It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
CoQ-10 and Glucosamine

Hello ladies,

Since I'm taking so many vitamins/supplements these days, I thought I might as well throw in a couple of more. Does anyone take CoQ-10 (CoEnzyme Q10) and/or Glucosamine? Is the Glucosamine with MSM and Chondrotin? If so, how long did it take before you notice any difference? If so, how many mg do you take per day?

Just wondering...
molly

Old 08-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
(female)

catluvr4 HB User
Re: CoQ-10 and Glucosamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hello ladies,

Since I'm taking so many vitamins/supplements these days, I thought I might as well throw in a couple of more. Does anyone take CoQ-10 (CoEnzyme Q10) and/or Glucosamine? Is the Glucosamine with MSM and Chondrotin? If so, how long did it take before you notice any difference? If so, how many mg do you take per day?

Just wondering...
molly
Molly, I take CoQ-10 because I take Red Yeast Rice for high cholesterol. Doctor said any statins (natural or not) rob the body of CQ-10. So, I'm basically replacing what may get depleted. I take 50mg twice a day. Don't really know if it's doing anything since I don't feel any different. And I have been taking it for over a year.

Last edited by catluvr4; 08-06-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
Molly, I take CoQ-10 because I take Red Yeast Rice for high cholesterol. Doctor said any statins (natural or not) rob the body of CQ-10. So, I'm basically replacing what may get depleted. I take 50mg twice a day. Don't really know if it's doing anything since I don't feel any different. And I have been taking it for over a year.
Hi Catluvr,

Thanks for responding. A friend of mine met this woman who is about 65 yo. This 65 yo woman has a ton of energy, the friend said she can run circles around us younger folks. The woman said it is b/c she takes CoQ-10 and Glucosamine. I read that the CoQ-10 is suppose to increase energy. Do you see an increase at all in your energy level?

Have a good day,
molly

Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

joyka HB User

I would like to know if you have lost any weight from taking CoQ-10 as I read that it was good for increasing your metabolism.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I have been taking CoQ-10 for five years now. I do not feel anything but I know it is great for the heart and gum disease. It's best to get it in the capsule form rather then the tablet form because capsule goes directly through the blood stream, where as tablet loses a lot of its potency in the digestive process.
Also I have been taking glucosamine for probably as long as the CoQ-10 and I was taking MSM. But recently I have been having accupuncture and the doctor told me to cut the MSM because of its high sufur content. He feels it can worsens perimenopause ( especially for women who develop joint pain). Glucosime however it fine. It is all preventive and I feel we will feel the pay-off later when we do not suffer from aliments.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Hi Catluvr,

Thanks for responding. A friend of mine met this woman who is about 65 yo. This 65 yo woman has a ton of energy, the friend said she can run circles around us younger folks. The woman said it is b/c she takes CoQ-10 and Glucosamine. I read that the CoQ-10 is suppose to increase energy. Do you see an increase at all in your energy level?

Have a good day,
molly
Hi Molly,
I'm so sorry it took me so long again to get back to you. We have company from out of state so we have been pretty busy. And tomorrow we are heading out of town for the weekend.
You were wondering if I have seen an increase in energy with the CoQ-10. I really don't know. I go through those phases with tons of energy or crushing fatique. So far, the only thing that has helped with the energy is exercise. Yesterday, I had one of crushing fatique mornings. But after doing 2 miles on Walk away the pounds, I had my energy back. In the afternoon when everybody settled in to take a nap, I put in another mile and the pilates. That gave additional energy to clean all three bathrooms, and I never did take a nap like the others, LOL. So for me, exercise is the key.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Thanks to all of you for responding. I guess I will give them both a try the next time I decide to shop for vitamins online.

Cutluvr, I agree that exercise seems to help with the energy, as well as the achy joints. Keep up the exercise. You'll be doing 4 miles soon...get her 4-Mile Express - it pretty good. Aside from the energy increase, have you noticed a difference in your legs? More toned, perhaps?

Have a weekend everyone!

molly

Old 08-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Cutluvr, I agree that exercise seems to help with the energy, as well as the achy joints. Keep up the exercise. You'll be doing 4 miles soon...get her 4-Mile Express - it pretty good. Aside from the energy increase, have you noticed a difference in your legs? More toned, perhaps?

