It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
falx seed

Anyone use flax seed? What exactly is it for and how do you eat it? I was in GNC so I bought a bag because I hear about it. I just need a little advise.
Thanks,
Jacq.

Old 08-15-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: falx seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
Anyone use flax seed? What exactly is it for and how do you eat it? I was in GNC so I bought a bag because I hear about it. I just need a little advise.
Thanks,
Jacq.

Jacq there is research being done on the use of flaxseed for everything from breast cancer to parkinson disease. I use it because it's loaded with omega-3's which is good for my cholesterol, it has lignans which acts as a phytoestrogen and antioxidant. Plus the benefits of the fiber in flaxseeds. You can add it to just about anything you eat. I prefer to mix it with my low carb. breakfast drink, but I've also sprinkled it on my salads.

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-15-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,
Jacq.
Flaxseed is very good for you. It also makes you "regular." I put 2 tbsp. of grounded flaxseed in my cereal, oatmeal, salads. I also use the flaxseed oil (put 1 tbsp.) in salads, pasta or whatever I'm eating (don't cook with it). I take one flaxseed oil pill sometimes too.

molly

Old 08-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

So does flax seed help lower cholesterol?
Jacq.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
So does flax seed help lower cholesterol?
Jacq.
Yeth!
Quote:
Its high content of alpha linolenic acids has made the ancient flax seed become our modern miracle food. Alpha linolenic acid is a type of omega 3 fatty acid, similar to those found in fish such as salmon. Benefits of flax seed as shown in many studies include lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) levels. Other benefits show that flax seed may also help lower blood triglyceride and blood pressure. It may also keep platelets from becoming sticky therefore reducing the chance of a heart attack.
My dad was able to cut his BP meds in half and discontinue his cholesterol meds all together by following the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. The FFP incorporates both flax seed and flax oil in the daily diet.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

So if you eat flax seed you can still take a flax seed oil pill? The flax seed I bought from GNC said to take one tablespoon daily. I have done that for 2 days now.
Thanks,
Jacq.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
So if you eat flax seed you can still take a flax seed oil pill? The flax seed I bought from GNC said to take one tablespoon daily. I have done that for 2 days now.
Thanks,
Jacq.

I've been taking flaxseed for quite some time...and my doc. was amazed at my low cholesterol. It was about 158 with the good cholesterol being 56. I believed the flaxseed, modified diet, and other supplements attributed to my low cholesterol. BTW I've take the grounded seeds, oil, and capsules. My preference is the grounded seeds.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:12 AM   #8

mtngrl57 HB User
Re: falx seed (How much is too much?)

In the Fat flush Plan she says you can take the flaxseed pill but in the long run it will cost more. She says you will have to take about 6 pills with each meal. I don't recall seeing how many mg. she is talking about taking. I have flaxseed pills and they are 1000 mg. each. How much is too much in a day?

My cholesteral is 175 and my good cholesteral is a little too low. Three years ago my cholesteral was 181. It has been 180 for 14 years before that.

I want to lose weight so bad! I take Lexapro, I stay active walking and working out in the yard. I just can not lose the weight! I get so frustrated and depressed when I get on the scales and nothing changes.

Any suggestions?
Mtngrl

Old 08-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: falx seed (How much is too much?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngrl57
In the Fat flush Plan she says you can take the flaxseed pill but in the long run it will cost more. She says you will have to take about 6 pills with each meal. I don't recall seeing how many mg. she is talking about taking. I have flaxseed pills and they are 1000 mg. each. How much is too much in a day?
Well, if you are following the Fat Flush Plan, you want the equivalent of 2 Tbsp FSO daily. In 1000mg FSO capsules, that translates to 6 per meal (total of 18 per day) that's a lotta capsules! And I think it's cheaper to buy the oil, in the long run. That said, though, I take FSO capsules when I'm traveling 'cause Flaxseed oil must be kept refrigerated and that's not always possible when you're on the road for extended periods (like a vacation! ).
Quote:
My cholesteral is 175 and my good cholesteral is a little too low. Three years ago my cholesteral was 181. It has been 180 for 14 years before that.
My cholesterol went down and my HDL went up (to 90!) so much that my medical provider was stunned. She said whatever it was I was doing - DON'T STOP!! LOL
Quote:
I want to lose weight so bad! I take Lexapro, I stay active walking and working out in the yard. I just can not lose the weight! I get so frustrated and depressed when I get on the scales and nothing changes.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried to follow the Fat Flush Plan?? It sure worked for me - and I'm highly skeptical by nature.

