It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #1

jesdan HB User
Unhappy bleeding for a long time

Hi, i'm new here and so happy to have found this board I am 42 and think i am starting peri menopause.Hot flashes at night, fatigue, sore, swollen breast and now my period hasn't stopped in 2 1/2 weeks! about 2 months ago i had a very heavy period,one morning when I stood up the blood rolled down my leg, blood clots and heavy bleeding for 2 days, then lighter for about5 days.then no bleeding for 2 weeks before my period was back again...normal bleeding this time, although at times bright red, but it hasn't stopped!!!! I have had it for going on 3 weeks now.I'm a little scared, has this happened to any of you? Please let me know, I can't sleep worring about it, Thank-you

Old 08-14-2004, 12:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: bleeding for a long time

You need to get the book called "What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause", by Dr. John Lee. In the book he tells you how your hormones can be out of balance due to aging causing all sorts of irregularities to your body like your bleeding problem. He explains it thoroughly and tells you how to balance your hormones to correct problems by was of such things as diet, vitamins, exercise and sometimes natural progesterone depending upon what problems you have.

Perhaps your local library will have his book. I would also call my doctor, but definitely look into this book because it has so much good advice. So does the book by Anne Gittleman called "Before the Change". The one by Dr Lee explains better about your bleeding problem and what you should do to alleviate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 04:41 AM   #3

loveveron HB User

I did just like you starting at age 42. The doctor I first went to did an ultrasound, saw nothing then did a uterine biopsy. Uterus was a little thick{lining} then he started me on low dose birth control. THAT made the bleeding ALOT worse, plus made me have a blood clot in my leg. I stopped those pills, refused to take anymore. He had me coming in twice a month doing nothing! All this time bleeding getting worse, now EVERYDAY. This went on for a YEAR and a half! I was severely anemic, Hemoglobin stayed at 8 most of time, felt awful! I was passing clots the size of apples! Finally changed doctor, When I went in for first visit, new doctor told me I was about to deliver a FIBROID! Well, I had surgery that week she removed the fibroid, SIZE of a large apple, ANd I have been fine since, normal periods now at age 45.Get checked for fibroids is my advice and check hormone levels Dont waste as much time as I did suffering, change doctors if you have to. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #4

jesdan HB User

Thanks for all of your help. I just ordered the book by Dr Lee, it seems it is highly recommended by alot of women.Thanks for sharing with me.I think this board is a wonderful blessing to all women going thru the stages of menopause.Hope you all have a wonderful day.Thanks-again

Old 09-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #5

djewelch HB User

I am so glad to find this board! AT 46, I missed July totally and then in August/Sept...have had almost 4 weeks of periods! YUK. I got Dr. Lee's book, and the progestrone cream....I was wondering how long it might be before this helps the bleeding to stop! Yes, I am anxious. This is getting old, fast. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djewelch
I am so glad to find this board! AT 46, I missed July totally and then in August/Sept...have had almost 4 weeks of periods! YUK. I got Dr. Lee's book, and the progestrone cream....I was wondering how long it might be before this helps the bleeding to stop! Yes, I am anxious. This is getting old, fast. Any help would be appreciated.
It will take at least two months to really work through your body. Excessive bleeding is definitely caused either by low progesterone, high estrogen or fibroids or other uterine illnesses. So if you know you don't have the latter, it is definitely due to high estrogen dominance. It takes about 2 months to really see the effects of it, but if you are using enough and don't stop using it or you will spot or bleed again irregularly, then you should stop bleeding if this only due to estrogen dominance.

Andrea

Old 09-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #7

djewelch HB User

Thanks....I guess I should go to the dr...but have no insurance or $$ right now. I thought I'd try the cream first...can they rule out the latter things if I am bleeding when I am at the dr?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi DJWelch,
You can get natural progesterone pills on the internet. Just do a search on natural progesterone on your fav search engine. Although, sometimes progesterone creme works faster than 2 months to stop bleeding. I feel the effects of progesterone creme right away.

I was having a continual HEAVY bleeding from a large fibroid and my Dr. put me on progeserone pills.

I found that vitamin E increased my bleeding.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #9

djewelch HB User

Wow...I've been taking vitamin e at night....I'll try stopping that too. Thanks for all the info...didn't know they had progeserone pills!

Kim

Old 09-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #10

kmford1 HB User
Unhappy Re: bleeding for a long time

I am so glad that I have met someone who's going through what I'm going through. Except for 2 days off (I guess for good behavior), I have been bleeding for almost all of last month. To top it all off, for the past 2 days I have been passing blood clots of various sizes out of my uterus. Sizes are ranging from small to large. I'm a little nervous.

Even contacted my mom to find out what she went through. It seems that I am experiencing the same symptoms that my mom had when she was going through menopause.

If you find anything out, PLEASE let me know!

Kat

Old 09-21-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmford1
I am so glad that I have met someone who's going through what I'm going through. Except for 2 days off (I guess for good behavior), I have been bleeding for almost all of last month. To top it all off, for the past 2 days I have been passing blood clots of various sizes out of my uterus. Sizes are ranging from small to large. I'm a little nervous.

Even contacted my mom to find out what she went through. It seems that I am experiencing the same symptoms that my mom had when she was going through menopause.

If you find anything out, PLEASE let me know!

Kat
Hi Kat,
I am writing based on my sister's experience with long, heavy bleeding with clots the size of liver. She went thru this several years ago at which she said was everyday for three years. Yikes!! Well, now that she is closer to meno, she doesn't have it every month but when she does, it is always heavy.

Well, just this past week, she had it again but this time she ended up going to the hospital. Long story short, she ended up having a hysterectomy and had ovaries removed too (didn't have any fibroids or anything) and had to have two blood transfusions b/c of blood lost. She also had an infection which gave her a 103 temperature, which may be a different issue. What I am going to recommend to all the ladies out there who have heavy flooding periods is to make sure you don't lose too much blood - so if you think you're flooding too much, go to your dr. and make sure you don't have a low blood count.

Take care,
molly

Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

Hello. I started my period on Aug. 14th and it lasted till Aug 31st. I went to the Drs. that day, had a pap and complate physical, all was normal. Blood tests showed no menopause at this time. I started again yesterday Sept. 21st with terrible cramps, I was in bed by 8pm. Today I am all of a sudden so tired I can't stop yawning and I slept almost 10 hrs last night. This REALLY sucks. I have spoken to women that have bled for a full month straight. My new gynecologist told me as long as I am not saturating a pad an hour, not to worry, its just perimenopause. Good luck, Terry

Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1953
Hello. I started my period on Aug. 14th and it lasted till Aug 31st. I went to the Drs. that day, had a pap and complate physical, all was normal. Blood tests showed no menopause at this time. I started again yesterday Sept. 21st with terrible cramps, I was in bed by 8pm. Today I am all of a sudden so tired I can't stop yawning and I slept almost 10 hrs last night. This REALLY sucks. I have spoken to women that have bled for a full month straight. My new gynecologist told me as long as I am not saturating a pad an hour, not to worry, its just perimenopause. Good luck, Terry

That's right, it is just perimenopause. I know it's hard to ignore also.

Closed Thread