It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #1

denise222 HB User
Am I going Nuts????

I am a 44 year old female, no children and I'm experiecing the follow symptoms: panic attacks, constant worry/dread, anxiety, hot/cold flashes, unable to sleep though the night....my periods have been normal up till the last year, now they are shorter and shorter. I will start on the 10th, next month the 5th, next month 2nd, etc. etc. It starts out black and then heavy red for 1 day and usually ends by day 3....headaches, muscle pains and mood swings.

Ya' know that awful jumpy, moody, uneasy feeling you have right before you start? I feel like that 24/7.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I have no one to talk to and I feel like I am going nuts!
Thanks --Denise

Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Am I going Nuts????

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise222
I am a 44 year old female, no children and I'm experiecing the follow symptoms: panic attacks, constant worry/dread, anxiety, hot/cold flashes, unable to sleep though the night....my periods have been normal up till the last year, now they are shorter and shorter. I will start on the 10th, next month the 5th, next month 2nd, etc. etc. It starts out black and then heavy red for 1 day and usually ends by day 3....headaches, muscle pains and mood swings.

Ya' know that awful jumpy, moody, uneasy feeling you have right before you start? I feel like that 24/7.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I have no one to talk to and I feel like I am going nuts!
Thanks --Denise
Hi Denise, hope this makes you feel better to know that you are not alone. I am 45, soon will be 46 and I began perimenopause actually a few years ago, but it tends to run patterns and stopped, now it came back in December of last year. So here I am, I was having panic attacks, hot/cold flashes, night sweats, rapid heartbeat, you name it, I had it. The best way to help you in this would be probably a natural progesterone creme to begin wtih, but I wouldn't administer it yourself, I would have a naturopathy, alternative medicine doctor or consultant or your gyne who uses natural therapy. Make sure you take your multi-vitamin or at least a B complex and minerals, very important these minerals. I still get symptoms, but they are milder now, unfortunately I had to take a bit of Prozac my perimenopause was just that bad. But at least I don't use the Xanax anymore, still have it for the roughest days. Anyways, I still get the electrical shock under my skin or muscle twitches on a regular basis and contribute it to anxiety and hormonal changes/fluctuations. I still feel panicky at times, especially right before a hot flash. The doom and gloom feeling is part of the anxiety that accompany's perimenopause. If it continues to be horrible for you, I suggest you talk to your doctor about getting either on an anti-depressant which is used for more that depression or a benzo like Xanax etc. to take occassionally when you are feeling at your worst. Anti-depressants are taken daily and it takes about 4-6 weeks to begin it's full effects but you will feel better within the 1st week just by starting it. Many of us here had to go that route, we just had to and we don't regret it cause it really made us feel better. STay with us and let us know how you are doing, we are just as concerned about you as we are the others and the next one who finds us here on this board.

Many blessings,

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #3

PennyD HB User

Quote:

Thanks --Denise
Hi Denise,
I also am 44 yo and no children. I have had or still experience all the symptoms you have mentioned. Except my periods are not that short they have gone from 4 days each month to 7 days. I had blood work done and my progesterone level was 1!! I am currently seeing an endocrinologist/gyn. She has me on natural progesterone cream made by a compounding pharmacist in my area. My GP has given me Paxil CR 25 mg and Klonopin 1mg. As Andrea said in her post you would want supervision with the natural progesterone cream. The OTC cream is not as stong as one from a pharmacist. So that is why you need advise on using the cream. Hope you feel better soon.
Penny

Old 09-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Denise,

I just turned 50 this year, no children also and wanted to also tell you I have gone thru the same things too and still do on and off. Got my period on Sat on the 24th day and this week seems to be worse than before my period!!

Anxiety, and fretting over things and some nightsweats this week, also some palpitations where you feel kind of a little rush and like you feel dizzy a bit? Haven't had that one in a long while and now it seems to have cropped up again. I do not like it!!

