It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

heitara HB User
Confusion about peri

I had my hormones tests back and I'm quite confused. My doc said "I'm not menopausal". Does this mean all my symptoms are not due to my being peri? Or has perimenopause nothing to do with the results of the tests?
Here they are, anyway:
FSH: 1.7

LH: 1.7

Doc said that since they are both low, everything is still working properly. I also suffer from thyroiditis and therefore I never know whether is my ovaries or my thyroid the one malfunctioning..
These are the lab tests regarding my thyroid, in case any of you ladies can lend me a hand. (I know you can Andrea, can you give me your opinion, please?)

TSH: 1.4 normal range: 0.3 - 5.5
FT3 : 2.8 2.0 - 4.2
FT4 : 0.8 0.8 - 1.5

I'm very confused. Any comment would be appreciated..

Thanks

Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Confusion about peri

Hi Carla,
I don't know a whole lot about the hormone tests but I'll post what I know - I do know that if you rating is low, you are not in menopause. Your thyroid tests seem normal to me too. Isn't thyroiditis inflammation of the glands? Are you taking med for this? This must be different from hypo- and hyperthyroidism?

There are no way to test for "peri-meno" - you just suffer with all these horrible symptoms and you go from dr. to dr. trying to find out what is wrong with you. I believe the saliva test is suppose to give you a better idea what stage you're in with this whole meno stuff.

In October 03, my FSH was 26.3, LSH was 18.5. My endo dr. also said I wasn't in meno, even tho I was 50 yo. None of my drs. ever said I was even "peri-meno" - all they said there was a "possibility!" Duh!!

8 months later and not having my period for 6 months, in July 04, my FSH went up to 78.4, which I means I'm heading into meno.

I have also been diagnosed with mild hypothyroid years ago (in my mid-40's). Several of my readings for thyroid (T3) have been 2.612, 1.508, 2.641 (range: 0.35 - 5.5) which I guess is normal but keep in mind I'm on med too.

I read in several books that your thyroid can be out of wack even tho the reading may show up normal. It is my opinion that this was the reason why I was having such extreme fatigue....my hormones and thyroid were totally out of wack!! I felt off balanced even! I tried telling my drs. this and they did not seem interested - they all claim there's a lot of controversy about this, just like there's controversy about people who have thyroid shouldn't eat soy either (which I do).

Yes, all of this is very confusing and I hope I haven't confused you more! LOL!

Do have a good day!
molly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heitara
I had my hormones tests back and I'm quite confused. My doc said "I'm not menopausal". Does this mean all my symptoms are not due to my being peri? Or has perimenopause nothing to do with the results of the tests?
Here they are, anyway:

Doc said that since they are both low, everything is still working properly. I also suffer from thyroiditis and therefore I never know whether is my ovaries or my thyroid the one malfunctioning..
These are the lab tests regarding my thyroid, in case any of you ladies can lend me a hand. (I know you can Andrea, can you give me your opinion, please?)

Thanks

Carla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitara
Here they are, anyway:

Thanks

Carla
Hi Carla. Do not pay attention to your FSH. Will not tell if you are perimenopause, only your symptoms will and especially your age. This is all time clock right now, trust me. I know they say watch the period and if it goes wacko your perimenopause. Well yes, this is true if you don't have any other hormonal problems. So there is no doubt in my mind girl, you are perimenopause. The FSH can fluctuate back and forth for years. I means years!!!!! I have girlfriends who are much older than me and there FSH is a yoyo, sometimes they have their periods, other times they don't. What I really want to comment on here is...your thyroid! Your FSH is within normal limits, but low normal limits, but my concern is also your T3 which is on the low side and definitely your T4, it's right on the border sweetheart. Not good. You have Hashimoto's right? or low thyroid, right? Are you taking meds for this? If you are, they need to bring your meds up a bit, boost your TSH to make more T4 which will convert to T3. I know this is confusing and so therefore I'm going to suggest you visit the thyroid board here. Midwest and others are very good at reading these tests. Just post a subject, please help, thyroid tests, confused! Thyroid is a very complicated gland. Trust me, been there and go through it every month. They won't give me meds yet, but my thyroid fluctuates like a yoyo every month. Also, you might want to run the ACTH test. This test will tell you how your adrenaline glands are supporting stress which has alot to do with the pituatary gland which is related to the thryoid gland to and the hypothalmus gland. IF you are low in this test, then perhaps there isn't a proper connection from adrenaline/pituatary to thyroid/pituatary. Isn't it a shame that we have to play our own doctors since our doctors just don't get it!

Anyways, hope you are feeling better. I have been bad too, bad flank pain, don't know if I'm going to pass another stone one day again and also hurts to take in a deep breathe, cough, sneeze etc. I think I did too much Tai Chi to my kidney, LOL But the doc said I can exercise. Anyways, started to run a low grade fever and the doctor covering this weekend for my urologist ordered more antibiotics. So here I go again. Hate antibiotics. Anyways, no more fever, at least not yet, pain is still there, didn't sleep a wink last night. But the pain is a bit better, not five stars yet, I'll give a two.

Love ya,

Andrea

Old 09-04-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

heitara HB User

No, Polly, you haven't confused me more, lol, thanks for your tips.
Andrea, I'm running to the thyroid board right away. Happy to know you're better, at least as far as fever is concerned...today I bumped into a very interesting site containing a list of food that are rich or poor of oxalates. (my kidneys produce calcium oxalates stones) Yiiiikes! My eyes were open wide and I couldn't believe what I was reading. FOR YEARS I have eaten nothing but food that helped me produce oxalates!!! And no doctor has ever mentioned it yet. Never investigated. I'm speachless. And outraged. If your stones turn out to be oxalates, I'll give you the url of the site.
Well, I'll start changing my diet tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
At least I can see a little hope now...
Love back to ya and Polly
Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 09-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

ok, can't wait to hear what has caused my stones, but I have a feeling it's from chocolate and calcium, not enough potassium in my body to make a balance.

Andrea

Closed Thread