It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User
Question Question about loss of axillary hair during menopause

Hello,

Has anyone experienced total loss of axillary (underarm) hair as a result of menopause? I entered menopause three years ago, at the age of 46, and noticed the loss of underarm hair within the last year or so.

I suspect that I might be dealing with either an autoimmune or an endocrine disorder, based on my medical history, but I wanted to find out if it could simply be a symptom of menopause.

Thanks so much for any comments.

Pat

Old 09-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Question about loss of axillary hair during menopause

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNJ
Hello,

Has anyone experienced total loss of axillary (underarm) hair as a result of menopause? I entered menopause three years ago, at the age of 46, and noticed the loss of underarm hair within the last year or so.

I suspect that I might be dealing with either an autoimmune or an endocrine disorder, based on my medical history, but I wanted to find out if it could simply be a symptom of menopause.

Thanks so much for any comments.

Pat
Hi Pat,
Probably no help here but thought I say, in addition to all the crap I went through last year, I also experienced hair loss. My hairdresser told me - had 3 bald patches underneath my hair and along neckline about the size of a 1/2 dollar each. Guess it is called alopecia which is another peri-meno symptom. Went to a dermo dr. every month for about 4 months and had 12 little injections put in my head each time on each bald spot (ouch!). My hair grew back. He said it just happens - not necessarily stress related..often genetic too. It happened once before when I was around 28 yo too.

molly123

Last edited by molly123; 09-09-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hair gets thinner and scarcer EVERYwhere!!!

Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #4

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth6:11
Hair gets thinner and scarcer EVERYwhere!!!
Yeah I wasn't gonna dare start a thread on this -- LOL BUT,
I have notice what seems like a loss of hair in my private area. I have always had a very thick head of hair and a lot of hair "down South" as well. But when I was on my period this time I just thought it seemed like less hair there. Am I just imagining this? Well there it is I said it.... you guys asked for it LOL

Penny

Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Yeah I wasn't gonna dare start a thread on this -- LOL BUT,
I have notice what seems like a loss of hair in my private area. I have always had a very thick head of hair and a lot of hair "down South" as well. But when I was on my period this time I just thought it seemed like less hair there. Am I just imagining this? Well there it is I said it.... you guys asked for it LOL

Penny
No...don't really notice....don't really look, I guess...LOL! You made me laugh reading your post, Penny!

molly123

Old 09-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #6

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
No...don't really notice....don't really look, I guess...LOL! You made me laugh reading your post, Penny!

molly123
Well Molly, I have never really looked either, but with everything else going on in my body I just happen to notice

It is not like it is a big deal or anything---- you know me if its happening I want a reason!

If you want to tell the others on the board I am no longer your friend I will understand, or you can tell them my medication made me post such a thing!!
LOL

As Usual,
Penny

Old 09-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #7

Happysmom53 HB User
Smile Re: Question about loss of axillary hair during menopause

The one thing that has happened to me is a loss of a patch of
eyelashes! I woke up one morning in May and they were gone...
I have pretty decent eyelashes so felt like I looked terrible.
Kept thinking they would grow back as I could see tiny lashes but
then they would disappear. There was never any redness, itching,
burning...nothing but a white spot. Finally went to my eye doctor,
he couldnt see anything but gave me a rx for ointment that has
a steriod in it. That has been a month ago, I now have lashes
back in place, not quite as thick as they were, maybe they will
get thicker with time! I am 51.......if I make it through this
"change".....I will be so GLAD!!! And I am glad to have found this
website....some of the "ailments" and changes you all have posted
made me feel that I wasnt crazy after all!! I was actually pretty normal!!!
At least Im not moody and not very depressed.......I have a day or
two that I will feel down, but bounce back pretty fast!! I appreciate
all the posts here and check this site daily!!!

Old 09-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
Well Molly, I have never really looked either, but with everything else going on in my body I just happen to notice

It is not like it is a big deal or anything---- you know me if its happening I want a reason!

If you want to tell the others on the board I am no longer your friend I will understand, or you can tell them my medication made me post such a thing!!
LOL

As Usual,
Penny
Penny,
No pouting now...I'm still your friend..
Ok, if you want to blame on it on meds, that is fine...LOL! Don't you know I'm blaming everything on menopause these days? As for your hair loss, it's only is a big deal, I guess, if someone besides yourself is lookin'! ha-ha-ha!LOL! I just think your post was just so funny and cute!

