It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 01:58 PM   #1

Z'sMom HB User
Question about what WORKS? HELP PLEASE!

I'm wondering if ya'll experienced folks can help me.

My Mother (mid-60's) is suffering from severe hot flashes and waking during the night. When she was visiting last week she slept for less than 3 hours a night -- not enough for her very active life.

Together we looked online for possible menopause solutions. Her Dr. is very, uhm, unconcerned although she states frequently how "tired and run down" my Mom looks. This same Dr. took her off hormones (sorry, I don't know the name of the actual pill) because she felt it wasn't "good" for my Mom.

My Dad says Mom often doesn't sleep for even the 3 hours...and so is tired & irritable. Now that I've SEEN how little sleep she's getting, I'd like to find out what FIRST HAND remedies you all can recommend.

Has anyone tried Estroven or any of the other OTC products? Are there any herbal remedies that work for you? My Mom's pretty sensitive, a few Advil or a glass of wine knock her for a loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-31-2004, 02:08 PM   #2

susan62 HB User
Re: Question about what WORKS? HELP PLEASE!

If your mother was recently taken off hormones and did not gradually taper off of them that in itself can cos severe menopausal symptoms ex;hot flashes, night sweats and all that goes with menopause. She would be like surgical meno with in a few days and that can even raise your body temp.Was she taking prem ar *n?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 05:52 PM   #3

Z'sMom HB User

That med sounds familiar and I THINK it was what she was taking. However, they tapered her off over a 2 month period and she's been off for almost 4 months since then...and is really struggling.

Any advice about natural supplements, OTC products, anything that helps?

Old 09-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

This can happen after she gets off her hormone medication. It will pass in time. She just needs to slow down and check out for awhile. I know this is hard to do, especially when she has been so active, but she has no other choice. Long term use of hormones is not healthy and the bottom line is that there is no easy way around meno. We just have to get through. Time to slow down and rest.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Z's Mom,
I started taking revival soy in Feb. 04 (1 serving = 160mg of soy). I didn't have hot flashes/night sweats for about 5 months. Then couple of weeks ago, I had them for about two weeks (1-2X/day) and now I'm not having them again. I found out about it on another meno board called power-surge. where many women claimed it have helped them.

I have also taken Estroven for about 4-5 months but didn't notice a difference. Is your mom experiencing other symptoms as well as these hot flashes for the first time in her life? You said she is in her mid-60's!

Molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'sMom
I'm wondering if ya'll experienced folks can help me.

My Mother (mid-60's) is suffering from severe hot flashes and waking during the night. When she was visiting last week she slept for less than 3 hours a night -- not enough for her very active life.

Together we looked online for possible menopause solutions. Her Dr. is very, uhm, unconcerned although she states frequently how "tired and run down" my Mom looks. This same Dr. took her off hormones (sorry, I don't know the name of the actual pill) because she felt it wasn't "good" for my Mom.

My Dad says Mom often doesn't sleep for even the 3 hours...and so is tired & irritable. Now that I've SEEN how little sleep she's getting, I'd like to find out what FIRST HAND remedies you all can recommend.

Has anyone tried Estroven or any of the other OTC products? Are there any herbal remedies that work for you? My Mom's pretty sensitive, a few Advil or a glass of wine knock her for a loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #6

Z'sMom HB User

Molly, she started at age 50 (@14 years ago). The hormone replacement really worked for her -- dealt with most of her symptoms and kept her feeling "normal" throughout. It just doesn't seem to be ending for her. I understand the reasons why they took her off the med...in case I sounded harsh about that.

Unfortunately, her Dr. isn't one to promote herbal remedies or other OTC solutions. I, myself, am an Estroven and find it helpful but I think I'm just pre-meno (or whatever the proper term is). She's really suffering, mostly from night sweats, insomnia and hot flashes.

I've forwarded her a box of Estroven which contains a lot of good stuff. PLUS she's now doing soy and has agreed to at least try the flax seed for a while.

I will look up both powersurge and revival soy (is that different than regular soy products?) too. TY for the suggestions! Anything you've tried and NOT had success with?

Old 09-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Z,

My dr. is also against me taking HRT but doesn't push herbals either; however, my gyn gave me Estrace, an estrogen cream for vaginal dryness, which my dr. didn't want me to use either - said it still contains estrogen and can get into my system. Guess there's all this talk in the news about cancer and the use of HRT. My Endo dr. was also against HRT but suggested Estroven, and eating soy products. I had a friend who was on HRT, taken off of it, and had the worse hot flashes. Lasted for about 10 years - at that time, she just dealt with it - she had to change bed sheets and clothing most nights!

Check out those sites I mentioned. Once I found out about the revival soy, I stopped the Estroven. The revival soy is different. It comes in a powder form (to be made into shakes) or in bars (similar rice crispy bars). Comes in different flavors and each serving is equiv. to 6 glasses of soy milk which we normally do not consume daily. That is why it works better b/c we don't eat as much soy as we think we do (just like vitamins - we have to take a lot more than what the bottle recommends). The revival soy also helps lower your cholesterol, lose weight, good for the bones too. Can seem kind of expensive because you're forking out about $60 per order. They also have soy chips and pasta which are really good. I wish they do away with the fancy packaging/mailing to lower the cost of it. I turned several of my friends onto it and they love it.

I am taking a lot of stuff but nothing herbal...I didn't feel comfortable taking Black Cohosh, which is suppose to help with the hot flashes...read some stuff about that too. I'm taking a whole lot of vitamins...about 17 pills a day! Yikes!

Whatever your mom tries, be consistent about it.

Keep us posted....
molly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'sMom
Molly, she started at age 50 (@14 years ago). The hormone replacement really worked for her -- dealt with most of her symptoms and kept her feeling "normal" throughout. It just doesn't seem to be ending for her. I understand the reasons why they took her off the med...in case I sounded harsh about that.

