It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User
Please describe your Hot Flash

Can some of you ladies describe your hot flashes to me . Do you just get a warm/hot feeling through your body or is there more to it? I'm not sure if I get hot flashes or not (I know that sounds stupid!) but something strange is happening.............

Maggie

Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Please describe your Hot Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaworrier
Can some of you ladies describe your hot flashes to me . Do you just get a warm/hot feeling through your body or is there more to it? I'm not sure if I get hot flashes or not (I know that sounds stupid!) but something strange is happening.............

Maggie
They are really weird. I know when they first hit me, I panicked and had a panic attack cause I had no clue what was happening to me. Yes, sometimes they feel like a burning sensation is going through the whole body, or it can be stomach up to chest to head, sweat, maybe no sweat, heat sensation feeling, it comes in all forms, everyone is different. Does this help you? Also, do you get panicky or feel butterflies in your stomach beforehand or do you feel like crying or panicky/anxiety before the hot flash hits?

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I get a panicky butterfly feeling like my body is tightening up. It is scary sometimes. After a few seconds, the heat starts and then I start perspiring. Sometimes my face gets red, other times it does not. With the first feeling, I get anxious because I feel like I am going to have a heart attack. I have learned that the heat will come shortly and try to relax.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:

Maggie
Hi Maggie,
In the beginning, the worse ones usually happened at night (guess they're night sweats then). It would wake me up from sleep...I would jump out of bed in a state of panic, feeling really hot and anxious, my face would be all hot, shiny and wet. One time, sweat was dripping from face. This only happened couple of times. I think anxiety is often accompanied with hot flashes. Once this started happening, I would leave a bottle of water and a wet towel next to my bed.

These days, I don't get them like that anymore. But, I could be perfectly fine, doing and minding my own business and suddenly I would feel burning mostly in the face for me (doesn't help if you're wearing make-up). I was told I don't turn beet red. I've never been one to sweat too much but, in this case, I do get sweaty in the face, esp. on the nose and neck. It doesn't last all that long really...in actuality, probably not even 5 minutes. Tell you what tho, I much rather deal with hot flashes than some of the other symptoms (esp. the internal shaking, extreme fatigue, headaches, dizziness..).

What are your hot flashes like?

molly123

Old 09-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #5

MaryJet HB User

Hi there, I don't have that many flushes but here is how I describe them. They happen just before or during my periods. The flush happens only in my face, more specifically in my cheeks. They last only seconds and don't really bother me. I think if you were having one you would definately know that you where and what it was, I think they are hard to miss.

Take care, Mary

Old 09-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Maggie,
Mine are always facial related, mostly my ears burn and turn bright red, sometimes my cheeks and sometimes my neck...but never together lol. Sometimes I get the flutters with it and a little panicky, and sometimes not. Mine never last too long, maybe 5 minutes to a half hour. Hope that helps Guess they come in all different forms!
Conni

Old 09-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

They are freaky and scary and I am glad that we have each other to encourage each other with them. When they first happened to me, I thought I was dying of a heart attack. The flutters, palps, weird funny stomach, sometimes the head, heart racing, etc. The last ones I had were a week ago at my nieces vollyball game. They were very minor. I just had that felling before like I am losing my mind and I get scared, then it passed. I just remember-its just a hot flash, you arnt dying or going bonkers.
Samething for cold flashes

Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi Maggie,
In the beginning, the worse ones usually happened at night (guess they're night sweats then). It would wake me up from sleep...I would jump out of bed in a state of panic, feeling really hot and anxious, my face would be all hot, shiny and wet. One time, sweat was dripping from face. This only happened couple of times. I think anxiety is often accompanied with hot flashes. Once this started happening, I would leave a bottle of water and a wet towel next to my bed.

These days, I don't get them like that anymore. But, I could be perfectly fine, doing and minding my own business and suddenly I would feel burning mostly in the face for me (doesn't help if you're wearing make-up). I was told I don't turn beet red. I've never been one to sweat too much but, in this case, I do get sweaty in the face, esp. on the nose and neck. It doesn't last all that long really...in actuality, probably not even 5 minutes. Tell you what tho, I much rather deal with hot flashes than some of the other symptoms (esp. the internal shaking, extreme fatigue, headaches, dizziness..).

