It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Testosterone...anyone?

I'm finally beginning to feel like my old self after almost two years. The issue now is libido...I've read some postings from women who have regained their interest in sex after using testosterone...anyone using testosterone? I just thought I'd get some input from you ladies before calling my doctor in the morning. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

captain14 HB User
Re: Testosterone...anyone?

I was wondering what happened with the doctor? And also what bcp have you been using that is making you feel better? Glad to hear you are .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain14
I was wondering what happened with the doctor? And also what bcp have you been using that is making you feel better? Glad to hear you are .

Thanks for following up on my progress. Well, after receiving a variety of responses at another website I decided to wait at least another month before possibly trying testosterone. Presently, I'm taking generic Loestrin bcp (called Microgestin 1.5/30), and have been for 2 months. It has been a God send. Dipity, a person who posts at this board, did mention that it took her 9-10 months to totally get rid of all her perimenopausal symptoms while using Microgestin. I'm wondering if in time my low...to NO...libido will drastically improve. I'd like to give the Microgestin a fair amount of time to fully work before adding additional medications.

How are you doing?

Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

captain14 HB User

If you don't mind me asking what were the symptoms that you were experiencing the most? I am reading Dr. Vliet's book It's My Ovaries, Stupid and find that most of the symptoms I am feeling are due to low estradiol. I am taking Ovcon 35 and am still misreble. I know Dippity said it may take a few tries to find the right pill so I am trying to find the balance that I need of estrogen to progestin. Muscle ache and insomnia are the two worst for me. Though if you ask my husband it is the no sex drive. So I have to work on all of this. Thanks for all your help...it is nice to have people to talk to that don't think I am nuts.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain14
If you don't mind me asking what were the symptoms that you were experiencing the most? I am reading Dr. Vliet's book It's My Ovaries, Stupid and find that most of the symptoms I am feeling are due to low estradiol. I am taking Ovcon 35 and am still misreble. I know Dippity said it may take a few tries to find the right pill so I am trying to find the balance that I need of estrogen to progestin. Muscle ache and insomnia are the two worst for me. Though if you ask my husband it is the no sex drive. So I have to work on all of this. Thanks for all your help...it is nice to have people to talk to that don't think I am nuts.

Yes, it is truly good having other women to communicate with who fully understand.

You asked about my worst symptoms an I must say it was the spacey, woosie, unreal, dizzy, lightheaded feeling. It affected my vision, coordination and entire disposition. Secondary was the anxiety/panic attacks and depression, which were triggered by the 24/7 spacey feeling.

I understand about the muscle aches an insomnia. About a year before the mentioned symptoms above "arrived" I was having severe leg aches, hip pains, sleep disturbance, chills, ankle swelling, memory lapses and low libido. I saw two doctors and mentioned that I believed my symptoms were related to menopause, and because I was about 39/40 years old "they" ruled out menopause. If I knew then what I now know....

Old 11-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Captain how are you doing on Ovcon 35?

Old 11-29-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
(female)

captain14 HB User

I am not using bcp anymore. The Ovcon35 made me feel worse. Sorry. I had terrible anxiety, worse insomnia than I have now and the other symptoms I have just seemed worse. But that is me. My gp said go off altogether and see what happens. I feel better not great but better. I have been off for 2 months and am going to have bloodwork done next month. I had been on bcp for 12 years so I think I needed a break. Are you changing pills? I thought you were doing great on the pill you were taking? Let me know.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Captain I was doing well on Loestrin for awhile, but then I started having high glucose levels, heart palpitations, moodiness, loss of appetite an anxiety. I'm not sure if the high glucose caused all these symptoms, but according to my RE birth control pills can cause insulin resistance. So now I'm trying Mircette because it has lower progestin than Loestrin. I was reading a book about perimenopause written by a female doctor and she mentioned using bcp like Ovcon because they have one of the lowest progestin dosage. Decisions, decisions, decisions...especially when you don't want to make any decisions. In all honesty I'm also wondering if the Microzide that I take for my blood pressure could have caused many of my symptoms since it is known to deplete your bodies magnesium, calcium, and potassium. I'm just waiting to get my blood work results from my doctor.

Did you take Ovcon for 12 years or other bcp?

Last edited by Hopefully; 11-29-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Captain I was doing well on Loestrin for awhile, but then I started having high glucose levels, heart palpitations, moodiness, loss of appetite an anxiety. I'm not sure if the high glucose caused all these symptoms, but according to my RE birth control pills can cause insulin resistance. So now I'm trying Mircette because it has lower progestin than Loestrin. I was reading a book about perimenopause written by a female doctor and she mentioned using bcp like Ovcon because they have one of the lowest progestin dosage. Decisions, decisions, decisions...especially when you don't want to make any decisions. In all honesty I'm also wondering if the Microzide that I take for my blood pressure could have caused many of my symptoms since it is known to deplete your bodies magnesium, calcium, and potassium. I'm just waiting to get my blood work results from my doctor.

Did you take Ovcon for 12 years or other bcp?

Last edited by Hopefully; 11-29-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
(female)

captain14 HB User

I was taking ortho-novum 777 up until May of this year. Since June last year I was feeling crummy and gyn said to make the change because Ovcon35 gives an even dose of the hormones through the month and also the lower dose of progestin. At first I thought I was feeling better but that was short lived. Instead of switching to another bcp I decided to take a rest. The bad part is that I miss the timing of having my period during the placebo week. Now I am all over the map...day 31 the 1st month off, day 21 the 2nd month. Who knows when this month. This better be peri for all the yuckiness I put up with every month.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #11

djg HB User

I started taking testestrone 5% cream and it has been the biggest mircle. What symptoms I did have disappeared right away. I am happyt and my old cheerful self again. My AF even went back to lighter...I could go on for ever on how much this stuff has improved my life and my younger hubby isn't complaining on bit! I told my Dr. if she takes this stuff away from me I'll kill myself!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
I started taking testestrone 5% cream and it has been the biggest mircle. What symptoms I did have disappeared right away. I am happyt and my old cheerful self again. My AF even went back to lighter...I could go on for ever on how much this stuff has improved my life and my younger hubby isn't complaining on bit! I told my Dr. if she takes this stuff away from me I'll kill myself!
It's always delightful to hear good news from someone going through this change. What is AF? My previous dr. won't prescribe testosterone, but I might check into this again with my new dr.

Closed Thread