It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Help! I'm turning into a quick tempered *itch!

I am taking the vitamins, flaxseed, magnesium and exercising but I find myself blowing up under stress when before I could maintain my composure.
I end up being quick tempered and sharp tongued right away. My heart seems to easily race. I don't like who I have become.

I hate to be with people like this and now I am one of them. How can I go back to being my normal self? Will progesterone cream help? I still have my monthly periods, but I find myself having more PMS days than before. I am not happy being a cranky, short fused *itch. Any advice?

Old 08-30-2004, 07:35 PM   #2

mtngrl57 HB User
Re: Help! I'm turning into a quick tempered *itch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2003
I am taking the vitamins, flaxseed, magnesium and exercising but I find myself blowing up under stress when before I could maintain my composure.
I end up being quick tempered and sharp tongued right away. My heart seems to easily race. I don't like who I have become.

I hate to be with people like this and now I am one of them. How can I go back to being my normal self? Will progesterone cream help? I still have my monthly periods, but I find myself having more PMS days than before. I am not happy being a cranky, short fused *itch. Any advice?
Oh my goodness, you sound like I have felt not that long ago. I still have those days but not as often. Once I realized that my actions or reactions were coming on because of something I could do something about, I felt a bit better. I didn't feel quite so out of control. I am trying to take one thing at a time. I can hold my temper pretty well. I have times that I need to go off and be alone for a while so that I don't take anything out on anyone else. I pray a lot. I don't cry quite as much as I used too. I wish I had a great answer for you. I try to stay busy and tire myself. I try to keep my mind and my body busy. I have a little dog that loves me for me. I seemed to have needed him to take care of as much as he needed someone to take care of him. I try to get focus off myself and get involved in the day. I had gotten extremely depressed and just hated myself. I have had times that I just feel as though I can't do life anymore. I take Lexapro which has helped. I try harder to feel better for my kids. They will always need a mom.
Mtngrl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:

The progesterone creme will not necessarily make you feel less cranky but will assist in any estrogen dominance. I'm cranky too, even after my period when that use to be the best time for me. Alot of it is anxiety and it just comes with perimenopause. This is why your heart races at times, just the anxiety and maybe you might begin to have night sweats or even a hot flash with a racing heart. This is normal. If you feel more comfortable, why not have a complete blood draw including all your thyroid hormones, as thyroid can fluctuate tremendously during perimenopause since peri effects the pituatary gland and the pit gland controls much in the body, trust me. And then again the hypothalmus gland in the brain gets involved regulating body temperature, etc. So there you got it. The best thing I found is to go with the flow since sometimes there isnt' a thing you can do about it except let nature take her place...by not trying to think of it too much and keep going and then of course cominghere or a friends ear to vent into also helps.

Andrea

Old 08-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you! I really don't have anyone to vent to, at least no one who is compassionate. My husband cannot understand what it feels like to have PMS and be cranky at the drop of a hat. I have teenage daughters so you can imagine the stress level there. Then I work at a small family owned business where tensions can run high if there are problems. And there always seems to be problems. There is really nothing in my life that I can change except my attitude. I just have to learn how to stop and take a few deep breaths now that my patience level has greatly diminished due to fluctuating hormones. I just hope I can become a pro at this real soon.

I was hoping for some supplement or vitamin I could take that would magically help with the sudden mood changes. I just feel like it is so unfair to us women with this whole menstration, child birth, and now perimenopause thing. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #5

mtngrl57 HB User

Quote:
Thank you! I really don't have anyone to vent to, at least no one who is compassionate. My husband cannot understand what it feels like to have PMS and be cranky at the drop of a hat. I have teenage daughters so you can imagine the stress level there. Then I work at a small family owned business where tensions can run high if there are problems. And there always seems to be problems. There is really nothing in my life that I can change except my attitude. I just have to learn how to stop and take a few deep breaths now that my patience level has greatly diminished due to fluctuating hormones. I just hope I can become a pro at this real soon.

I was hoping for some supplement or vitamin I could take that would magically help with the sudden mood changes. I just feel like it is so unfair to us women with this whole menstration, child birth, and now perimenopause thing. Thanks for listening.
I felt better when I started taking Rejuvex. It is a vitamin that has the B vit. in it and also magnesium, Vit E, Thiamin, (B1).Ribeflavin, (B2), Niacin (B3), Pantothemic acid, Iron. I take Lexapro also. Actually I can do with out taking such a high dose of Lexapro if I keep taking the rejuvex. I don't feel so on edge.

