It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User
Unhappy trying to cope with weight gain from taking estrogen - helpppppp

I had a hystorectomy with ovaries left in 3 years ago. My ovaries worked great until a year ago so I started taking a low dose of estrogen to cope with menapause. I've always had to work on my weight counting calories, eating healthy and working out. But since taking estrogen I keep putting on weight. My breasts and bottom have trippled. It is so frustrating. I try to go with out estrogen and its to rough. I know its the estrogen because I have 2 older daughters using the Nuevo Ring for a contraceptive. They both have the same problem. They have gone up a little in weight, but their busts and bottoms have doubled. ARGH..........

I am aware of the the latest studies that came out regarding estrogen and I have tried herbs, vitimens, supplements, soy........progesterone........etc.... I couldn't find anything to help with my menpausal symtoms.

Is there any of you ladies that use HRTs and have a similar problem and found a solution?

Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: trying to cope with weight gain from taking estrogen - helpppppp

My mom has been on HRT for over 20 years. She has always had trouble with her weight until she went on the no carb diet. She has lost so much weight her face looks too thin. Her face looked better when it was fuller. I was amazed that she actually lost weight because she had been on weight watchers forever, but the weight would always come back on fast. Now she cheats a couple of times a week, but for the most part she does not eat carbs and she is still thin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

Chloe1208 HB User

I'm having the same problem! I'm taking Activella and haven't been on it for long, but I am gaining weight. I'm always hungry! All I want to do is eat. I've gained 10 lbs in a month! I lost a bunch of weight last year with no carbs and had been keeping it off until I started the hormones. I'm going to have to get back on no carbs, no bread etc. I can't gain this weight back because it was keeping my blood pressure down.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

I know what you mean Chloe, I just want to eat eat eat (carbs) since being on the estrogen. When I'm off for a few days the cravings stop. When I diet (very strictly) the weight comes off really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'm doing curves that helps.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

heartlandguy HB User

hannasnana, are you back yet? I've been checking daily...

I didn't want to reply to your kind message on my thread because I want that thread to die off. It seems to have a life of its own.

Last edited by heartlandguy; 09-22-2004 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #6

rurunh HB User
Unhappy Re: trying to cope with weight gain from taking estrogen - helpppppp

I had a complete hysterectomy & oophectomy in February, and started taking estrogen after only a week or so because the menopausal symptoms were so bad. I lost weight at first, but since May it just keeps packing on. I couldn't understand what it was, but I've begun to realize it's the estrogen. I'm taking premarin right now. Is there another form of estrogen that doesn't cause weight gain? I have almost no clothes that fit me anymore, especially around the waist.

Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi rurunh,
From what I understand from asking around, there isn't any estrogen that doesn't cause weight gain, or I would be the first one on it!!!! Although, I wonder if everybody that is using estrogen is affected by it?

Old 10-02-2004, 08:35 AM   #8

rurunh HB User

Have you discussed this with your doctor? Because that's my next step. I'm only 42, so I feel that I need to stay on the estrogen, but I hate this gaining weight stuff!

Old 10-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2003
My mom has been on HRT for over 20 years. She has always had trouble with her weight until she went on the no carb diet. She has lost so much weight her face looks too thin. Her face looked better when it was fuller. I was amazed that she actually lost weight because she had been on weight watchers forever, but the weight would always come back on fast. Now she cheats a couple of times a week, but for the most part she does not eat carbs and she is still thin.
watch the no carb diet, too much protein puts too much pressure on kidneys, therefore u can get kidney disease from this.

ANdrea

Old 10-02-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

If u think estrogen makes u gain weight, so do anti-depressants. Actually, I take prozac and it wasn't suppose to make me gain weight and it did. Also, I had this weight issue before Prozac and weight issues are definitely a challenge during perimenopause and menopause.

Andrea

Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi ru, I discussed the weight problem and estrogen with my gp, she said, well, just don't put things in your mouth. UGH........I don't discuss it with her anymore.......

I don't do well on the Atkins diet because I CRAVE carbs......then I eat more carbs because of the craving. My husband is on the LOW CARB diet and has been since last January and he is doing great. NO cravings. He has lost alot of weight very slowly. I'm proud of him. I'd like to see how it would be if he took estrogen..????LOL

I'm trying to get the initiative to stay on a healthy eating program. I just cant seem to get up the energy for it. I have always been able to get going. I am working out 3 times a week for 30 mins. Going to start walking again too.........I just need to eat healthy........Right now, that is eaasier said than done. Since I am concerned about my health, that should be the catalist. Going for a walk now..........

Closed Thread