It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #1

MaryJet HB User
Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

I'll be forty seven in a couple of weeks and am having peri menopause symptoms, the most irritating is the debilitating anxiety. I have always been an anxious person, but now it's way out of control. I have been prescribed lorazepam for panic attacks, I was just wondering if anyone else is taking anxiety meds every day. I don't take them every day but I would like to. I know they are addictive so I take about one to six a month.
Thanx,
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

I take Zoloft every day. 75mg. I had to in the end because I could not function. It is horrible this anxiety so I totally understand what you are going through. I hate it.
God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #3

MaryJet HB User

Hi there, zoloft is an anti-depressant which I probably could also use, but I can't take the side effects. Lorazepam is more like a quick fix, something I like but it doesn't last long.
Mary

Old 08-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
I'll be forty seven in a couple of weeks and am having peri menopause symptoms, the most irritating is the debilitating anxiety. I have always been an anxious person, but now it's way out of control. I have been prescribed lorazepam for panic attacks, I was just wondering if anyone else is taking anxiety meds every day. I don't take them every day but I would like to. I know they are addictive so I take about one to six a month.
Thanx,
Mary

Welcome to the world of permenopause and anxiety hell! LOL I take Xanax here and there, not much but take 10mg. of Prozac a day for the anxiety, etc. I know how this perimenopause makes you feel, the anxiety is horrible. I just got my period on day 69 which is totally not me and then it lasted for two days and then disappeared completely and left me with horrid anxiety.

Andrea

Old 08-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #5

MaryJet HB User

Hi Andrea, thank you for the warm welcome but if you don't mind, I'd like to get off this train!
I hope this doesn't last long, some people tell me years...oh dear...hubby and kids won't be happy with me at all. I have these highs and lows, but the lows are getting lower. I need some help and soon.
Mary

Old 08-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
Hi Andrea, thank you for the warm welcome but if you don't mind, I'd like to get off this train!
I hope this doesn't last long, some people tell me years...oh dear...hubby and kids won't be happy with me at all. I have these highs and lows, but the lows are getting lower. I need some help and soon.
Mary
I know how hard it is and trust me, like to get off this crazy train too. Even though I take Prozac, I'm still having the hormone fritzes! The only thing I can tell you is try to stay as positive as you can and walk through every symptom, no matter how bad you feel. If you let it get to you, it will only be worse.

Andrea

Old 08-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

MaryJet...I too am a sporadic user of ativan (lorezapan..sp?) and I agree with Andrea, no matter how bad, muscle through those symptoms with any tools you have. And as for it lasting years, yep they do for some of us. Hey girls I have an idea...lets all hold hands and when someone sees a train stop coming, JUMP OFF!!!!! hehehehehe Sorry, my deluded brain and warped humor...wouldn't it be nice if we could do that? <sigh> I hope we all have a better day
Conni

Old 08-12-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1awesomegranny
MaryJet...I too am a sporadic user of ativan (lorezapan..sp?) and I agree with Andrea, no matter how bad, muscle through those symptoms with any tools you have. And as for it lasting years, yep they do for some of us. Hey girls I have an idea...lets all hold hands and when someone sees a train stop coming, JUMP OFF!!!!! hehehehehe Sorry, my deluded brain and warped humor...wouldn't it be nice if we could do that? <sigh> I hope we all have a better day
Conni
I'm holding your hand, Conni. LOL

Andrea

Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #9

MaryJet HB User

Conni, I hear you. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who depends on a pill every so often to take the edge off. It allows me to relax my body and mind for a few hours. I really don't want to become addicted, it's hard to know how much is too much. The doctor says everyone is different so I never get a straight answer.
We'll get through this, one day at a time.

Hugs,
Mary

Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Andrea....I know it was said in humor following what I said, but what a comforting sentence, just to know someone is "holding" my hand; thank you so much! The support from these boards is the very best part of my day sometimes and I am sooooo thankful for it. There are times when reading the posts calms me down as good as an ativan.
Mary, as for getting addicted, I think the way we take them, only when needed doesn't pose much of a problem for that. It is nice to know we can use them as a last resort if we have to. And hey, if I had to take them every day several times a day I would because I'm for anything that will help me through this time. I think we'll all know when they're not needed as much and at that point a natural weening process would take over. Hormones just scare me tho, all the bad stuff I've read about them so I'm with you in trying not to take them unless I have to; but God Bless the women that do, like I've said before a thousand times, do anything that works for you!!
Conni
(let's all mob that conductor, I haven't heard him announce any stops....lol)

Closed Thread