It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 48
MaryJet HB User
Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

I'll be forty seven in a couple of weeks and am having peri menopause symptoms, the most irritating is the debilitating anxiety. I have always been an anxious person, but now it's way out of control. I have been prescribed lorazepam for panic attacks, I was just wondering if anyone else is taking anxiety meds every day. I don't take them every day but I would like to. I know they are addictive so I take about one to six a month.
Thanx,
Mary

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 411
jacqbu HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

I take Zoloft every day. 75mg. I had to in the end because I could not function. It is horrible this anxiety so I totally understand what you are going through. I hate it.
God Bless

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 48
MaryJet HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Hi there, zoloft is an anti-depressant which I probably could also use, but I can't take the side effects. Lorazepam is more like a quick fix, something I like but it doesn't last long.
Mary

 
Old 08-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,126
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
I'll be forty seven in a couple of weeks and am having peri menopause symptoms, the most irritating is the debilitating anxiety. I have always been an anxious person, but now it's way out of control. I have been prescribed lorazepam for panic attacks, I was just wondering if anyone else is taking anxiety meds every day. I don't take them every day but I would like to. I know they are addictive so I take about one to six a month.
Thanx,
Mary

Welcome to the world of permenopause and anxiety hell! LOL I take Xanax here and there, not much but take 10mg. of Prozac a day for the anxiety, etc. I know how this perimenopause makes you feel, the anxiety is horrible. I just got my period on day 69 which is totally not me and then it lasted for two days and then disappeared completely and left me with horrid anxiety.

Andrea

 
Old 08-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 48
MaryJet HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Hi Andrea, thank you for the warm welcome but if you don't mind, I'd like to get off this train!
I hope this doesn't last long, some people tell me years...oh dear...hubby and kids won't be happy with me at all. I have these highs and lows, but the lows are getting lower. I need some help and soon.
Mary

 
Old 08-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,126
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJet
Hi Andrea, thank you for the warm welcome but if you don't mind, I'd like to get off this train!
I hope this doesn't last long, some people tell me years...oh dear...hubby and kids won't be happy with me at all. I have these highs and lows, but the lows are getting lower. I need some help and soon.
Mary
I know how hard it is and trust me, like to get off this crazy train too. Even though I take Prozac, I'm still having the hormone fritzes! The only thing I can tell you is try to stay as positive as you can and walk through every symptom, no matter how bad you feel. If you let it get to you, it will only be worse.

Andrea

 
Old 08-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 236
1awesomegranny HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

MaryJet...I too am a sporadic user of ativan (lorezapan..sp?) and I agree with Andrea, no matter how bad, muscle through those symptoms with any tools you have. And as for it lasting years, yep they do for some of us. Hey girls I have an idea...lets all hold hands and when someone sees a train stop coming, JUMP OFF!!!!! hehehehehe Sorry, my deluded brain and warped humor...wouldn't it be nice if we could do that? <sigh> I hope we all have a better day
Conni

 
Old 08-12-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,126
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1awesomegranny
MaryJet...I too am a sporadic user of ativan (lorezapan..sp?) and I agree with Andrea, no matter how bad, muscle through those symptoms with any tools you have. And as for it lasting years, yep they do for some of us. Hey girls I have an idea...lets all hold hands and when someone sees a train stop coming, JUMP OFF!!!!! hehehehehe Sorry, my deluded brain and warped humor...wouldn't it be nice if we could do that? <sigh> I hope we all have a better day
Conni
I'm holding your hand, Conni. LOL

Andrea

 
Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 48
MaryJet HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Conni, I hear you. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who depends on a pill every so often to take the edge off. It allows me to relax my body and mind for a few hours. I really don't want to become addicted, it's hard to know how much is too much. The doctor says everyone is different so I never get a straight answer.
We'll get through this, one day at a time.

Hugs,
Mary

 
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 236
1awesomegranny HB User
Re: Peri meno anxiety and tranquilizers...

Andrea....I know it was said in humor following what I said, but what a comforting sentence, just to know someone is "holding" my hand; thank you so much! The support from these boards is the very best part of my day sometimes and I am sooooo thankful for it. There are times when reading the posts calms me down as good as an ativan.
Mary, as for getting addicted, I think the way we take them, only when needed doesn't pose much of a problem for that. It is nice to know we can use them as a last resort if we have to. And hey, if I had to take them every day several times a day I would because I'm for anything that will help me through this time. I think we'll all know when they're not needed as much and at that point a natural weening process would take over. Hormones just scare me tho, all the bad stuff I've read about them so I'm with you in trying not to take them unless I have to; but God Bless the women that do, like I've said before a thousand times, do anything that works for you!!
Conni
(let's all mob that conductor, I haven't heard him announce any stops....lol)

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
very useful chat with menopause nurse about symptoms of peri menopause yesterday LINSCYCLIST Menopause 8 04-27-2006 04:24 PM
anxiety,peri or both? rosyposy Menopause 11 08-21-2005 12:34 PM
to Molly (and others too!!) re : PERI ANXIETY rmc12 Menopause 21 04-07-2005 10:46 AM
Peri/Thyroid?? serbocro Menopause 19 01-24-2005 07:29 PM
Confusion about peri heitara Menopause 4 09-04-2004 07:28 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!