Aside from looking and noticing your hair loss, do you do goofy things once in a while? I still have my marbles most of the time, but once in a while, I would catch myself, for example, putting the milk in the dish cabinet instead of the refrig, forgetting to put on my shoes and about to go out for my walks, or going into a room and totally forgetting what I was going to do.

Hey, TGIF,
molly123

Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmom53
The one thing that has happened to me is a loss of a patch of
eyelashes! I woke up one morning in May and they were gone...
I have pretty decent eyelashes so felt like I looked terrible.
Kept thinking they would grow back as I could see tiny lashes but
then they would disappear. There was never any redness, itching,
burning...nothing but a white spot. Finally went to my eye doctor,
he couldnt see anything but gave me a rx for ointment that has
a steriod in it. That has been a month ago, I now have lashes
back in place, not quite as thick as they were, maybe they will
get thicker with time! I am 51.......if I make it through this
"change".....I will be so GLAD!!! And I am glad to have found this
website....some of the "ailments" and changes you all have posted
made me feel that I wasnt crazy after all!! I was actually pretty normal!!!
At least Im not moody and not very depressed.......I have a day or
two that I will feel down, but bounce back pretty fast!! I appreciate
all the posts here and check this site daily!!!
Hi Happymom,
Last year, I noticed I was missing hair on one of my eyebrows. Read that this could happen to people who are hypothyroid (me!). Anyway, I purchased this product by Talika Lipocils (online) and it really worked and my eyebrows grew back! I used it sparingly b/c it's kind of expensive for what you get - around $30-$35 - comes like a mascara wand. They also sell one to make your eyelashes thicker. Thought I share this with you in case you or any of the other ladies are interested in enhancing your eyelashes!

Also, welcome to the board! I'm also 51 and hope to go thru the change w/o anymore problems. What are your symptoms? How are you handling all this and what are you taking?

Take care
molly123

Old 09-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #10

PennyD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Penny,
No pouting now...I'm still your friend..
Ok, if you want to blame on it on meds, that is fine...LOL! Don't you know I'm blaming everything on menopause these days? As for your hair loss, it's only is a big deal, I guess, if someone besides yourself is lookin'! ha-ha-ha!LOL! I just think your post was just so funny and cute!

Aside from looking and noticing your hair loss, do you do goofy things once in a while? I still have my marbles most of the time, but once in a while, I would catch myself, for example, putting the milk in the dish cabinet instead of the refrig, forgetting to put on my shoes and about to go out for my walks, or going into a room and totally forgetting what I was going to do.

Hey, TGIF,
molly123
Molly,
Thanks for letting me still be your friend. I was just kidding about it in my post, you know if we don't have a little fun we would just sit and cry all day. Yes I do goofy things all the time. I used to be so with-it, but now I just chalk it up to peri and overload in my brain! I won't be taking a hair count so I will not update the board on any loss!! LOL
Hugs,
Penny

Old 09-10-2004, 08:47 PM   #11

Happysmom53 HB User

Hi Molly,
Thanks for welcoming me aboard!! The funny thing is I just
had blood work done this week..to check my thyroid. They
said it was normal, but I had bp of 102/52.......now I have
checked my temp, it is 97.9 and 97.6 as I write this tonight. Not
sure what to do....I just read about the hypothyroid and I am not overweight.....in fact I really dont have much of an appetite right now..
what were your symptoms?........I just stopped taking the bc pill, it really
has worked, but felt I am missing something, so I have now
started using natural progesterone creme. I have fuzzy thinking,
well, have an excuse for that ..Im blonde!!!! Some days I have
great energy, some days I do not want to do anything! I just tell
myself tomorrow will be better...thank goodness I dont have
crying spells!! It is just great we are where the "change" can be
discussed......past generations never uttered a word, just lived
with it!! I will check out the thickener for eyelashes...thanks so
much.....Linda

Old 09-10-2004, 11:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

When my mother in law went through menopause, her hair on her head became much thinner, but she also lost all of the hair on her legs. No more shaving for her! Now that is something positive (the no leg hair) about menopause!

Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Happysmom53]Hi Molly,
Thanks for welcoming me aboard!! The funny thing is I just
had blood work done this week..to check my thyroid. They
said it was normal, but I had bp of 102/52.......now I have
checked my temp, it is 97.9 and 97.6 as I write this tonight. Not
sure what to do....I just read about the hypothyroid and I am not overweight.....in fact I really dont have much of an appetite right now..
what were your symptoms?........I just stopped taking the bc pill, it really
has worked, but felt I am missing something, so I have now
started using natural progesterone creme. I have fuzzy thinking,
well, have an excuse for that ..Im blonde!!!! Some days I have
great energy, some days I do not want to do anything! I just tell
myself tomorrow will be better...thank goodness I dont have
crying spells!! It is just great we are where the "change" can be
discussed......past generations never uttered a word, just lived
with it!! I will check out the thickener for eyelashes...thanks so
much.....Linda
[/QUOTE]

Hi Linda,
Seems like your BP is on the low side. Also, my temp is normally in the same range as yours (always 97.something). If my temp is 98.6, I feel hot or think I have a fever. I am taking 0.1mg of Levoxyl. I find it weird that I was diagnosed years ago w/hypo but never felt I had any of the symptoms -felt it was the opposite many times. I've always been more on the energetic/hyper side vs. feeling fatigue/low-energy, have a low-tolerance for heat rather than cold, not overweight but do find it hard for me to lose weight (but who doesn't as we get older); don't have dry hair/skin.

Did you see the Dr. Phil show about "Raging Hormones"? Dr. Phil's wife talked about how she was hypo but drs. said she was normal. She kept track of her temp every morning before getting out of bed (under her armpits). She said and I've read that if your temp is in 97. range, you are hypo. You might want to check his site out and see if she is quoted there. Also, it has been stated in several books that your thyroid test can come up "normal" even when it is actually out of wack during peri-meno.

I am doing fine now. The only symptom I have now are occasional hot flashes which last only a few seconds. I had it really bad last year. Had extreme fatigue, dizziness, headaches, joint/muscle aches, burning arms/feet, internal shakes, lightheadedness, severe dry eyes, heart palps, pins&needles in foot, anxiety, unable to focus, freaked out at stores, weight loss, cold/hot flashes. Since Nov. 03 to present, I've had only 1 period and my FSH went up so I'm heading into meno.

molly123

Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Hi, Ladies,

Thanks for your entertaining replies!

Molly, I have hypothyroidism, too, and have always had conflicting symptoms of both hypo- and hyperthyroidism, before taking thryoid meds and since starting on them (.75 mg Levoxyl - now generic - GRRRRR!!!) And thank you, thank you, thank you, for the recommendation of the eyebrow regrowth product -- Woohoo!!

Linda, what tests did your doctor run in order to "rule out" hypoT? Some thyroid test results that many doctors consider to be in "normal" range, really aren't, and it's important for you to get hold of your results (including reference ranges) and maybe post them on the Thyroid forum message board for some feedback there. (I'll bet that you didn't even have any thyroid antibody testing done, and maybe not even a TSH measurement. The traditional "screening" tests used by most doctors to check for hypothyroidism are so antiquated that they're all but meaningless.)

Penny, you're a hoot! I did notice that, while many of the other Lovely Ladies had a few laughs at your expense - LOL - about your "down there" observation, no one was brave enough to admit to having noticed a certain "deficiency" in that area herself. ("Oh, I never really noticed, and I think it's odd that you did , blah, blah, blah...") Well, let me be the first to confess that I have looked and have noticed a definite thinning "trend"!

...anyway, if I may return to the topic of the original thread, did I miss it (you know, while I was too busy counting the hairs in my southerly regions - lol), or did not one of you LL's mention losing UNDERARM HAIR??? Am I the only one with that problem (not that not shaving there anymore is a "problem"!!!)? Waaaaawaaaawaaa!!!!

Thanks again. Nice meeting all of you!

Best,
Pat

Old 09-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[
Quote:
QUOTE=PatNJ]Hi, Ladies,

Thanks for your entertaining replies!

Molly, I have hypothyroidism, too, and have always had conflicting symptoms of both hypo- and hyperthyroidism, before taking thryoid meds and since starting on them (.75 mg Levoxyl - now generic - GRRRRR!!!) And thank you, thank you, thank you, for the recommendation of anymore is a "problem"!!!)? Waaaaawaaaawaaa!!!!

Thanks again. Nice meeting all of you!
Best,
Pat
Hi Pat,
Welcome aboard! Free feel to jump in and post whatever is on your mind - even if it is missing underarm hair! LOL! Anyway, if you end up trying out the Talika Lipocils eyelash product, post back and let us know how it works. I found out about this in a beauty mag where many Asian women have very thin lashes and they've used it and it made their lashes thicker. The eyebrow thing worked for me! No longer have bald spots and no longer have to draw it in.

Have a good day...
molly

Closed Thread