The only thing certain I have found about this peri thing is that nothing is real certain as far as when the symtpoms will hit. the worse for me was in Feb/Mar and part of April this year. Then May and June were great and also most of July. August had some of the achiness and such and now the palpitations have come on and off with more anxiety feelings cropping up. The jumpy feeling you have described too..yes I have been there. As I said sometimes it seems worse to me a bit after I get my period....like I am relieved when I get it with the symtpoms waning and then almost a week later, some symptoms rear their ugly head!!

I don't know if you have already got this suggestion yet but there is a book called The Pause , that is really great in that it goes thru each symtpom and tells you why it is happening. This has helped me, along with this board and all the wonderful people on it that are going thru the same things.

Take care.

rmc

Old 09-09-2004, 06:43 PM   #5

denise222 HB User

Oh my gosh!!! you guys are AWESOME! It's such a thrilled to know that I am not alone in this big ole world of ours going through such a roller coaster ride of emotions and upsets all by myself.

I did see my Doc today, she is great and understands fully what I am telling her (about my symptoms).... she did blood work today and feels 99% sure its pre-menopausal and told me to "hang in there".... she place me on an anit-dep called "buspar" to help level me out and said if worse comes to worse we would talk about the HRT, etc.

I will keep you posted, thanks again for the replies, knowing that I'm not alone and not the only female who feels this way.

QUESTION............does anyone have an idea how long this will last? 2 years, 5 years, 10 months?????

Old 09-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

No clue, Denise, everyone is different. I know according to my doctor it can last from 2 to 10 years or more, depending when you finally go into full menopause. Also, Buspar is an anti-anxiety drug, not an anti-depressant, so if you don't have success on it in a few weeks, tell her to give you an anti-depressant.

Andrea

Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #7

denise222 HB User

Thank you!!!! I really hope it's more like 2 years and not 10, YIKES! also...what is a good "anti-depressant" just incase needed. The Buspar seems to help level me out (took it one time before when symptoms got bad)
it helps the anxiety and is often given for PMS, but I'd like to know a good anti-depressant just incase......is lexapro and paxil? I have a friend that said she was on lexapro......thanks again!!!

Old 09-10-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thank you!!!! I really hope it's more like 2 years and not 10, YIKES! also...what is a good "anti-depressant" just incase needed. The Buspar seems to help level me out (took it one time before when symptoms got bad)
it helps the anxiety and is often given for PMS, but I'd like to know a good anti-depressant just incase......is lexapro and paxil? I have a friend that said she was on lexapro......thanks again!!!
It's hard to say about the anti-depressant, everyone is different. I would suggest though if I were a doctor, Lexapro, Prozac, Zoloft for these are often used for perimenopause, menopause, PMS, PMDD, etc.
If the Buspar helps, by all means just stick with that. They are still studying the long term effects of it but it is not addictable and not as heavy as Ativan or Xanax, etc.

Andrea

Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 AM   #9

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Denise,
My GP gave me Lexapro and I had a severe reaction to it. I would not take any SSRIs (anti-depressants) for months then I tired Zoloft and it made me very nauseated. I then found this board and Molly123 was posting about Paxil CR. I tried that and it has worked wonderfully. It is a controlled release SSRI so you don't get a bigh "WHOP" at one time. I have had no side effects. Well it did make me a little drowsy the first 3 or 4 weeks other than that is has worked wonderfully. Hope you blood work helps your Doc determine what you need.
Penny

Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Denise,

Sounds like you have a doctor that understands and that is good in itself. My gyn is also like that. In Feb/Mar when I was really at my worst with anxiety, she prescribed Lexapro and I just could not tolerate it, stomach wise. She did give me Xanax , which I had used before when I fly as I am a nervous flyer. But since we only fly once or twice a year I only had previously used it 2 times a year. In Feb. and Mar timeframe and a bit of April I did use it when I needed to and it did help with the anxiety. I would not hesitate to take it if I needed it. Everyone is different with meds though and I know people who took the Lexapro and did well with it. So it is finding something that suits you best , whether it be an anti dep. or anti anxiety drug. For me the anti anxiety med worked better for me at that time.

