It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 12:40 AM   #1

seawater HB User
Cold Flashes

Any clue? Feel like I have been dropped in a bath of ice water.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Cold Flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawater
Any clue? Feel like I have been dropped in a bath of ice water.
How old are you? Are you in perimenopause or menopause or post menopause? I use to get horrible cold flashes. I still get them occasionally, especially after a hot flash or just a warm flash. Do you have a thyroid problem? Hypothyroid can cause this. My girlfriend gets like this, she's turning on the heat in the middle of the summer, LOL She never gets hot flashes, just cold flashes and her thyroid is fine.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #3

seawater HB User

I am 45. And I would guess that I am approaching menopause. I donít know what the symptoms of a thyroid problem are. But I do turn up the heat in the summer.

These cold flashes are sure creepy. Itís like someoneís walking over my grave all the time.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawater
I am 45. And I would guess that I am approaching menopause. I donít know what the symptoms of a thyroid problem are. But I do turn up the heat in the summer.

These cold flashes are sure creepy. Itís like someoneís walking over my grave all the time.

Yes, they are sure creepy. And the hot flashes are too. Thyroid symptoms can be very similar to perimenopause symptoms, that is why a thyroid test is conducted before a perimenopause diagnose is made.

Andrea
PS turning up the heat in the summer so reminds me of my girlfriend, LOL

Old 08-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Seawater, those cold chills were one of my first noticeable signs of hormonal imbalance. This started a couple years after I gave birth to my last child. I must have been about 35 years old (I'm now almost 44). I noticed that the week before, and during my period, I'd have these horrible chills...Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall I'd freeze as if I was sitting on a block of ice. It seem to be worst in the middle of the night. In the middle of summer with temps. around 100 I'd have on a sweat pants and sweat shirt. While my hubby was sleeping on top of the sheets I was under 3 comforters shivering.

This stopped for awhile...when I was using a hormone patch. It has since returned since I switched to a bcp. Thank God that it only occurs the week before my period starts and isn't as prolong as in previous years.

I've had a multitude of blood work done and everything came back negative...so thyroid problems have been ruled out.

I fully understand about those down to the bone chills.

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-21-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

I have had them too and they are CREEPY! I thought I was dying! I need to keep my bloodsugar up. I have to eat. When i was younger, I skipped meals All the time. In my 40s, I cant! I dont want to have to eat all the time but I have to.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #7

seawater HB User

Thank you all for your input! I guess that I am not alone. That's very comforting to know.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
I have had them too and they are CREEPY! I thought I was dying! I need to keep my bloodsugar up. I have to eat. When i was younger, I skipped meals All the time. In my 40s, I cant! I dont want to have to eat all the time but I have to.
Oh, you are so right here! I have to eat all the time too. My God, I use to be able to go without eating, but during perimenopause, even though my sugar is normal, it takes no time to feel hypoglycemic and look out from there. Yes, better to eat five small meals a day and even a banana or snack before bed to help the blood sugar in the morning. This is coming from the adrenaline surge what we also call the power surge in perimenopause. By the way, I'm 45, almost 46, guess it's time for the wake up call.

Andrea

Old 08-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #9

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Oh, you are so right here! I have to eat all the time too. My God, I use to be able to go without eating, but during perimenopause, even though my sugar is normal, it takes no time to feel hypoglycemic and look out from there. Yes, better to eat five small meals a day and even a banana or snack before bed to help the blood sugar in the morning. This is coming from the adrenaline surge what we also call the power surge in perimenopause. By the way, I'm 45, almost 46, guess it's time for the wake up call.

Andrea
The temp here today on the Alabama Gulf Coast is 90+, I am sitting at my computer with a a light fleece jacket and socks on! LOL Not to mention long thick cotton pants! These cold flashes, and that is what they are called by docs who know what they are, began for me one year ago this month. They came out of no where. I notice when I am cold like this my body temp ranges from 97.6 to 98.2. It is so strange. They are better since I have been on the bio-identical natural progesterone cream. Last August I was in sweat pants, a tee and a sweat shirt over that and TWO pair of socks!! As I have said many times this peri this is so unbelievable! Heres to warmer days-----
Penny

Old 08-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

speaking of power surges those are creepy too! does anyone get them in their sleep? I will be sound asleep and pop up swearing that i am dying. The I realize it is an adrenaline surge and I am not dying but I need to calm down. I go back to sleep fine, but I sure hate them. They scare me! I ussally have a carb snack around 9pm, like a bowl of cereal. Maybe I need to go to a protien snack. what would be a good protien snack in your opinion? right now I have the internal jitters, yea!

Old 08-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
speaking of power surges those are creepy too! does anyone get them in their sleep? I will be sound asleep and pop up swearing that i am dying. The I realize it is an adrenaline surge and I am not dying but I need to calm down. I go back to sleep fine, but I sure hate them. They scare me! I ussally have a carb snack around 9pm, like a bowl of cereal. Maybe I need to go to a protien snack. what would be a good protien snack in your opinion? right now I have the internal jitters, yea!