Last edited by csoar2004; 08-20-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #10
(female)

joyka HB User

What is best to grind up the seeds with?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyka
What is best to grind up the seeds with?
I used a coffee grinder...now I get flaxseed already grinded - much easier.

molly

Old 08-28-2004, 03:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Wow I would like to try this fat flush thing. How does it work. My cholestrol was 219 and my LDL was 151 that is really bad. I wonder if I am a walking heart attach. My triglicerides were in normal range. Linda M

Old 08-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linma2428
Wow I would like to try this fat flush thing. How does it work. My cholestrol was 219 and my LDL was 151 that is really bad. I wonder if I am a walking heart attach. My triglicerides were in normal range. Linda M
Hi Linda
Get your hands on the Fat Flush book - I'm sure your library has a copy if you don't want to buy one. I originally started FFP purely as an exercise to get rid of my cellulite 'cause I didn't think ANY diet would help me lose weight (too many failed diets in my past ).

Imagine my delight to find the cellulite leaving AND the weight, too!

I also had the dope slap moment....you know...the when where you realize that dieting temporarily - with the intention of returning to old food habits/lifestyle - is a recipe for failure. If you want to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF- you MUST change your lifestyle (afterall, it's that very lifestyle which is responsible for your fat - medical reasons notwithstanding).

Anyhoo, suffice to say that I reached my goal weight over a year ago and I've had no problem maintaining my weight loss. The really REALLY cool thing is, even after reaching goal weight, the FFP has continued to carve off the inches! I started the maintenance phase as a size 10 and now I'm a size 6!! (I'm 5'8", by the way)
<woohooo!! happy dancin, I tell you what!>

PS. My cholesterol came way down and my HDL (the good stuff) is 90!! My medical provider was pleasantly shocked and told me to keep doing whatever it was I was doing!)

best wishes

Last edited by csoar2004; 08-28-2004 at 08:32 AM.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #14

mtngrl57 HB User

I have been mixing the Flax seed in the morning in the cran water, as the Fat Flush book says to do but I get sick to my stomach when I drink it like that in the morning. Has anyone else Had this problem?
Thanks
Mtngrl

Old 08-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngrl57
I have been mixing the Flax seed in the morning in the cran water, as the Fat Flush book says to do but I get sick to my stomach when I drink it like that in the morning. Has anyone else Had this problem?
First let me confirm a couple things:
1) your cranwater is 8 oz unsweetened cranberry JUICE to 56 oz water, correct? (mixing the cranwater too strongly gives some folks problems)
2) you are using coarsely ground flax seed and NOT flax seed meal, yes?
Question: and...this nausea is not a problem when you have your evening LLC?

Assuming your answers to the above are "yep!" then try this...heat the cranwater and add dash of cinnamon, ground ginger and a little steviaplus. Pour just enough hot cranwater over your Tbsp of ground flax seed to cover. Let stand. This softens the flaxseeds and you can eat them like cereal, after drinking the "tea". (not only that, but ginger is good for a tender tummy ).

Alternately, you can make a super smoothie breakfast by mixing the following in your blender:
1 serving whey protein
1 cup frozen P1 fruit
1 cup cranwater
1Tbsp ground flax seed
1 Tbsp flax seed oil
dash of cinnamon
stevia plus to taste
blend the dickens outta everything and VOILA! breakfast and LLC in one! (sometimes, having protein will help slow down the digestion and eases nausea.)
Hope this helps!

Closed Thread