She also gave me a prescription for low dose birth control pills (Yasmin) which I did not end up filling. She wrote it and told me that if the symtpoms became hard to handle that she suggested the low dose bc pill for it and that it does help a lot of women. I was on the fence about taking it and as it turned out I did not feel I needed to so did not fill the prescription as I said. But I would if it got back to where it was in March and symptoms did not let up.

As for how long the whole peri process takes , I too have heard from my gyn that it is 2-10 years depending on the person. I am 50 and I think looking back on it I probably had my first signs in mid 40s , in that my periods became shorter and were spaced closer together. So it has been about 5 years for me so far, but as far as any troubling symtpoms I have gone thru it has just been this year. I have a cousin who just stopped at 50 with no apparent symtpoms at all...LUCKY!! I have another cousin who stopped at 53 after about 4 years or so of symptoms here and there leading to it. So it is really hard to say and it is very individual.

Hang in there!!

Have a good weekend,

rmc

Old 09-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #11

denise222 HB User

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to know that I'm not the only one going through this nightmare. The buspar is helping me very well...I almost feel normal again. I spotted this past weekend, have read that mis-cycle spotting in normal too and have some urine leakage (yulk! this middle age crap sucks!)

oh well, will be glad when it's all over. I have a friend in Ohio who is about 10 years older than me (she's 54) and is finally over all the symptoms and she says "life is wonderful!" no more fatique, no more hot flashes, anxiety, no more mood swings, but she still wets herself when she coughs real hard! Thanks again friends!!!

Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to know that I'm not the only one going through this nightmare. The buspar is helping me very well...I almost feel normal again. I spotted this past weekend, have read that mis-cycle spotting in normal too and have some urine leakage (yulk! this middle age crap sucks!)

oh well, will be glad when it's all over. I have a friend in Ohio who is about 10 years older than me (she's 54) and is finally over all the symptoms and she says "life is wonderful!" no more fatique, no more hot flashes, anxiety, no more mood swings, but she still wets herself when she coughs real hard! Thanks again friends!!!
Does Buspar make you sleepy? I have Xanax to take when needed, but wonder if Buspar would be better?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #13

denise222 HB User

yea, Buspar made me a little sleepy at first. My doctor gave me 5mg 2 times a day. But the 5mg made me a little hyper, well.......I don't need that! so she increased it to 10mg...take one (or can take 2 times a day if needed) I have been on it for 2 weeks and have found that I don't need it but once a day.

When I first started the 10mg, it made me a little sleepy for about an hour after taking it, then it's fine, really levels me out.

On the description pamplet it states it helps PMS symptons and has really helped my anxiety. Now, after taking the 10mg (one a day) for a week now...it dosnt make me sleepy at all when I take it, (that wares off I guess, after you adjust to it) I'm just very calm, but still 100% functional and can take another one at night, if needed (like a very bad day) so I am thrilled with the results.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
yea, Buspar made me a little sleepy at first. My doctor gave me 5mg 2 times a day. But the 5mg made me a little hyper, well.......I don't need that! so she increased it to 10mg...take one (or can take 2 times a day if needed) I have been on it for 2 weeks and have found that I don't need it but once a day.

When I first started the 10mg, it made me a little sleepy for about an hour after taking it, then it's fine, really levels me out.

On the description pamplet it states it helps PMS symptons and has really helped my anxiety. Now, after taking the 10mg (one a day) for a week now...it dosnt make me sleepy at all when I take it, (that wares off I guess, after you adjust to it) I'm just very calm, but still 100% functional and can take another one at night, if needed (like a very bad day) so I am thrilled with the results.
Wow, that's great! I read that they didn't know it's long term effects so therefore they gave me Xanax.

Andrea

Closed Thread