Have a weekend everyone!

molly
Hi Molly,

Yes, my legs feel much tighter and stronger. I guess 'more toned' would be the right response. Even the tushy is tighter and lifted just a bit hgher.
Molly, when you have a chance, could you tell me more about the 4-Mile Express? It s ounds great, but there is no way I could do four miles yet.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
Hi Molly,

Yes, my legs feel much tighter and stronger. I guess 'more toned' would be the right response. Even the tushy is tighter and lifted just a bit hgher.
Molly, when you have a chance, could you tell me more about the 4-Mile Express? It s ounds great, but there is no way I could do four miles yet.
Hi Catluvr,

Great to hear you are keeping up with the walking tapes and gettng results!! Some people may get the impression that this can't be a good cadio workout but I've noticed visible slimming and toning in a short time. It is encouraging when you get results, isn't it? I also like the fact that these tapes aren't hard to follow, and no jumping up and down.

I have many of the The Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) tapes. My favorite is the "WATP for Abs" and her "Express" series. The 4-Mile Express-Super Challenge tape is basically the same moves but there's fresh upbeat music and a new look. On the Express 2- and 3-mile tapes, she uses the stretchie band which can make you sweat quite a bit (I don't have the 1 mile). What's good about having a 4-mile tape is that you can do only 1 or 2 miles or 3 miles, whatever you like. I use light hand weights sometimes too - and do my own arm movements. Most of her tapes are very similar, but I just think it is good to have a variety, otherwise, you'll get tired of the same-o same-o.

I used the WATP tapes when I was not feeling very good at all. It helped me whenever I felt anxiety and the internal shakes. When you're ready for something even more challenging, I'll tell you about Slim in 6!

Keep walking!
Take care,
molly

Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Hi Molly,

Wow, I had no idea that there are so many WATP tapes. They all sound so exciting; time to start building a library of exercise goodies.
Oh yes, when I'm ready, I'll ask about Slim in 6.
Have you ever read any books by Covert Bailey? I have his 'The Fit or Fat Woman' and it's wonderful. Very motivating. He explains why diets don't work, and how our hormones are keeping us 'fat' among other things.
Molly, thanks for your help.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[
Quote:
QUOTE=catluvr4]Hi Molly,

Wow, I had no idea that there are so many WATP tapes. They all sound so exciting; time to start building a library of exercise goodies.
Oh yes, when I'm ready, I'll ask about Slim in 6.
Have you ever read any books by Covert Bailey? I have his 'The Fit or Fat Woman' and it's wonderful. Very motivating. He explains why diets don't work, and how our hormones are keeping us 'fat' among other things.
Molly, thanks for your help.
[/QUOTE]

Hi'ya Catluvr,

I read "Fit or Fat" by Covert Bailey many years ago. Think I still have it on the shelf - that is a good book too. I haven't read "The Fit or Fat Woman" - thanks for letting me know it exists - something I'll check into the next time I place an order with amazon.

Just curious - which WATP tapes did you buy? She has 1-2-3 miles tapes where she uses these 2# balls - that tape is very similiar to the WATP for Abs where she uses this stretch band that you wear around your waist. These are her older tapes but good - then she has some where you can tell she was really young and less experienced. A good place to check into exercise tapes is collage video...do a search on it. I use it mainly to see what else is out there. The prices aren't as cheap as amazon tho.

Keep walking with these tapes - you'll feel better and will see a big difference, esp. butt, thighs and calves!

Have a good day too...
molly

Old 08-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #12

PennyD HB User

Hi Molly,
Just wanted you to know I am ok. Have not started spotting this month-- that is a very good thing!! Hope you are ok. Think of you every day!!

Hugs, Penny

Old 08-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #13
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
[
Hi'ya Catluvr,

Just curious - which WATP tapes did you buy? She has 1-2-3 miles tapes where she uses these 2# balls - that tape is very similiar to the WATP for Abs where she uses this stretch band that you wear around your waist. These are her older tapes but good - then she has some where you can tell she was really young and less experienced. A good place to check into exercise tapes is collage video...do a search on it. I use it mainly to see what else is out there. The prices aren't as cheap as amazon tho.

Have a good day too...
molly
[/QUOTE]

Hi Molly,

I have the 1-2-3 mile set of WATP without the weights. I had found the DVD set really cheap at Sam's Club late last year. They have been sitting here collecting dust; I thought if I stare at them long enough, they would start to work without my help. LOL. But I did make myself two sets of 2 lb weights.

This morning, I actally did the full 3 mile walk. My gosh, it whipped the heck out of me. WATP is sooo much more intense than a regular 3 mile walk in the park. Next time I place an order with amazon, I'll get the 4 mile walk. Can't wait for more punishment.

Molly, is the express version of the walking disks the same as the 1-2-3 mile walk? Or is it a bit different? I'm asking because I really do want to built a fitness library. Besides, I when I do reach menopause. I want to be fit and healthy and keep on exercising. There is a 82 year old woman that lives here; she didn't start exercising until she was 55. Now, she runs several marathons every year. She is my role model.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Hi Molly,
Just wanted you to know I am ok. Have not started spotting this month-- that is a very good thing!! Hope you are ok. Think of you every day!!

Hugs, Penny
Hi Penny,
I'm fine...hope you are OK. Was thinking if you got hit by the hurricane...aren't you near the gulf coast somewhere? Are you feeling close to normal? Now, don't you go worrying about whether you're going to get your period every month and what condition it'll be....you don't need to start stressing yourself out. By the way, how's the walking, dearie?

Been busy with work lately....but look forward to your posts!

molly

Old 08-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Catluvr,

I don't know exactly which DVD set you're talking about...she has so many. What is the exact title on the box? Hey, you're not alone when it comes to having exercise tapes sitting around....I have a whole bunch I just dumped plus a threadmill .. great for hanging clothes! LOL! I know of more people who end up buying workout gadgets from TV and never use them! So, when it comes to exercise tapes, it is hard to find ones that you end up really liking. I prefer the ones that are easy to follow. If it is too hard to follow, I give up right away.

Her "Express" tapes are pretty new..think it just came out last year or so. She has one in each mile (1-2-3-4) but I think it comes in a set too (for 2-3-4 miles only). The 4-mile tape comes in a green box. You do have to be careful about buying her tapes...she has so many. I probably have about 12 of hers in different miles and time periods. All her moves are the same...but it's not a routine so all her tapes aren't identical in that way. You even get to recognize and remember of the names of the people working out with her.

I have always worked out most of my life...I hope to keep doing so as I get older. I'm impressed w/your friend who is 82 who runs marathons - I don't think I could or would ever do that in my lifetime. Now, I have a 95-year woman friend who walks with me and some of the neighbors and our dogs every night, goes our parties, BBQs, etc.! She is tiny, fiesty and in good health. She looks easily 25 years younger! Said she has to stay active and moves around as much as she can. Of course, she isn't any help during this menopause time of my life - said she doesn't remember! LOL!

Keep me posted on how you're doing with your workout!! ....If only I can get Penny to try these tapes too! (hint, hint...Penny, dear, are you out there?)

Take care,
Molly

Quote:
Hi Molly,

I have the 1-2-3 mile set of WATP without the weights. I had found the DVD set really cheap at Sam's Club late last year. They have been sitting here collecting dust; I thought if I stare at them long enough, they would start to work without my help. LOL. But I did make myself two sets of 2 lb weights.

This morning, I actally did the full 3 mile walk. My gosh, it whipped the heck out of me. WATP is sooo much more intense than a regular 3 mile walk in the park. Next time I place an order with amazon, I'll get the 4 mile walk. Can't wait for more punishment.

Molly, is the express version of the walking disks the same as the 1-2-3 mile walk? Or is it a bit different? I'm asking because I really do want to built a fitness library. Besides, I when I do reach menopause. I want to be fit and healthy and keep on exercising. There is a 82 year old woman that lives here; she didn't start exercising until she was 55. Now, she runs several marathons every year. She is my role model.
[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread