It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #1

sodepressed HB User
Anyone having dental problems?

I'm 37 and had a hysterectomy 6 years ago. I'm on calcium and estrogen but have noticed that my gums have receded and my teeth have moved. I'm pretty sure that I have a front top tooth that is loose.

All I can think about is loosing my teeth and I'm freaking out. I can't get into my dentist until the 20th.

Any thoughts?

Julie

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
(female)

heitara HB User
Re: Anyone having dental problems?

I can't be of any particular help, I'm afraid, except telling you that you won't be losing your teeth even if you go to your dentist the 20th of next year. Receeding gums are quite common and it can be also related to your family history. A regular dental cleaning and some periodic scaling will help a lot. Your dentist might even place a sort of "support" behind the teeth that are moving more. It's a thin layer (don't know what is made of) that "glue" your teeth so that they won't have any stress when you chew or in case you grind at night.
Be gentle when you brush them. Be careful to remove plaque carefully and floss regularly.
And, above all, don't worry..

Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Last edited by heitara; 09-04-2004 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Julie,

All I know is that I floss everyday, go for regular cleanings 4X/year, etc. and there is always something going on with my teeth/gums. It is very frustrating!

Many years ago, one of my front tooth just suddenly had bone loss. It was fine when my dentist did x-rays, then couple of later weeks later the tooth was loose. He had it removed, had a fake put in. He found it weird that that happened...but weird things tend to happen to me anyway. I also had deep pockets (receding gum) the back part of my mouth. Ended up having two of my back teeth removed. I would also get sudden small cavities. So, no matter how much I try to take care of my teeth, there seems to always be something. I guess I can blame it on peri-meno! LOL!

I was told that a lot of dental is related to genetics and if you tend to have allergies (I do), you are likely to have plaque buildup a lot easier (even tho they seem to only spend 20 mins. cleaning my teeth each time). Don't freak out...you will be fine. As long as you go to the dentist have things taken care of, you will not lose all your teeth.

Molly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodepressed
I'm 37 and had a hysterectomy 6 years ago. I'm on calcium and estrogen but have noticed that my gums have receded and my teeth have moved. I'm pretty sure that I have a front top tooth that is loose.

All I can think about is loosing my teeth and I'm freaking out. I can't get into my dentist until the 20th.

Any thoughts?

Julie

Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Julie, I also have receeding gum line...that just comes with age an it also runs in my family. I noticed that my gum line was receeding several years ago, I'm now 43, and thank God I still have my teeth. Are you on hrt?

Discuss your concern with your dentist and maybe you can get an earlier appointment.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Since perimenopause started I've had 4-5 small pits/cavities appear on the surface of my teeth.
A real bummer because my dental insurance is gone now.
My theory is that if menopause affects the bone, why wouldn't it affect the teeth as well??

Old 09-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #6

sodepressed HB User

Hopefully,
Yes, I'm on 1mg Estrace daily and I've just increased my calcium intake. I am considering increasing my Estrace but have to talk to my doc first. I have concerns about taking a high dose of estrogen for a long period of time because of all the possible side effects from that.

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

It can be hereditiary and my dentist who is a woman told me that she see many women who start to have dental problems and receding gum lines as they get into peri and menopause. She thinks it is related to hormones and said she feels studies should be done on it. it can be considered another symptom of the changes we are going through. She suggests teeth cleaning every 3 months as one preventative measure.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodepressed

Any thoughts?

Julie
Hi Julie. This has happened to my girlfriend. She is removing all of her teeth. She has had nothing but teeth problems since entering into perimenopause. She is 46, will be 47 in November.

Andrea

Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Hi Julie. This has happened to my girlfriend. She is removing all of her teeth. She has had nothing but teeth problems since entering into perimenopause. She is 46, will be 47 in November.

Andrea
Andrea,
What?!? Are you sure your girlfriend is having ALL of her teeth removed? How horrible!!! Poor thing! From the way you posted, "she is removing all her teeth," it seems to me that she is asking to have it done?? Or is her dentist telling her she has to? It's amazing what this peri-meno stuff can do to some of us!

molly

Closed Thread