It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
bioidentical hormones

Well I have an appt with a doctor in two weeks. He is suppose to know about bioidentical hormones. Has anyone tried them and did they help? I am 48 and feel like I need something to help with different symptoms. Linda

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linma2428 For This Useful Post:
Dovesm (08-03-2011)
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
Re: bioidentical hormones

Are you going to see this doctor in the New York City area by any chance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

No I am in florida and will see him in Tampa area. Why do you ask? Linda

Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

Because I am currently self-medicating myself with natural prgesterone creme and would like to be watched over by a MD who understands my issues for using it and has training in natral HRT and has no problem prescribing the stuff via a componding pharmacy should they feel I need to be balanced.

It's harder than you can ever imagine looking for someone like this; and still staying within my insurance plan. All the HIGH END doctors who are now writing books on the topic do not take insurance and cost $500 aand up for a visit.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of these doctors but I want to make sure they are good and will listen and I won't waste MY time. A few months ago I went to a GYNO who believed in and prescribed natural NRT and she was terrible. Didn't believe in perimenopause and that my hormones may be out of sync and she kept referring me to her in-office nutritionist for my issues.

I need referrals from others who have had possitive experiences with doctors - in my area of course.

Good luck with your visit.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Doctors who don't believe in perimenopause need to experience it first hand in my opinion. You know, with all the lovely symptoms.
Jacq.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I live in Los Angeles. I have a friend who has been on bioidential hormones for a few months now and she feels great. She tells me that she feels like her old self again- alive and happy. Her sexual desires which diminished with menopause have come back and she said that physically she is lubricated now and feels like she is regenerating! She did several saliva testes to determine her hormones and then had a doctor make up and precribe the bioidential hormones in a cream which she rubs on. I see the difference in her skin ( so does she- it was so dry and getting wrinkled) also she is a pleasure to be around now- something she was not before. She does not have a lot of money and found a doctor who is willing to work with her.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #7

doremela HB User

Linda,

I'm on Bioidenical hormones and it really works! I take a rub on cream and its 1500mg. for a 2 oz. jar. You will need this strength trust me, to work on the hot flashes if you have them. You will experience relief in the end of the 1st month with mood swings, maybe sleep disorders into the 2nd month I started to really notice the change more so. 3rd month worked on my hot flashes.
If you do the cream. Make sure you use it daily! and when you go through some tense situations throughout the day rub more on to supplement your lack of progesterone. You will see it works!
go to [ removed ] that's how I learned about the cream.

You'll see,
Darlene

Last edited by moderator2; 08-19-2004 at 12:42 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites, use brand names only.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

HI Elda, I hope you find help and a doctor that knows what he is doing.

Jacqbu It would be nice if the doctors had first hand experience with perimenopause.

Thanks Dormela and Armidillo Pie, I hope I am not putting to much hope in bioidenticals. I keep thinking I will go and put out the time and money and then be disappointed. I think alot has to do with getting the right doctor. I would love to not be so mean everyone seems so dumb and creepy to me LOL. I know that is a rotten way to think. I would give anything to sleep better. I get hot flashes in my sleep but not so much during the day. I just feel generally hot during the day.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linma2428
Well I have an appt with a doctor in two weeks. He is suppose to know about bioidentical hormones. Has anyone tried them and did they help? I am 48 and feel like I need something to help with different symptoms. Linda
This is good. I have not used the biodentical estrogen but did try the progesterone at one time but it made me way too crazy! I use Natragest natural progesterone creme and that helps alot. Explain some of your symptoms to us, we'd love to hear and comment on them. It will make you feel better the more you vent and the more you accept.

Andrea

Old 08-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elda
Because I am currently self-medicating myself with natural prgesterone creme and would like to be watched over by a MD who understands my issues for using it and has training in natral HRT and has no problem prescribing the stuff via a componding pharmacy should they feel I need to be balanced.

It's harder than you can ever imagine looking for someone like this; and still staying within my insurance plan. All the HIGH END doctors who are now writing books on the topic do not take insurance and cost $500 aand up for a visit.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of these doctors but I want to make sure they are good and will listen and I won't waste MY time. A few months ago I went to a GYNO who believed in and prescribed natural NRT and she was terrible. Didn't believe in perimenopause and that my hormones may be out of sync and she kept referring me to her in-office nutritionist for my issues.

