It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User
Question Pre~Menopause? Help!!

Hi...I am new to the boards. I am very worried. let me explain what's going on...

I started my periods at age 13 1/2. They have been as regular as clockwork. I always had it 6 to 7 days, heavy, and cramps most times. By the way I am 50 as of last December. Last Sept. I was 15 days late. Then my periods were coming anywhere from every 21 days to 31 days. Two weeks ago today I started for this month, I was 8 days late, it started with spotting (brown color) for 2 or 3 days, like a delay in actual starting. Then it proceeded normally. For the past week, its been again just the brown color, but I have been constipated, so in the morning when I have strained a little, bright red blood comes out like the 2nd day of a normal cycle. Then a couple hours later, its back to the very slight brown color, enough to wear a pad. This has happened the past 5 days. Could the straining be pushing the blood out? Should I be concerned about my period lasting 2+ weeks? I called my dr. last week, and they scheduled a pap (which I am due for) for tomorrow, I called to cancel but the doc wants to see me, should I be worried??? Thanks
One other thing, is it possible for a hot flash to last a few hrs??

Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Pre~Menopause? Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1953
Hi...I am new to the boards. I am very worried. let me explain what's going on...

I started my periods at age 13 1/2. They have been as regular as clockwork. I always had it 6 to 7 days, heavy, and cramps most times. By the way I am 50 as of last December. Last Sept. I was 15 days late. Then my periods were coming anywhere from every 21 days to 31 days. Two weeks ago today I started for this month, I was 8 days late, it started with spotting (brown color) for 2 or 3 days, like a delay in actual starting. Then it proceeded normally. For the past week, its been again just the brown color, but I have been constipated, so in the morning when I have strained a little, bright red blood comes out like the 2nd day of a normal cycle. Then a couple hours later, its back to the very slight brown color, enough to wear a pad. This has happened the past 5 days. Could the straining be pushing the blood out? Should I be concerned about my period lasting 2+ weeks? I called my dr. last week, and they scheduled a pap (which I am due for) for tomorrow, I called to cancel but the doc wants to see me, should I be worried??? Thanks
One other thing, is it possible for a hot flash to last a few hrs??

Yes, Yes, and Yes! LOL! Welcome to perimenopause! And you're right on schedule as to eventually enter menopause. It's totally normal to have brown color and then red, then orange, etc. I went through this 4 months ago and it drove me nuts. I saw my gyne, she did the biopsy which I might sugest for you also besides a pap smear. This will check to see if anything irregular is happening such as cancer, etc. It will also tell your doctor is your ovaries have shut down, but I'm sure they have at least 80% if not more at your age. And yes, it is so possible to have hot flashes to last a few hours. Especially in the beginning, when you are not use to them. I was having hot flashes day in and day out all the way through the evening. I even have hot flashes during my lovely two day period and beforehand, I may add. So welcome to perimenopause...officially, LOL

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

Thank you Andrea. So having this period for 2 weeks now is definately normal for perimenopause? I am nervous about the dr. tomorrow because I'm not too kicked up on being examined while I'm bleeding. I am so worried that he wants to see me. I am generally extremely healthy and have had this doc for 20+ years and think the world of him, but I'm still scared he may find something. Wish me luck and thank you for the welcome. Terry

Old 08-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thank you Andrea. So having this period for 2 weeks now is definately normal for perimenopause? I am nervous about the dr. tomorrow because I'm not too kicked up on being examined while I'm bleeding. I am so worried that he wants to see me. I am generally extremely healthy and have had this doc for 20+ years and think the world of him, but I'm still scared he may find something. Wish me luck and thank you for the welcome. Terry
Well it can be so perimenopause, and it's time you showed the signs. But your doc, if he is good, will want to to a biopsy which is nothing and a pap smear just to see if you are okay.

Andrea

Old 08-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

heitara HB User

Hello Terry and welcome to this site!
Don't worry, I think your doc is being very thorough and, especially since you are in the right age for menopause, he wants to do all the check ups to make sure you'll go through it in the best way.

All the symptoms you've listed are so familiar to me..I think one day my period will reach the shade of blue and green...it has changed so many colors until now I wouldn't be surprised!
The same stands for length ecc. In the past two months I got my period every 17 days. Sometimes it lasts nine days, sometimes two. I very often start with brown spotting - I really hate that, I get all crampy and sore and I know that the real thing hasn't even started.

Go see your doc with no worry. I'm pretty new to peri and still with lots of doubts. But you'll see, the ladies of this site are fantastic and will give you all the support you need
(Andrea, a whining posting about kidneys and pmsing will follow..)

Keep us posted
Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Carla. I was posting to you on the kidney board. Let me know where you are related to the kidney stone episode, either here or on the kidney board.

Andrea

Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

Thank you Carla. You made me feel better. I have read elsewhere where women have bled from 2 weeks to 30 days! Is this also normal with perimenopause? My appointment is in 1 hr. I will let you know how I do. Thanks for all your support. Terry

Old 08-31-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thank you Carla. You made me feel better. I have read elsewhere where women have bled from 2 weeks to 30 days! Is this also normal with perimenopause? My appointment is in 1 hr. I will let you know how I do. Thanks for all your support. Terry
Just to let you know, I have bled crazy too and I'm fine, had the biopsy and pap smears and I'm doing well, at least with that, but anxious like crazy, LOL

Andrea

Old 08-31-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

I am home, everything went excellent. He did a pap, exam, stool sample all is fine. Will know the pap results by Friday, took blood to see if I was menopausal, will know tomorrow. Now I am nervous about the pap. He said if it shows menopause, then we can say this loooooong period is because of that. There was no blood at the cervix and he said that was excellent. He also tested for anemia. He said if the bleeding continues, I will have to have an ultrasound to see if unterine lining is too think, and may need a D&C. Terry

Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
(female)

heitara HB User

Good to know everything is fine, Terry! In menopause, almost everything is normal. If you go check the List of Symptoms you'll see you'll find everything and its opposite

Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-31-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

Where is the list of symptoms?

Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

I am doing better. My period ended yesterday....finally...after 15 days! The results came back from the blood work, it does NOT show me to be menopausal or anemic. White count is normal. Niw Im just sweating out the pap smear results. Do you think that this long period could still be from early menopause even tho nothing showed up in the test?

Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I am doing better. My period ended yesterday....finally...after 15 days! The results came back from the blood work, it does NOT show me to be menopausal or anemic. White count is normal. Niw Im just sweating out the pap smear results. Do you think that this long period could still be from early menopause even tho nothing showed up in the test?
Menopause is when you seize your period for at least 12 months.

Perimenopause or premenopause, the stages right before menopause are the roughest and this is when your period goes whacko! There is no blood test to show perimenopause.

Andrea

Closed Thread