It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

georgiehopper HB User
Is This the Start of Menopause or What?

I'm 46 so I guess its about time for things to change....but up until today my periods have been regular like clock work.

Then 2 days ago I noticed I was getting some dull cramps but I just blew it off because my period wasnt due for another two weeks...

..well I woke up last night with fullblown cramps and my period had started and today I'm tired and achy and having all the typical period symptoms.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end or is my cycle messed up because of stress. I have been exercisng and dieting alot.

The doctor said to contact her once my periods were coming every three weeks so I'm wondering if i should contact her now or just wait until next month and see what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Is This the Start of Menopause or What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiehopper
I'm 46 so I guess its about time for things to change....but up until today my periods have been regular like clock work.

Then 2 days ago I noticed I was getting some dull cramps but I just blew it off because my period wasnt due for another two weeks...

..well I woke up last night with fullblown cramps and my period had started and today I'm tired and achy and having all the typical period symptoms.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end or is my cycle messed up because of stress. I have been exercisng and dieting alot.

The doctor said to contact her once my periods were coming every three weeks so I'm wondering if i should contact her now or just wait until next month and see what happens.
Hi. Sounds like the beginning of perimenopause, but I'm sure you've been it, you're just one of the lucky ones who has bypassed or ignored many of her serious body/mind delimas. Anyways, I would wait until another period, watch them, time them etc. The only thing your gyne will do is offer you b/c pill or other hormone treatments. That would be up to you. I'd hang in there if you don't have any other major symptoms like alot of us on the board do, one of them anxiety or panic attacks, those are real doozies and then we'll either get a hot flash, cold flash or adrenaline surge. Anyways, if you are feeling good, but only bad with your periods, you are headed the right direction.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

georgiehopper HB User

actually I do have trouble with anxiety but take zoloft for it and it has helped tremendously...I didnt even consider the anxiety part of peri because I have a history of anxiety and panic.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I agree with Andrea. I would wait for awhile because you can go on like this for several months and then everything can go back to normal for awhile before it starts up again. For me, I did this for about 4 years. Then I got most of the nasty symptoms. If and when you get those, ( some never do) you might want to do something about it then.

What you are starting is very normal for women going through peri. You may just want to keep a journal with what you daily periods are like and then when you go to the dr. he/she will have a better understanding of where you are in the process.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
(female)

georgiehopper HB User

If I'm going to have 2 periods a month do I have to worry about becoming anemic? I already see a dietician regularly so I know my diet is good, I take a multivitamin and eat soy products....should I do anything else? I exercise alot too..

Old 08-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
actually I do have trouble with anxiety but take zoloft for it and it has helped tremendously...I didnt even consider the anxiety part of peri because I have a history of anxiety and panic.
I know Georgie. I was just reading something the other day that a Dr. of Gyne wrote, saying 90% of women feel perimenopause and have a hard time with it one way or another and 10% float through it with no problem.
Now, anxiety definitely comes with peri, but if you've had anxiety all of your life, then well...welcome to perimenopause.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
If I'm going to have 2 periods a month do I have to worry about becoming anemic? I already see a dietician regularly so I know my diet is good, I take a multivitamin and eat soy products....should I do anything else? I exercise alot too..
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are bleeding heavily. Otherwise, if your multi has iron in it, you should be okay. Otherwise, you could increase foods that contain iron along with your multi. YOu don't want to overdo the iron, can make you very sick and very constipated. Now, you may not have 2 periods a month all the time.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool Re: Is This the Start of Menopause or What?

Hi Everybody
I'm curious about this perimenopause thing. What's it all about & what happens? I'm 49 so I suppose there should be some sort of changes going on but I can't say there's anything different happening to me - what are the symptoms of perimenopause?

Thanks.
Lidia

Old 08-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidiajamjar
Hi Everybody
I'm curious about this perimenopause thing. What's it all about & what happens? I'm 49 so I suppose there should be some sort of changes going on but I can't say there's anything different happening to me - what are the symptoms of perimenopause?

Thanks.
Lidia
Lidia, if you dont' feel a thing, God Bless You! Don't look for the signs of perimenopause, that's my suggestion. You don't want to put any ideas in your head. If you feel good right now at age 49, then by all means keep it going.

Andrea

Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I agree. I didn't have any symptoms at age 49. I thought, at that time, that it would be a breeze to go through meno. At the age of 53, my periods became a little irregular and I had hot flashes but I could deal with them. The night sweats were a little harder to deal with. At age 55, all hell broke loose. Irritable bladder, bowel, aches and pains and just about every symptom on the list. Then anxiety set in. I am now 57 and most of the other symptoms poke their nasty heads every once in awhile. The anxiety remains full blown and I have not had a period for 15 months, although I always feel like one is just around the corner.

Enjoy yourself. Everyone is different. You may just stop and not notice a thing. Some do and some go through my experience. It helps to check in here if something does creep up, maybe you can control your anxiety before it gets out of hand. I wish I did.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I agree. I didn't have any symptoms at age 49. I thought, at that time, that it would be a breeze to go through meno. At the age of 53, my periods became a little irregular and I had hot flashes but I could deal with them. The night sweats were a little harder to deal with. At age 55, all hell broke loose. Irritable bladder, bowel, aches and pains and just about every symptom on the list. Then anxiety set in. I am now 57 and most of the other symptoms poke their nasty heads every once in awhile. The anxiety remains full blown and I have not had a period for 15 months, although I always feel like one is just around the corner.

Enjoy yourself. Everyone is different. You may just stop and not notice a thing. Some do and some go through my experience. It helps to check in here if something does creep up, maybe you can control your anxiety before it gets out of hand. I wish I did.

Hey Twanger! Yes, that anxiety is something else isn't it. I get it real bad right before my period with hot flashes an dthen hot flashes through the first two days and then Ihave no period left. What's bothers you the most about the anxiety, the hot flashes, racing heart, nervousness, what?

Andrea

Closed Thread