What are your hot flashes like?

molly123
Hi Molly, the reason you are not feeling the hot flashes so strongly is because of the Paxil. Anti-depressants help with hot flashes, proven.

Andrea

Old 09-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

for me it is just all over. i start feeling warm, them i am just dying of the heat. from head to toe i feel like i need to rip my clothes off and stand under a cold shower. clamey and stickey. ugh
karen

Old 09-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Thank you all for your replies. For me, out of the nowhere I get this weird feeling rush through my body which leaves me weak and scared. sometimes I feel a wam rush with this "surge" but I don't sweat with it - well sometimes a little bit. It starts in my tummy area and rushes right up through me. Afterwards I feel rotten and my legs go really weak. Then more times it doesn't bother me too much. This can happen several times a day and then I can also go a few days with nothing.
My doctor says what is happening to me is probably a hot flash and as you all have said everybody is different.
Again, thank you all for your replies. I feel better as I do believe they are hot flashes. My problem is that I always thought when I heard about hot flashes is that you just feel very hot for a few seconds and then you were ok and I honestly couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. How wrong and ignorant I was!!

Maggie

Old 09-10-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maggie:

Impossible, some women feel miserable cause they are sweating all the time and others have the rage and others have the adrenaline weakness with it, everyone is different. I am like you so I totally know how you are feeling with the hot flashes.

Andrea

Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. For me, out of the
Quote:
nowhere I get this weird feeling rush through my body which leaves me weak and scared. sometimes I feel a wam rush with this "surge" but I don't sweat with it - well sometimes a little bit. It starts in my tummy area and rushes right up through me. Afterwards I feel rotten and my legs go really weak. Then more times it doesn't bother me too much. This can happen several times a day and then I can also go a few days with nothing.
My doctor says what is happening to me is probably a hot flash and as you all have said everybody is different.
Again, thank you all for your replies. I feel better as I do believe they are hot flashes. My problem is that I always thought when I heard about hot flashes is that you just feel very hot for a few seconds and then you were ok and I honestly couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. How wrong and ignorant I was!!

Maggie
What you described I think I experienced except mine weren't warm rushes but just a rush sensation going through my body. It left me feeling jittery inside 24/7. It also made my legs go really weak too - I described it as weak jelly legs. My dr. didn't know what the heck I was talking about when I told him about them. I didn't know others experienced something similiar like this until women posted about on boards. There is nothing about them in books. They are scary...but mine went away and hopefully yours will too.

molly123

Old 09-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #13
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
What you described I think I experienced except mine weren't warm rushes but just a rush sensation going through my body. It left me feeling jittery inside 24/7. It also made my legs go really weak too - I described it as weak jelly legs. My dr. didn't know what the heck I was talking about when I told him about them. I didn't know others experienced something similiar like this until women posted about on boards. There is nothing about them in books. They are scary...but mine went away and hopefully yours will too.

molly123
I had been telling my doctor about "these feelings" anytime I visited and she had no idea either what I was talking about. It wasn't until my periods started coming closer together and sometimes missing a month other times that she believed I might be menopausal. I had mentioned it to her a few times but she said no I was too young but the last visit I had she agreed that i was perimenopausal and that these probably were hot flashes. My problem I believe was that anybody I knew didn't seem to have these scary symptoms which left me doubting that they were hot flashes. These boards are absolutely wonderful - I don't know what all us women would do without them as it is our only way of finding out that we are not the only ones which have these . I am glad to hear your went away so please god mine will as well.

Maggie xxxx

Did you take anything for them before they went away?

Last edited by alwaysaworrier; 09-10-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

My dr was going to send me to a heart test because I told him that I had surges of adrenaline w/palps,weird feeling sweeping through my body. I cnacelled the appointment and found out later through a friend that I asm peri and I am having hot/cold flashes. They are NOT only just a feeling of warmth or cold. there is more to them. I had to explain that to my husband too.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
My dr was going to send me to a heart test because I told him that I had surges of adrenaline w/palps,weird feeling sweeping through my body. I cnacelled the appointment and found out later through a friend that I asm peri and I am having hot/cold flashes. They are NOT only just a feeling of warmth or cold. there is more to them. I had to explain that to my husband too.
Do you find sometimes they are worse than other times and you can be left drained and miserable from them?

Closed Thread