Try a banana. It will give you some of the natural relaxation ingredients that you need and help the power surge early in the mornings such as 3:00am or so when Cortisol is the highest. Try some magnesium to at night before bed, but be careful of the one you choose cause if you do too much at one time it might give you diarrhea. Hope this helps. But I find progesterone creme (natural) to be one of the best sleep aids at night. Why? Cause your adrenaline glands produce estrogen, testerone and progestserone and kick in during perimenopause big time cause your ovaries are shutting down and you are not ovulating like you use to, so therefore other glands in the body are trying to make up for the loss of hormone, this is one of the biggest reasons you have anxiety. I do to. Also, there are deep breathes to take from the navel, make sure your chest doesnt' move, and then tell yourself "relax". Work on this a bit, it will take a bit to work. The other thing, don't fight your anxiety, just flow through it, especially panic attacks cause if you fight them, then you are creating adrenaline over adrenaline and this will make you feel worse. Chat with me anytime.

Andrea

Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
The temp here today on the Alabama Gulf Coast is 90+, I am sitting at my computer with a a light fleece jacket and socks on! LOL Not to mention long thick cotton pants! These cold flashes, and that is what they are called by docs who know what they are, began for me one year ago this month. They came out of no where. I notice when I am cold like this my body temp ranges from 97.6 to 98.2. It is so strange. They are better since I have been on the bio-identical natural progesterone cream. Last August I was in sweat pants, a tee and a sweat shirt over that and TWO pair of socks!! As I have said many times this peri this is so unbelievable! Heres to warmer days-----
Penny
98.2 is great, lower is not, probably means you are not getting enough progesterone creme and also thyroid is acting up due to estrogen loss. I hate the cold flashes too, also the hot flashes, but I think the cold flashes are the worst cause you just can't seem to get warm even with blasting heat, at least with a hot flash, you can blast the fan, turn on the air or go and sit in the freezer, LOL
Maybe you might want to discuss the progesterone dose again with doc. But remember, too much will make you sleepy, maybe depressed. Glad to know you take an anxiety drug when you need it, not that I push drugs, I don't, but if you are not taking an herb naturally for anxiety, the next best thing would be a drug, cause sometimes that anxiety is hard to fight off and we are already going through hell, why send ourselves even further there.

Andrea

Old 08-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #13

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
98.2 is great, lower is not, probably means you are not getting enough progesterone creme and also thyroid is acting up due to estrogen loss. I hate the cold flashes too, also the hot flashes, but I think the cold flashes are the worst cause you just can't seem to get warm even with blasting heat, at least with a hot flash, you can blast the fan, turn on the air or go and sit in the freezer, LOL
Maybe you might want to discuss the progesterone dose again with doc. But remember, too much will make you sleepy, maybe depressed. Glad to know you take an anxiety drug when you need it, not that I push drugs, I don't, but if you are not taking an herb naturally for anxiety, the next best thing would be a drug, cause sometimes that anxiety is hard to fight off and we are already going through hell, why send ourselves even further there.

Andrea
Actually my FSH went up from one test to the next. So I don't know what to think about the estrogen level! I did not want to use the meds, but I could not function and was left with no choice. Hope you are feeling ok today.
Penny

Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[
Quote:
QUOTE=pslam 91]speaking of power surges those are creepy too! does anyone get them in their sleep? I will be sound asleep and pop up swearing that i am dying. The I realize it is an adrenaline surge and I am not dying but I need to calm down. I go back to sleep fine, but I sure hate them. They scare me! I ussally have a carb snack around 9pm, like a bowl of cereal. Maybe I need to go to a protien snack. what would be a good protien snack in your opinion? right now I have the internal jitters, yea!
[/QUOTE]

Pslam,
Is that what's they're called - power surges? What you described brought back memories! I guess that's what I used to have too. It happened to me quite a bit - in the middle of the night - very intense, very scary. My whole body felt this constant internal shaking, jitters...lasted for 4-6 hours and even taking an anti-anxiety pill didn't help it that much. I recommend what Andrea described in her post ..the deep breathing and trying to relax and not fighting the anxiety. I think when I started taking Mag faithfully and consistently every day (1,000mg), it must have helped. My heart goes out to you if you're still experiencing these...I don't wish them on anyone!!

A good protein snack that I take regularly is revival soy - I make a shake with water or soymilk, ice, and banana and it comes in tasty bars too.

molly

Old 08-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #15
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Molly, What i am talking about is an adrenaline surge in my sleep that wakes me up. My heart is racing, etc. I get the internal jitters on and off. they are irritating too. I think I get the internal jetters closer to my cycle. I cant wait till the week is over and I can get back to my progesterone cream. I feel calmer using it. Are you done with peri Molly? I am only 43, so I have a ways to go, according to my DR.

Closed Thread