It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User
Questions for anyone taking Prempro

Hello! This is the first time I've posted on this board. Wednesday I went to my doctor and described the symptoms I've been having, which are hot flashes, night sweats and anxiety and the doctor believes I'm starting menopause. I am 44 years old. He took a blood test to check hormone levels but I won't have the results back until next week.

He gave me samples of Prempro and told me go go ahead and start taking them to see if I feel better and to come back in two months. He told me my body might go kind of wacko for awhile and I asked him what he meant and he said I might have irregular periods. I have been having my periods every 6 weeks to 3 months for the last year or so, so I'm used to irregularity. He said my periods may taper off and stop altogether after taking the Prempro for awhile. I was wondering if any of you that are on it have stopped your periods after taking it (if you were having irregular ones before you took it like I did).

I was worried about all the things I have heard about cancer risks and he said that's only if you are on it for a long time, like more than five years.

I appreciate any information any of you have that have taken Prempro. Thank you!
Kayley

Last edited by Kayley; 09-10-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User
Re: Questions for anyone taking Prempro

I'm bumping this up because it got lost on the second page....does anyone take Prempro anymore? I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one

Last edited by Kayley; 09-14-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Kayle,
There are not many Drs. left that prescribe premerin and prempro anymore. One of the main reasons many ladies and Drs. have stopped using premrin and prempro is because its made from pregnant horses urine. There are so many other natural/vegtable HRTs now that Drs. can prescribe that they can stop producing premrin and prempro from horses.

I was looking up those specific HRTs last week on the net and also found websites on how the horses are treated that they get the HRTS from. Thousands of foals are born every year and are sent to the slaughter houses for dog food. The mares are kept in small stalls their whole lives and are unable to move around. Its very sad.

Since the reports came out last year about HRTs alot of women have gone off them completely. Women are using soy as a substitute. Some are using natural progesterone. Some are going cold turkey and not using anything. I'm not one of those women. My symtoms are too great for me to go without estrogen. I take estriodial without any progesterone.

I believe that prempro is estrogen with progestin. You can get a natural estogen - estriol creme with progesterone at a compound pharmacy with a RX from your Dr. It is something to talk to your Dr. about.

Hope I didn't give you more information than you wanted to know.....

Old 09-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

Thank you Hannasnana
I had no idea! This is all new to me and I really appreciate the information. I go back to my doctor in about six weeks and I will talk to him about it then. I am an animal lover too and I can't stand hearing about how people are so cruel to animals. We even eat the cage free eggs because of how we have heard the chickens are treated. Don't worry, you didn't give me more information than I wanted to know. I want all the information I can get! Thanks again!
Kayley

Old 09-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayley
I'm bumping this up because it got lost on the second page....does anyone take Prempro anymore? I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one

How does Prempro work for you? My gyne gave it to me also and haven't taken it yet, afraid of side effects. Please let me know.

Andrea

Old 09-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

Hi Andrea
I've been on it a week now and my hot flashes and night sweats have decreased dramatically. I'm also sleeping better. I haven't had any side effects at all, but of course everyone is different. If you decide to try it, let me know how you do, ok?
Kayley

Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Andrea
I've been on it a week now and my hot flashes and night sweats have decreased dramatically. I'm also sleeping better. I haven't had any side effects at all, but of course everyone is different. If you decide to try it, let me know how you do, ok?
Kayley

Ok my gyne gave me prozac too and said I can take Prempro with prozac. What is your mg of your prempro. this is mine and maybe if it works well wtih you, I'll try it. Mine is 0.3 mg / 1.5 mg. that is 0.3 estrogen and 1.5 progesterone. It also says estrogen obtained exclusively from natural sources. So where do we go from here? Is this the same that u have? one of the side effects is breakthrough bleeding. But she doubted it would happen since it was a low dose.

Andrea

Last edited by ainfante; 09-16-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

Andrea, I don't have a prescription for my Prempro because the doctor gave me samples, so there's not much information on the packet. I says 0.625mg/5mg....so I'm assuming that is 0.625mg estrogen and 5mg progesterone, which is a higher dosage than you are on. I don't take antidepressants. I had asked my doctor about them and he said to try this first and if I still need antidepressants he will give them to me. He believes my anxiety was caused by the pre-menopause. I also suffer from chronic pain though so I do have depression from that. So far, I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding. My last period was four weeks ago and usually by now I would be having pms symptoms, and I don't have any at all. Yeah!!!! My periods have been further apart but my pms symptoms have been lasting at least a week before I was on the Prempro.

Have you decided whether or not to try it yet? Let me know if you try it and how you do ok?
Kayley

Last edited by Kayley; 09-17-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Andrea, I don't have a prescription for my Prempro because the doctor gave me samples, so there's not much information on the packet. I says 0.625mg/5mg....so I'm assuming that is 0.625mg estrogen and 5mg progesterone, which is a higher dosage than you are on. I don't take antidepressants. I had asked my doctor about them and he said to try this first and if I still need antidepressants he will give them to me. He believes my anxiety was caused by the pre-menopause. I also suffer from chronic pain though so I do have depression from that. So far, I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding. My last period was four weeks ago and usually by now I would be having pms symptoms, and I don't have any at all. Yeah!!!! My periods have been further apart but my pms symptoms have been lasting at least a week before I was on the Prempro.

Have you decided whether or not to try it yet? Let me know if you try it and how you do ok?
Kayley
That's great! Glad to hear that! I have samples too, but my dosage is lower than yours. Well, maybe I will give in.

Andrea

Closed Thread