I need referrals from others who have had possitive experiences with doctors - in my area of course.

Good luck with your visit.
You are not lieing here sweetheart! My gyne said she'd put something together for me, but I just wonder if she would know really how to do it since she said she never did it before, LOL At least she wants to cooperate. But that's no lie about cash only when you want to see someone who specialized in biodentical hormones. You might want to try a Chiropracter who specializes this way and see if your insurance will cover it, but then when you take the natural stuff, well, that's probably going to be cash out of your pocket too.

Andrea

Old 08-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi Andrea, My main problem at the moment is a feeling of sadness. It just doesn't lift. I also feel mean and like I have PMS all the time. I look at my husband and he doesn't seem a nice looking as he use to and even my sons bug me. I am usually a nice person to most people especially friends. I just find myself thinking I don't really care if they ever speak to me again. It could be just a mental problem I am having or something and hormones won't help. I am just going to tell the doctor and see what he thinks. I hope he can help me before I run everyone off and then regret it. I have insomnia and hot flashes mainly when I am sleeping are my main physical symptoms. thanks linda

Old 08-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #12

PennyD HB User

You should try an endocrinologist. They specialize in the body's endocrine(hormone) system. That is the type of doc I am using , she is also a gyn. She is the one who prescribed the bio-identical natural progesterone cream for me. It is made by a compounding pharmacist in my area. He makes it with the Mexican Wild Yam and it is micronized, the only kind you want to use. Be aware that this type of natural progesterone is given in a pharmaceutical dose which is much much stronger than the OTC natural progesterone creams, they are a physiological dose. You definetly want supervision from a doc who knows w hat she/he is doing when it comes to the bio-identical hormones.
Penny

Old 08-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Andrea, My main problem at the moment is a feeling of sadness. It just doesn't lift. I also feel mean and like I have PMS all the time. I look at my husband and he doesn't seem a nice looking as he use to and even my sons bug me. I am usually a nice person to most people especially friends. I just find myself thinking I don't really care if they ever speak to me again. It could be just a mental problem I am having or something and hormones won't help. I am just going to tell the doctor and see what he thinks. I hope he can help me before I run everyone off and then regret it. I have insomnia and hot flashes mainly when I am sleeping are my main physical symptoms. thanks linda
Linda, so menopausal. Yes, you will go through these rages, both emotional and mentally. When they happen, try to deep breathe and tell yourself to relax. Also tell yourself that it is only your hormones speaking and they will not control me mentally or emotionally nor my body and try looking at your son and husband in a ray of light and make peace with it. Just try it, it's hard, I know. And hot flashes bring on a storm of hormonal rages! This is why I'm telling you to practice relaxation, get a nice self-hypnosis cd and listen to it upon sleeping and let yourself just drift. Are you trying any herbs for the hot flashes or soy?

Andrea

Old 08-23-2004, 01:20 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi Andrea, I am taking Vitamin E. I was told that would help. C, E, Fish Oil, mag and calcium also the mag bothers my stomach. I tried soy milk and can't take it. I guess if I drank it long enough I might be able to handle it. I think I have the desire to run everyone away from me. Or t run away from home. If you can call it that at my age. And then if I was forced in to being alone and I made it ok I could stop fearing people are going to reject me when I am a mean spirited. How this is tied in with hormones I am not sure. Maybe it isn't. My youngest son moved out this weekend and I have cried for 2 days. Which isn't really hard for me to do even on normal days. I am disabled due to inner ear disease so I really have no business being mean to anyone as it would be difficult to live alone. I hope this doctor on Friday gives me some answers and doesn't just tell me to see a shrink. LindaM

Last edited by Linma2428; 08-23-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
(female)

mamadukes HB User

Quote:
Hello
I am looking for an endo. also Are you in the la area and if so would you give me the name of the doc your going to see? I would also like feedback from Armadillo Pie whose sister is seeing a doc. Who is he and where can I find him/her?
Thank-you so much
Mamadukes

Closed Thread