It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
Estrogen Patch, weight gain, Fibromyalgia

Hi everyone!

This is my first time at the menopause site, happy to interact with everyone. To tell you a little about myself...

1. Full hystorectomy 15 years ago. Taking low dose estrogen on and off...mostly off.

2. Fibromyalgia 2 years ago. (Although I believe I have been living with it for closer to 12 or 13 years due to symptoms. But diag just 2 because of how doctors (some) feel about whether it "is" or "isn't"...

Do any of you experience both? What do you do for it if so? Meds for both, etc.

Estrogen patch users: Good results? I'm concerned about weight gain and hair loss. These are two of the first side effects that appear for me with different drugs.

I do have hot flashes very often and sleep problems, etc. Sleep problems are of course results of both Fibro and forced meno, but I do know the hot flashes come from the meno.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hugs and smiles,
Annie

Has anyone else experienced

Old 08-09-2004, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Estrogen Patch, weight gain, Fibromyalgia

I am going through meno. In fact, I haven't had a period in over a year. I also have fibro. I haven't taken anything for either of them yet. The meno symptoms have been bad and, at times, it is hard to distinguish between symptoms of fibro and meno. I don't know any medicine that works for both. Some say that an antidepressant will work but I don't like the side effects. I think, and hope, that CBT or some kind of therapy will lower stress levels and maybe help us to deal with some of these symptoms or help them to disappear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 04:49 PM   #3

JOYEVE HB User
Talking Re: Estrogen Patch, weight gain, Fibromyalgia

I went through menopause a year ago and also have fibro- I go regularly to my chiropracter (once a week) and that helps me quite a bit- not a cure but makes symptoms manageable. Walking several miles a day sometime help me sleep better- but not always! I also go for massage every so often- if I could afford it I would go every week. Vitamin E seems to help with hot flashes. I have been prescibed antidepressants but have not taken them yet as I am not big on meds and am a litte fearful of side effects. Believe it or not- taking calcium at bedtime helps me sleep a bit better!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thanks everyone!

Baby Boomer, no I have not heard of that....but I will look up your website u mentioned. Thx

Old 08-11-2004, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

I was diagnosed with FM about 4 years ago, but I think it was really just an underactive thyroid. I was already on Synthroid, but the dosage wasn't high enough. I was being treated by a GP, and they aren't well-versed in the thyroid. I had to go to an endoc to see what was really going on. He increased by Synthroid and in about 3 weeks I felt like a new person physically. It took progesterone cream to improve my mental and emotional state and now I feel wonderful. Hypothyroidism is the most undertreated disease in the US today, and many people diagnosed with FM actually have an underactive thyroid. The symptoms are identical and the problem is that we are seeing GP's for this problem and to be very blunt, they are IGNORANT when it comes to the thyroid. They don't even know how to read the blood test results accurately.

Marilyn

Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

So there is no problem using the progesterone cream with thyroid medication? I take levoxyl since I had my thyroid treated with radioactive iodine. I want to start using the cream and see if it will help. I just don't want to throw my thyroid off.

Jacq.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #7

JOYEVE HB User
Exclamation Re: Estrogen Patch, weight gain, Fibromyalgia

I had a question about thyroid problems- I have had some symptoms but blood test do not confirm diagnosis- how did you know you had problem- and what symptoms did progesterone cream help with?

Closed Thread