the year has been at day 24 or 28. Sorry to go into this long history but am writing this to see if you have had this or anyone .

You know I should know from reading these boards and also in books I have read that the period in peri gets unpredictable and starts and stutters, etc. but it is the ANXIETY over this that really throws me for a loop. I went to the gyn yesterday for my annual pap and I told her generally I am doing better than in March as I don't have a lot of those other annoying symtpoms (intestinal, nightsweats, etc). I am taking Estroven, the over the counter vitamin and herbal supplement at her suggestion and I think it has helped some of all that. I do take Vitamin B complex too since Mar and think that has helped along with exercising more. She agreed that this all has helped. When I mentioned the times my periods have been whacky she asked me if it happens "all the time" or when it does happen is it "for a long time in duration". I said no to either as it does not and I do not have it happen all the time. She said it is typical of peri. But of course I asked why she asked that and she said 'oh, uterine cancer can cause spotting but it is routine and longer in duration". SO of course now I am worrying about that even though I just said that was not the case with mine and she just told me yesterday it is typical of peri. SO WHY do I get so worked up!!? So that is where I am today and your email prompted me to vent , sorry for the long winded email.

Just wanted to thank you for it and everyone elses input and also see if others have experienced the above. I have certainly posted enough to know that others have but guess I need to hear it again today!!

Thanks again for your post,

rmc

Closed Thread