Staying physically active has helped me. I don't mean by going out and running or anything. Just moving around doing things around the house, yard, or running erronds even. Keeping my mind busy too.

Of course, I have my bad days. This morning started out depressing and restless. I pushed myself to get started and I have done pretty well so far.

I hope that you can find something that will help you. I completely understand how you are feeling. Until I found this message board I hated myself. I really felt as though I was falling apart from the inside out and I had no idea at the time, what it was. I hadn't had a period in months and then in Apr. I got it and it stayed with me for 2 months!! I was flowing very heavy and had other things going on. I was waiting for our insurance to change so that I could go to a female doctor. I was crying most of the time. In private, of course. I started online with figuring out what my symtoms might mean and it lead me to finding this board. I feel some kind of control again. That in itself has helped me with this crap.

Keep on fighten to feel better! Until then, keep comin back to visit!
Mtngrl

Old 08-31-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you for your suggestions. What is Lexapro? How does it help?

Old 08-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #7

mtngrl57 HB User

Lexapro is an anti depressant. I lost my mom and what hadn't already seemed to be falling apart at that time took me farther down.
I wouldn't advise taking an anti depressant unless it is absolutely necessary. I know at that time I needed more than a change in diet.
Check into the B vitamins for mood and things like that.
mtngrl

Old 08-31-2004, 05:34 PM   #8

proudmom47 HB User

Belle2003,
I know exactly what you are going through!! I am 47 (will be 48 in December). My periods have not altered an inch, I am still as regular as rain! But I do have the perimenopausal symptoms and have since I was about 42. These are some of them:
* Pain when I ovulate
* Mood swings ( and not just crankiness, I get real down and cry a lot, get
and stay mad at my husband, find fault with everyone and everything,
have to have the last word and win every argument, hold grudges, etc)
I get fixiated on something and won't let it go.
* Have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
* Gerd (chronic indigestion)
* My stomach is like it was when I was pregnant. The least little thing I
eat, I bloat up like a balloon.
* Achy joints and stiffness
* My allergies and asthma have gotten worse
* Can't concentrate and have foggy mind
* Can't make simple decisions

These are just a few that I think are a result of my hormones! I intend to get a blood test and have everything tested, from thryroid to every hormone in my body! I have to have some answers!
Cindy

Old 09-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thanks so much for your responses. I am taking 50 mg of B-6, maybe I need more?

I was embarrassed to go to work after blowing up last time. I found my
co-worker (who is always right about everything) starting to get to me and I realized it in time and just took some deep breaths. There are some people in your life who always irritate you or know how to push your buttons. She has been in menopause for over seven years and uses no supplements, etc. For years she would blow up and is frequently irritable. Some days we all know not to speak to her or we will get our heads chewed off. Now we have two of us like this in the office! I just don't want to get as bad as her. I really want to be able to maintain my composure at least until I get home. Then of course when I get home, I can't be the wicked witch of the East either; at least not often.

To: Cindy, Have you tried taking vitamin B-6 and magnesium for the bloating and water retention?

Old 09-03-2004, 08:13 AM   #10

proudmom47 HB User

No I do take magnesium for my asthma and I used to take a B complex but I don't know how much B-6 was in it. I get so tired of taking and trying all these supplements. I just want to find something that works. I feel like I currently take SO much for my allergies anyway. I feel like if I could get my hormones balanced maybe my allergies would lessen a bit. I have heard that allergies can really flare during this phase. This morning I had a sneezing fit that lasted 15 minutes and really itchy eyes. I REALLY want to get that saliva test to see where my hormones are. As soon as I have some extra money I will. Thanks and take care.
Cindy

Old 09-03-2004, 02:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Dear Cindy:

Richard posted this message under the Vitamin and Supplements site " i read flax has omega 3, 6 and 9. i eat a half cup of ground flax seed a day and i feel great. i'm off antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds for one month, allergy and asthma meds reduced 90%, no longer feel cold[serious problem for ten years] exercise capacity increased 33% to 50%. i get brown flax for 89 centa a pound. cost per day about 12 cents. i grind it in coffee grinder right before using it. "

You may want to look into Flaxseed since he says that since using it his allergy and asthma medication needs has been reduced by 90%. If you want to ask him more questions he wrote under the post titled Fish oil or Flaxseed in the vitamin and supplement section of the boards. I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread