It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #1

molly49 HB User
Menopause and Cholesterol

Has anyone here ever tried HRT to regulate cholesterol levels. I ask this because I have read that cholesterol levels go up as women approach menopause. My mother who is 78 had high cholesterol at age 49 (up to 300) but no longer does (it is 192). I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that she has been on HRT for the last 12 years.

Your thoughts?

Molly

Old 09-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Menopause and Cholesterol

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly49
Has anyone here ever tried HRT to regulate cholesterol levels. I ask this because I have read that cholesterol levels go up as women approach menopause. My mother who is 78 had high cholesterol at age 49 (up to 300) but no longer does (it is 192). I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that she has been on HRT for the last 12 years.

Your thoughts?

Molly
Hi Molly,

I don't have an answer for you but, boy, the postings may get confusing b/c I'm a Molly too.

I guess I'll have to sign as molly123 ...by the way, welcome to this board!

another molly (molly123)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:

Your thoughts?

Molly
There are definitely four things that can cause high cholesterol.

1. perimenopause/menopause
2. hereditary
3. the foods you eat (high in fat)
4. low thyroid

Old 09-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #4

molly49 HB User

Hello Molly123,

I believe I have seen some of your posts on the cholesterol board. In fact, I think Psalm91 got me mixed up with you and called me her friend from the menopause board!

I call myself molly49 because I will be 49 in November. I hope you are not 123 years old. (lol)!

Old 09-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Molly123,

I believe I have seen some of your posts on the cholesterol board. In fact, I think Psalm91 got me mixed up with you and called me her friend from the menopause board!

I call myself molly49 because I will be 49 in November. I hope you are not 123 years old. (lol)!
Hi molly49,

No, I'm not 123 yo, silly! LOL! I'm only 51. Heavens forbid if I'm still having to post on this meno board when I'm 123! LOL! You never know tho - people are living a lot longer these days. Last month's Times magazine had a big article on people living beyond 100 and what they are doing - the oldest is a woman at 114 yo in California.

I think I posted once or twice on the chlolestrol board only, but I know Psalm91 - she posts here too! Haven't seen her around lately tho....I hope you clarified who were - if you acted like you didn't know her, she might have thought she was losing it - another peri-meno symptom! hee-hee...
Hope to see you posting here now!

take care,
molly123

Old 09-24-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
(female)

joyka HB User
Smile Re: Menopause and Cholesterol

This a very interesting as my cholesterol has steadily gone up, up, and up all through my lates forties. Not once has my doctor ever suggested it was related to perimenopause or changing hormones. Nor has he ever checked my thyroid. I might just change doctors. This place is much more informative than I have encountered anywhere else.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyka
This a very interesting as my cholesterol has steadily gone up, up, and up all through my lates forties. Not once has my doctor ever suggested it was related to perimenopause or changing hormones. Nor has he ever checked my thyroid. I might just change doctors. This place is much more informative than I have encountered anywhere else.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyka

One thing I've learned over time, sometimes u have to play ur own doctor. If you're in your 40's, definitely your perimenopause even if you don't go into menopause until the age 55! At your age, it is very important to have your thyroid panel done, very important. I would talk to ur doctor about his or find another one. It's ur health,not theirs.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Molly123 and Molly49. I am here! Yes I got my Mollys mixed up! Molly 123, I have the internal jitters bad today! I took some calm forte and it helped but they are back again! I havent eated well today. So maybe after supper, I will feel better! Molly49, my cholesterol has gone up and up in my 40s too!

Old 09-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #10

proudmom47 HB User

My doctor never told me either that perimenopause and high cholesterol can go together. Do they not know this? Mine went up from 150 to 186 which isn't extreme, but he did recommend that I watch it. I will mention this to him and see what he says. Also what is a full thyroid panel? I think I had a blood test once for thyroid, is there more? Thanks, Cindy

Old 09-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
Hi Molly123 and Molly49. I am here! Yes I got my Mollys mixed up! Molly 123, I have the internal jitters bad today! I took some calm forte and it helped but they are back again! I havent eated well today. So maybe after supper, I will feel better! Molly49, my cholesterol has gone up and up in my 40s too!
Hi Pslam,
Haven't seen you posting for a long while! Great to hear from you again but sorry that you had the internal jitters yesterday. How are you doing today? Are you taking any Magnesium? Evening Primrose Oil? I hated those internal jitters...I think they are the worse feeling one can have b/c it is so unusual.

I noticed my cholesterol also has gone up over the years too. My lowest was 110 and slowly it has been up over the past years - it has been a steady 164 the last couple of yrs. If being hypothyroid and meno has anything to do with it, it explains it all!

Hope you feel good again!

molly123

Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Molly 123, After i had a good supper it really made a difference in my jitters. Maybe it was a blood sugar thing. I hadnt eaten very well at all during the day. I have always struggled with my cholesterol. I have been from 230 to 290 to 190 back to 230. I just am not sure about the commitment to those statins. Just like hrt, they are going to come to us in a few years and find out it made matters worse! I do take magnisuim. But I have forgotten to be consistant the last week. I just bought EP too but havent started taking that regular either. I just got over an episode of reflux. My stomach I guess is healed and I am giving it some time before I do the supplement thing again. Oh yea, I am selling on Ebay, so i stay busy over there, but I stop in here when I can.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
Hi Molly 123, After i had a good supper it really made a difference in my jitters. Maybe it was a blood sugar thing. I hadnt eaten very well at all during the day. I have always struggled with my cholesterol. I have been from 230 to 290 to 190 back to 230. I just am not sure about the commitment to those statins. Just like hrt, they are going to come to us in a few years and find out it made matters worse! I do take magnisuim. But I have forgotten to be consistant the last week. I just bought EP too but havent started taking that regular either. I just got over an episode of reflux. My stomach I guess is healed and I am giving it some time before I do the supplement thing again. Oh yea, I am selling on Ebay, so i stay busy over there, but I stop in here when I can.
Hi Pslam,
The jitters...yeah, it could easily be a blood sugar thing, esp. if you haven't eaten much! Try to eat a little something several times a day...it is suppose to be better for us peri-meno women! Also, it could help keep you from gaining any weight. Hate to nag but you have to be consistent with the mag and EPO...esp. for this stuff to really help, I guess. Also, I think those internal jitters could be related to anxiety too so I find doing some kind of exercise helps too. My only complaint is my hip/lower right waist area is achy...not debilitating, just annoying...otherwise, I feel fine. Had only one period in a 10-month period so I hope I'm over and done with soon.

Have your dr. ever suggested you take med for your cholesterol? I know many of them are hard on your liver but sometimes nothing helps lower it even if you do all the right stuff.

Geez, it seems like everyone I know has this reflux stuff going on. Either that or the med world is promoting the new acid reflux meds! What is going on here - everyone can't being having this!!???

My sister is going to start selling her stuff on e-bay - she is a pack-rat and is out of work right now. It seems you can earn a decent living this way. I am surprised as to how much $$ people are willing to pay for stuff that I thought was just junk LOL!

Take care and may you feel better and better each day!!!
molly123

Closed Thread