Unfortunately, her Dr. isn't one to promote herbal remedies or other OTC solutions. I, myself, am an Estroven and find it helpful but I think I'm just pre-meno (or whatever the proper term is). She's really suffering, mostly from night sweats, insomnia and hot flashes.

I've forwarded her a box of Estroven which contains a lot of good stuff. PLUS she's now doing soy and has agreed to at least try the flax seed for a while.

I will look up both powersurge and revival soy (is that different than regular soy products?) too. TY for the suggestions! Anything you've tried and NOT had success with?

Old 09-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #8

justhangnout HB User

Hi Zs mom,
I have a friend who is in her 60s suffering from hot flashes and insominia, she started using progesterone creme and they symptoms went away.

My mom used black cohash for hot flashes.......I guess it worked pretty good for her.....Sometimes you have to try different things to see how they work for you.

My mom is in her 70s and still taking estrogen. She just cannot function without it. Her body never adjusted.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

My mother is 68 and took hormones for 30 years. With this new news about how bad they are. Her doctor took her off them also. No tappering either. She looks older and seems different. Not sure if its the hormones or not. Maybe your mom should go to a new doctor and ask to be put on something else. I told this new doctor I am seeing about my mom and he just shook his head. He believes in hormone treatment. Linda

Old 09-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #10

Z'sMom HB User

TY all!

She's going to her Dr. today and I had a chance to speak with the Dr. for a few minutes yesterday. My Mom tends to "underreport" symptoms and so the Dr. was not aware of how hard she still has it. They are going to test her thyroid (why didn't they do this before?!) and run some more blood work to ensure she's not showing any signs of chemical imbalances plus to see if there are any reasons for her weight gain.

PLUS, now, my Mom has been having two fingers on her right hand lock up. The Dr. said she'll both xray and do a R.A. test. Rheumatoid runs in our family (I have it) so perhaps that's also a factor in what she's going thru.

After just a few days on the Estroven she reports no side effects and feels "slightly better". I've talked to her about the creams (she won't do - not sure what the real issues with that one are) and will keep bringing her the ideas posted here. I'm DEFINATELY going to look at that revival soy!

When it comes to medical issues, her normally wonderful & organized approach to life retreats to how she was brought up - don't "bother" the Dr's and don't-take-anything-because-you're-a-good-strong-country-lass type attitude.

Again, my deepest thanks for pointing me in new directions. Keep those suggestions coming!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

savedab HB User
Exclamation Re: Question about what WORKS? Progesterone cream

I have heard that natural progesterone cream can help with menopasual symptoms and their are no sign effects like the ones that your dr prescribes.
I am on the cream now for premenopasual and it has helped me to ovulate more. Best of luck. Arlene

Old 01-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I'll be sixty one in february and have been on prem for eighteen years.
A doctor , of course, wanted me to taper off of it and I did. Boy, was it awful. Extreme vag. dryness, itching, hot flashes, etc. We don't have cancer in our family; and my mother took Prem for decades.
So I found out they have now a new LOW DOSE Prem. I got on that and it didn't work either. Same awful symptoms. So a doctor said to rotate the .625 dose and the 0.3 dose. I'm doing that now. I also use the progesterone cream. When I remember.
I do not feel good about taking these pills, of course. But I don't feel good about living in general when I don't. And that's worse, for me.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
(female)

newbie5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene
I'll be sixty one in february and have been on prem for eighteen years.
A doctor , of course, wanted me to taper off of it and I did. Boy, was it awful. Extreme vag. dryness, itching, hot flashes, etc. We don't have cancer in our family; and my mother took Prem for decades.
So I found out they have now a new LOW DOSE Prem. I got on that and it didn't work either. Same awful symptoms. So a doctor said to rotate the .625 dose and the 0.3 dose. I'm doing that now. I also use the progesterone cream. When I remember.
I do not feel good about taking these pills, of course. But I don't feel good about living in general when I don't. And that's worse, for me.
What is Prem? Thanks!

Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

PREMARIN, the most effective form of estrogen you can buy that's made from horse's urine. It comes in 3 strengths, .625 mg, 0.03 mg and the strongest that is ??? milligrams. Many doctors are taking their patients off of Premarin due to breast cancer that occurred in some clinical trials (or in one major trial) in women who took it without an opposing progesterone pill (which is usually Provera). Provera has been castigated as "a poison" by a famous author and medical doctor who recommended using progesterone in a cream form. He has passed away now but his teachings remain respected and his beliefs are still discussed among millions of women.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #15
(female)

newbie5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene
PREMARIN, the most effective form of estrogen you can buy that's made from horse's urine. It comes in 3 strengths, .625 mg, 0.03 mg and the strongest that is ??? milligrams. Many doctors are taking their patients off of Premarin due to breast cancer that occurred in some clinical trials (or in one major trial) in women who took it without an opposing progesterone pill (which is usually Provera). Provera has been castigated as "a poison" by a famous author and medical doctor who recommended using progesterone in a cream form. He has passed away now but his teachings remain respected and his beliefs are still discussed among millions of women.
Thank you for your response! I thought Premarin was what you were referring to. I, also, am taking Premarin-0.9 mg.-just began about 3 weeks ago. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago-kept ovaries-so I don't take Progesterone (although I have read that some women w/o a uterus take it with success). I am interested in going to bio-identicals, but the one women's center in Indy I contacted is not in my network. I know there are others out there so I have to keep looking. I worry about the risk of breast cancer, but I have read so many things about Premarin, some good, some bad, as I am sure it is with everything. I was told that since I am only 41 I need to replace my estrogen for my heart and bone health. The whole hormone issue confuses me! Thanks!

Closed Thread