It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

I_Love_My_Dad HB User
Unhappy Partial Hyst - Uterus - Questions

Hi. I'm planning to have a partial (uterus only) hysterectomy. I am 34 yrs. old, and do not want any more children. I read something about bladder incontinence after this procedure? Has anyone had this? Also, did you have it done with an incision on your abdomen or vagina? I'm very nervous about this, and wonder if I should wait until I'm in pain. Right now, it's uncomfortable during sex, and sometimes my periods give me sharp pains (no heavy bleeding) but not extremely painful.

I have fibroids on my uterus and it has been prolapsed (flipped) for 15 years. It is just now starting to cause some discomfort. I also have a cyst on my left ovary, but he is not going to remove my ovaries.

It would be nice not to have any more periods, but I would like to know your experiences, side effects etc... I'm a little scared. He said it's a pretty simple procedure that takes about 30 min. and it's just an overnight stay.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Re: Partial Hyst - Uterus - Questions

I had one back in the early 90's and it's done vaginally, no incisions to speak of, so healing time is fast and painfree pretty much. Too many doctors jump the gun and do partials because of fibroids, when they can be removed with laser surgery, leaving the uterus intact. Research this ALOT before you have it done. Once you have your uterus removed, the ovaries slow down or STOP their production of progesterone, throwing you into early menopause. The doc might tell you different, so you must research this and get your info from docs that specialize in this area. The ovaries work hand in hand with the uterus, so once the uterus is gone, your whole system is thrown off-balance. I've been there and done it, so know what I am talking about and it was a living hell for the first 10 years AFTER the partial. Due to the lack of progesterone caused by the surgery, I suffered from estrogen dominance, and that caused my thyroid to malfunction and now I have hypothyroidism and am on medication for it. Add to that the anxiety and panic attacks that go with the hormone imbalance, and I had a major meltdown. I also developed fibromyalgia.

Like I said, be very sure before you have the partial. Research it for hours and then make your decision based on all the knowledge you have gained on the Internet....the facts your doctor does not tell you.

Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

I_Love_My_Dad HB User

My doctor did not tell me much at all about the procedure or what it affects, etc... He seemed so "rushed" after the sonogram. I feel like he just wants the $$$. I've been seeing him for 10 years and I hate to think like that, but I can't help it.
I feel kind of stupid now, but I didn't think my hormones would be affected if they left my ovaries, but from what you said, I guess they would be!
I decided today to just wait until I'm in pain and now after reading this I will definitely research some more!
Thank you Marilyn so much for that info.!

Julie

Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Julie, let me find you some info on the fibroids and the surgery. I'm so glad you aren't going to jump into this, because once your uterus is gone, it's GONE and there's nothing you can do but live with what you will have to go through. I'll get back to you on this thread. Just hang tight!

Trust me and others when they tell you that doctors leave ALOT of information out. I guess they figure we are sheep and should just blindly trust them to cut into our bodies. I don't think sooooo...........

Marilyn

Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

One more.....

http://www.nuff.org/health_ufHysterectomy.htm

I went to google and typed in .... "unnecessary fibroid surgery". Without the " marks!

Marilyn

Old 08-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

I love my dad,
This is my experience. In 2001 I had a hysterectomy and they did leave my ovaries also.I'm now 44 years old. Only 2 weeks ago I was told Iam in menapause.I have not experienced any side effects or problems from the procedure. I had mine done surgicaly through my stomach.Only because I have had 3c-sections. I spent 2or3 days in the hospital(dont remember)It really was not that bad.

Good Luck,

Sue

Old 08-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

I_Love_My_Dad HB User

Thank you, Marilyn for those web links! Such great information! I really appreciate your help.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:21 PM   #8

fear of surgery HB User

Dear "I Love My Dad:"

Because you are possibly having a hysterectomy, I thought I would tell you my story.

First, a "partial hysterectomy" does NOT include removing the cervix, which is attached to the top of the vagina. Is that what they have in mind for you?

Mine was a "total hysterectomy" and includes removing the cervix, but that still does not mean they take the ovaries out. They leave them, and the fallopian tubes, but take uterus/cervix.

I was 38 at time of surgery and this was 17 years ago. Nowadays there ARE fewer hysterectomies of every type and that's because they were known to be an easy moneymaker for doctors when they weren't always really necessary for a woman's health.

You need a second opinion, and even a third, before going ahead with this.

Now for the good part: I did NOT go into immediate menopause at all after the surgery. I had an ovarian cyst, too, and the cyst was removed but that's all.

I have NEVER taken any hormones, though it is my understanding, too, that the ovaries do not function quite as well once the uterus is gone. They DO function, however. I went through a natural menopause (except for the lack of crazy menstrual periods) with the hot flashes, migraines, you name it. This did not even begin to take place until I was over 45, a normal time for menopause.

I had the old fashioned abdominal surgery-type procedure and it was no big deal to me. Sure there was incisional pain from healing, but it wasn't ever bad and I enjoyed my six weeks off from work. These days you'd be lucky to get four weeks off from a conventional procedure, probably less from the vaginal route.

As for urinary tract problems -- Yes, unfortunately I have, but just in the past few years, AFTER age 50, had a number of bladder "irritations" -- not infections as there is never any bacteria. This is common in ANYONE post-menopausal, and especially in those who've had hysterectomy. It's not awful, however, and if I don't wear tight jeans, do drink enough water, and don't wait too long before urinating, I'm fine. Stress has a LOT to do with it too. For a few days of discomfort it's easy to take over the counter Pyridium; it comes in several brands: Uristat, AZO, and Prodium, all available at your local drugstore and as my doctor says, "it's good to keep some on hand." She has suffered the same problems so knows whereof she speaks.

If you truly need a hysterectomy I would not hesitate for one minute to recommend the procedure. I was VERY HAPPY and have never regretted the decision to go ahead with it. In fact, I have said many times that it was "the happiest day of my life."

Just research it, make sure you like your doctor(s) and then go for it if it seems the best answer for you.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Julie, here is an excellent website for ladies considering a hysto. There is information on hormones, presurgery and post surgery. Check out [url]www.*************.com[/url]
The support from the ladies is excellent. I know you will be pleasantly surprised.

Closed Thread