It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #1

dramaqueen01 HB User
Did Estrogen work for anyone?

Hello, I've been having horrible hot flashes. I get them every 20 to 30 minutes and they make it very hard to sleep at night. I had my uterus removed a few years ago but I still have ovaries so I will go through menopause. My Doctor prescribed a .5 mg estrogen pill, but it has done nothing to help with the symptoms after 3 weeks. Has anyone else been on ERT or HRT for perimenopause? And if so, how long before it helped with the symptoms?

C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Did Estrogen work for anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen01
Hello, I've been having horrible hot flashes. I get them every 20 to 30 minutes and they make it very hard to sleep at night. I had my uterus removed a few years ago but I still have ovaries so I will go through menopause. My Doctor prescribed a .5 mg estrogen pill, but it has done nothing to help with the symptoms after 3 weeks. Has anyone else been on ERT or HRT for perimenopause? And if so, how long before it helped with the symptoms?

C.

Dramaqueen I'm sorry to hear that your going through those horrible hot flashes. I have tried various HRT (pill, patch, cream), an I'm now using a low dose bcp. I think the estrogen patch worked well in eliminating hot flashes, I didn't get the same benefit with the pill. You might discuss increasing the estrogen pill with your doctor... you might then get better results, if not there are various other options.

Although I did experience hot flashes (and they can be quite annoying an embarassing in public) they really weren't an issue with me...but the mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue, spacey feeling, memory lapses (loses), irritability, irrational crying spells (to list just a few symptoms) were my major issues. Personally, I've found greater success in using the low dose bcp than I did with with the estrogen pill, patch, or creams. My sister is also going through perimenopause and she found relief by using Effexor. I mention this just to let you know that one woman's placebo is another's "happy pill". I really dislike this trial and error method to find "hormonal balance", but that seems to be the only way. Thank God for the women here who have helped eliminate alot of my anxiety in trying various methods.

I hope this info. is helpful and not confusing .

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-15-2004 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread