It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 82
joyka HB User
No Drugs

Is anyone doing this menopause thing without any medication? I am just curious as I hate taking anything at all, especially hormones. I took the pill when I was about 18 but not for long as I didn't like the symptoms from it. I think anything that alters hormones is somewhat experimental and has undetermined affects.

 
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 1,009
twanger HB User
Re: No Drugs

Yes, I have not taken anything. I have not had a period for 15 months and suffered through the peri stuff for about two years. I have had just about every symptom listed and they usually lasted for about a month until another one popped up. This cycling, caused me a lot of anxiety which is still present. Most of the other symptoms come in a milder form now. The anxiety is horrible. Others have suggested that I take medication for this, but, like you I hate to take medicine.

I have decided to take long walks, if my muscles will allow and lift weights and stretch. Also, I want to look into CBT and see if that will help with the anxiety. I figure that I made it this far, I may as well finish it up naturally. Hope I can.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: No Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
Yes, I have not taken anything. I have not had a period for 15 months and suffered through the peri stuff for about two years. I have had just about every symptom listed and they usually lasted for about a month until another one popped up. This cycling, caused me a lot of anxiety which is still present. Most of the other symptoms come in a milder form now. The anxiety is horrible. Others have suggested that I take medication for this, but, like you I hate to take medicine.

I have decided to take long walks, if my muscles will allow and lift weights and stretch. Also, I want to look into CBT and see if that will help with the anxiety. I figure that I made it this far, I may as well finish it up naturally. Hope I can.

Twanger, the CBT will help you with anxiety. It's hard, cause when you feel a body symptom, you think something is wrong and it gets harder. I go through symptoms everyday.

 
Old 08-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,153
molly123 HB User
Re: No Drugs

Do you think that if I didn't go on Paxil CR, I would still be experiencing symptoms?? Golly gee-whiz, if this is the case, I will be afraid to get off of it. I was always under the impression that meds, such as the SSRIs do not get rid of any peri-meno symptoms - it just helps you manage things better. It just seems some of us have these symptoms day end and day out, year after year no matter what we do or take, while some don't have any or hardly any symptoms.

Just wondeirng what your thoughts and hopes are on this for your situation.....

Hope everyone is feeling good today,
Molly

 
Old 08-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 1,009
twanger HB User
Re: No Drugs

ainfante, thanks. What symptoms do you experience everyday?

 
Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 235
1awesomegranny HB User
Re: No Drugs

I too have decided to tough it out without hormones. I do occasionally take half an ativan to help with the anxiety because if I didn't I'd be totally nutso! I have different symptoms everyday, mostly gastro, and I too notice when I feel a "body pain" the anxiety gets worse from the wondering of "what is it now?" Some months I don't have to take anything, some months as many as 5-7 half pills. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this crud...for my gastro problems I take different supplements (added magnesium, mastic gum, prilosec otc when needed) and I take a b-complex, cal/mag and acidophillus daily. I've been having a rough couple days but my period is due early next week, so I'm figuring thats the culprit....I always feel better after it starts. Yesterday had a dull right side forehead headache that felt like a bruise and a bit of lightheadedness. Didn't bother to take anything because it never helps, just seems to have to run its course. I like others just try to manage everyday with whatever tools we posess to get through.
May we all have a good day
Conni

 
Old 08-22-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20
Pamida HB User
Re: No Drugs

Hi,
I am new to this board. I had to have a complete hysterectomy due to cervical cancer so I was thrown into instant menopause. I also had hepatitis C which through treatment is now gone but doctor will not give me anything for symptoms my worse symptom is hot flashes and in the summer I get them several times an hour. Since I have liver damage the doctor does not feel alot of medications are good for me to take.
I tried some of the otc type things for hot flashes but nothing worked. I will be 51 in October and have been going through this for around 5 years now. I have no idea how long it takes until a woman no longer has hot flashes but I hope I do not have to suffer to many more years.
It is also embarassing when your out in public then suddenly start dripping with sweat plus I turn red it is really awful. When I decided to have my overies removed when I had the hysterctomy I never thought about hot flashes all I was worried of was ovarian cancer so I had them removed. I am sorry to hear there are others out there suffering like me I would not wish this on my worse enemy.
Pamm

 
Old 08-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: No Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
ainfante, thanks. What symptoms do you experience everyday?
For one, I experience anxiety everyday. And anxiety comes in many forms. I experience lightheadness almost everyday, Ijust keep walking through it, my body humms like a machine alot and my muscles twitch, LOL at least my eye stopped twitching, LOL Anyways, the stomach bothers me at times and I just had a kidney stone crunched, LOl wasn't funny at the time and now I can't take my calcium/magnesium that was helping so but didn't get rid of my symptoms completely, still have the anxiety. My gyne gave me hormones, still sitting on the shelf, and I take 10mg. of Prozac and hardly take the Xanax although they'd like me to take a bit more, just won't take it unitl I'm practically on my face. I'm reading this book about menopause and the mind about brain fog, spaciness and everything else, amazing book I picked up at the library and that anxiety and panic attacks come with the program, lovely ehh? Well Twanger, you and I are in the same boat and I guess we just have to keep going as we do, still feeling the anxiety, not to mention I do tremble and argue wtih my docs all the time about my thyroid but even though they are low normal, they won't treat it. So such is life in the meno world and tell me about your symptoms.

Andrea

 
Old 08-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: No Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Do you think that if I didn't go on Paxil CR, I would still be experiencing symptoms?? Golly gee-whiz, if this is the case, I will be afraid to get off of it. I was always under the impression that meds, such as the SSRIs do not get rid of any peri-meno symptoms - it just helps you manage things better. It just seems some of us have these symptoms day end and day out, year after year no matter what we do or take, while some don't have any or hardly any symptoms.

Just wondeirng what your thoughts and hopes are on this for your situation.....

Hope everyone is feeling good today,
Molly
Molly, if you can get off the meds, do, but make sure you can, cause I know I tried and I'm still feeling anxious so still had to do it. My periods are really wackey, I figure a bit of Prozac can't hurt and the Xanax, well I only take it when I really need it and haven't taken it for at least 4 or 5 weeks now, but what I miss is my slow mag you recommended. I haven't take it until last week cause I had to have a kidney stone crushed out of my kidney and now I don't know what to do cause they have to examine the stones and see what they are made of. So keep up with the meds if they are helping, please don't make your poor body go through more than perimenopause is going to take it, cause honestly, perimenopause is menopause and when you are officially in meno you are about to go into post menopause and all should be better by then. I've decided to go back to school and continue my degree. I will be getting my bachelors in Alternative Medicine and my specialty will by perimenopause, definitely! LOL

Andrea

 
Old 08-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 291
PennyD HB User
Re: No Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Do you think that if I didn't go on Paxil CR, I would still be experiencing symptoms?? Golly gee-whiz, if this is the case, I will be afraid to get off of it. I was always under the impression that meds, such as the SSRIs do not get rid of any peri-meno symptoms - it just helps you manage things better. It just seems some of us have these symptoms day end and day out, year after year no matter what we do or take, while some don't have any or hardly any symptoms.

Just wondeirng what your thoughts and hopes are on this for your situation.....

Hope everyone is feeling good today,
Molly
Molly,
My symptoms were so severe from August 2003 until February 2004 when I added the Paxil CR to the Klonopin I was taking that I could hardly function. Until I started the Klonopin in Setpember 2003 I could not get out of bed. And I am not a weak person by nature!! Apparently some people as you said have few symptoms and need no meds to manage, some people like us need the meds to manage the symptoms because ours are so much worse. I resisted as did you the meds for a long time. But when you can't get out of bed you have to become more broad minded. I believe that a person should do whatever they have to do to manage peri and its related problems. I would so like to be one of those women who can manage without the meds, at this point I have tried to get off the Klonopin 4 times, without total sucess. I can cut it back now, but I am not at a place with my anxiety according to my endo/gyn to come off of the med completely. Everyone should do what is best for them and no one should have any guilt over using the meds. And the ones not using meds should be thankful they don't have to. I am so looking forward to the day when I am through this part of my life and off all meds!!!!
Penny

 
Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,153
molly123 HB User
Re: No Drugs

Hi Andrea,
Right now, I am still taking my Paxil CR. I would like to get off of it one day but I am afraid to too. I'm afraid that I will start feeling bad again. Makes me think that I've become depended on it...but yet, when I forget to take it at my usual time and hours pass by, I guess I'm not all that depended on it afterall. It seems like so many people are on some kind of SSRI and have been taking it for years and years without much concern. My dr. wants me to stay on it for at least a year....I'll see what he thinks when the time comes.

How are you feeling with the kidney stone issue? Have you heard back from the dr. yet? You are going through so much with all your symptoms. You seem to manage them well though. Seriously, I think you should become a menopause dr.! Do it quickly too! LOL! Educate other drs. about all this, especially those men drs.! You are intelligent, retain everything you read, are extremely knowlegeable about all this stuff and has helped a lot of us ladies here. Write a book too!

Hugs,
Molly


Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Molly, if you can get off the meds, do, but make sure you can, cause I know I tried and I'm still feeling anxious so still had to do it. My periods are really wackey, I figure a bit of Prozac can't hurt and the Xanax, well I only take it when I really need it and haven't taken it for at least 4 or 5 weeks now, but what I miss is my slow mag you recommended. I haven't take it until last week cause I had to have a kidney stone crushed out of my kidney and now I don't know what to do cause they have to examine the stones and see what they are made of. So keep up with the meds if they are helping, please don't make your poor body go through more than perimenopause is going to take it, cause honestly, perimenopause is menopause and when you are officially in meno you are about to go into post menopause and all should be better by then. I've decided to go back to school and continue my degree. I will be getting my bachelors in Alternative Medicine and my specialty will by perimenopause, definitely! LOL

Andrea

 
Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,153
molly123 HB User
Re: No Drugs

Hey Penny,
My symptoms were also severe from August 2003 but until mid-Jan. 2004. I felt better after adding the Paxil CR in late December. I was not functioning at all for months. I didn't work at all, couldn't get out of bed either. I felt so old and was so sick and tired of feeling bad. I felt like it was the end of the world for me! Going to all these drs. didn't help at all either. It made me probably more anxious.

I too agree that we should take whatever meds that will help us through all this...I just don't like the idea that I'm taking an "anti-depressant." When all this was going on, my dr. said I was suffering depression--wanted to know what was going on with my life, etc. - not meno symptoms. I kept insisting that I wasn't depressed--it was b/c I was sick and tired of feeling bad and if anything, I wasn't clinically depressed. I also spent a lot of time trying to analyze why I was having anxiety, thinking I had some unresolved issues in my life...but then, I couldn't think of any because I'm one who speaks her mind, and figure I am just a worrier who tends to scare myself half of the time over every little thing, that I have a difficult time with change....in other words, self-inflicted anticipatory anxiety! Once I came to terms that I'm going thru meno, stopped dwelling on how bad I felt, and I wasn't going to waste any more time going from dr. to dr., I felt better too.

I too look forward to the day when I feel comfortable enought to be off the Paxil CR....but I guess I'll be having all these vits/supplements (ugh!) for the rest of my life???!?!?!

Have a good day...
molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Molly,
My symptoms were so severe from August 2003 until February 2004 when I added the Paxil CR to the Klonopin I was taking that I could hardly function. Until I started the Klonopin in Setpember 2003 I could not get out of bed. And I am not a weak person by nature!! Apparently some people as you said have few symptoms and need no meds to manage, some people like us need the meds to manage the symptoms because ours are so much worse. I resisted as did you the meds for a long time. But when you can't get out of bed you have to become more broad minded. I believe that a person should do whatever they have to do to manage peri and its related problems. I would so like to be one of those women who can manage without the meds, at this point I have tried to get off the Klonopin 4 times, without total sucess. I can cut it back now, but I am not at a place with my anxiety according to my endo/gyn to come off of the med completely. Everyone should do what is best for them and no one should have any guilt over using the meds. And the ones not using meds should be thankful they don't have to. I am so looking forward to the day when I am through this part of my life and off all meds!!!!
Penny

Last edited by molly123; 08-24-2004 at 08:36 AM.

 
Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 82
joyka HB User
Re: No Drugs

I have been having a lot of anxiety and some mild depression. My life just flashes before me like an endless barren landscape and it all seems hopeless and meaningless. I guess it would help if I had more contact with people but I am alone almost all the time I am not at work. I can hardly bear to be around anyone as everything they say or do is overhwhelminging irritating.

 
Old 08-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Posts: 84
divadebi HB User
Re: No Drugs

Go and read the posts on this board regarding replacing hormones with bio identical hormones. Better to take that for hormone swings than that scary Paxil stuff. Mood swings aren't always depressive disorders if you are around menopause age. That stuff gives you the jitters and once you go on it, they don't want you to come off. Weight gain or weight loss can occur with it also. Check out the hormone posts.
__________________
You are what you eat so eat something rich!!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
ejaculation or DRE before psa blood draw medved Cancer: Prostate 15 11-24-2009 12:10 PM
my daughter in law walked out on my grandchildren for drugs..what to do? dolejaly Relationship Health 14 11-22-2009 09:37 AM
how do i stop taking drugs i am ready now decorator Addiction & Recovery 5 04-16-2008 03:58 AM
Generic drugs & brand name drugs famnd High & Low Blood Pressure 15 01-29-2008 06:15 PM
Tinnitus and hearing loss - drugs that can cause it Cuilc Hearing Disorders 4 07-26-2007 06:42 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!