It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #1

susan62 HB User
Terrible Leg Pain

My legs ache all over. any one else have this? and if so what will relieve this. It is an all over ache rest doesnt seem to help nor pain relievers some times its almost like they dont want to move any help would be appreciated Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Terrible Leg Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan62
My legs ache all over. any one else have this? and if so what will relieve this. It is an all over ache rest doesnt seem to help nor pain relievers some times its almost like they dont want to move any help would be appreciated Susan

I get this and I know three other people who get this too. I also have a diffused disk in my back. You might want to take an MRI of your back just to make sure you don't have a bulging or herniated disk, generally this affects the legs. Also, are you retaining water? But it's not unusual to get this leg achey thing during your cycle or right before your period. ARe you close to your period?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #3

susan62 HB User

I have had a hysterectomy but according to the Dr's I should still have a cycle since I have my ovary's. Yes there is some swelling or puffiness in the bottom of my legs.Just when one thing gets better another symptom appears Any thoughts?This is the 3rd day in a row Do you think its what is called an anovulatory cycle (I think this is mispelled ) I cant seem to spell even the simplest of words any more. Susan

Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I have had a hysterectomy but according to the Dr's I should still have a cycle since I have my ovary's. Yes there is some swelling or puffiness in the bottom of my legs.Just when one thing gets better another symptom appears Any thoughts?This is the 3rd day in a row Do you think its what is called an anovulatory cycle (I think this is mispelled ) I cant seem to spell even the simplest of words any more. Susan
Hi Susan. Even with your ovaries, you are still producing hormone. But yes, you are in menopause cause hysterectomy's take you there automatically. I know about all those lovely symptoms. And how about the brain fog? Horrible! Most of the time, I can't remember what I did the moment before. Ugg! It's like Alzheimers, LOL I doubt it's an anovulatory cycle. You are just going through the menopause phase. There are plenty of books on this and if I were you, I'd read them so that you can fully understand why you are feeling as you are. I do this alot cause I've just had it at times. Just really had it. And the anxiety and power surges (adrenaline surges) ! Stay in touch.

Andrea

Old 08-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #5

susan62 HB User

Ithank you dearly for your reply.Are you sure I,m in meno Dr says not neccesarily so I dont know what to beleive.hysto was 12 years ago I am now 42. have thought for years I was nuts cos dr's told me not meno since I had ovaries and was way too young ,but I read after apartial it reduces the blood flow to the ovaries cosing them to shut down early.Oh well they kept me coming for years til I gave up. Now they say take premarin,I know the effects, it has helped some tho at one time I had a hot flash or more like drenching that lasted 6 hours I am scared noy to take them now for fear of that happening again,I probably would of lost it had I not found this sight by chance.
Thanks for all responses Its a trying time,SUSAN

Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
Hi Susan62,

I just got my period a couple of days ago, and my legs and lower back feel very achy also. It's not as bad as last month though. May be the pilates I added a few weeks ago have helped with that. Didn't even need any ibuprovin (spelling???) this month. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:10 PM   #7

susan62 HB User

How long should I wait before seeing a Dr about this?

Old 09-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #8
(female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
How long should I wait before seeing a Dr about this?
Susan, to rule out other things, see a doctor whenever you are up to it. I saw my doctor about all those leg and muscles pains. He ran some tests for muscle disorders and diseases but could not find anything. I finally had to accept it as being part of peri. Wishing you all the best.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here's what was told to me by my doc and other docs Iknow. Whether you had a hysto or not, when you reach your forties, it's all biological anyways. So whether or not you had a hysto, you might then be forced into meno, but then when you reach your forties and then fifties, well biologically you will be going through the symptoms both physically and mentally/emotionally.

Andrea

Old 09-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #10

susan62 HB User

So I guess I am there just keep wondering if its some thing else as symptoms go along with so many other things.
Thank you Susan

Old 09-03-2004, 01:26 PM   #11

Z'sMom HB User

Susan - While I'm in the learning phase about meno, I do know a lot about leg pain. Is this overall pain or centered on the joints? Is it more likely to occur at night? Does it feel like pressure (from swelling) or muscular (more like a cramp)?

If you are swelling, reducing the amount of salt in your diet is a good thing at any age. You can also achieve some degree of relief from stretching your legs before you arise from any sitting/reclining position. Elevating your legs (lay quietly on your bed without pillows and put feet on headboard) with your legs as straight as possible will also help with circulation & swelling issues.

If it's more joint/ligament/muscular in nature, glucosamene is a wonderful product. There are chewable formulas that are actually rather pleasant and the dosage doesn't have to be high to have an effect. Most people see an increase in mobility or ease of movement within 5-7 days, although it may take up to 2 weeks depending on your situation. This often works with folks who do not see any particular relief from anti-inflamatories like Advil or ibuprofen.

Lastly, wearing supportive garments can help with inflamation or swelling. There are some that have a "massaging" effect which is really pressure to help pressure the excess fluid (swelling) back into the body where it can be dealt with as normal.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #12

susan62 HB User

Its really more of a constant ache than pain most of the time it doesnt appear to be swollen Thanks for all your help and I will try elevating my legs. Susan

Old 09-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #13

Z'sMom HB User

Are you sure you're getting enough potassium? Also, have you had any issues with damage to nerves (accident, surgery)?

If the elevation doesn't help too much, look at circulation stimulation exercises. If you can't find any, let me know and I'll forward some on to you ... they are basically stretches that help to increase blood flow in certain areas of the body. I use them daily to cope with arthritis in my knees and lower back.

Try the elevation, start trying for at least 10 minutes a night.

Closed Thread