It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
what's the difference between estrogen and progesterone domanince?

I am trying to figure out the difference between estrogen and progesterone domanince in regards to symptoms? For example are my tender and swollen breasts due to more estrogen or progesterone in my body? How about the bloated feeling I always have? What about other symptoms?
Please share you knowledge.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #2

PennyD HB User
Re: what's the difference between estrogen and progesterone domanince?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
I am trying to figure out the difference between estrogen and progesterone domanince in regards to symptoms? For example are my tender and swollen breasts due to more estrogen or progesterone in my body? How about the bloated feeling I always have? What about other symptoms?
Please share you knowledge.
With Estrogen Dominance you have more estrogen than progesterone and it causes an aray of symptoms. That is what I am dealing with. Go to a search engine and type in Estrogen Dominance and several sites will come up listing the symptoms of Estrogen Dominance.

Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

It apears that estrogen and progesterone symptoms overlap. Tender breasts seem to both a symptom of both! So I am back to square one. Anyone out there have any personal experience with this?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
It apears that estrogen and progesterone symptoms overlap. Tender breasts seem to both a symptom of both! So I am back to square one. Anyone out there have any personal experience with this?

Yes, I do. With estrogen dominance, you can have soar breasts and you can have soar breasts with progesterone too. But to have progesterone dominance, the only symptoms you are going to feel are moodiness, exhaustion or fatigue and depression. And these can come with estrogen dominance too. I doubt you would be progesterone dominance cause if you are in perimenopause, you would have lost most of your progesterone. Progesterone is produced during ovulation only. When you first begin to feel ovulatory failure, you still have progesterone produced in your body in what we call store areas. But progesterone overload really isn't dangerous, it's the estrogen dominance that can be by causing fibrocystic breasts, uterine fibroids, cysts, headaches, heavy periods, even light periods, body aches, anxiety, etc. If you are in your late 30's or in your 40's, even 50's and still ovulating a bit or even not at all, you would still be estrogen dominance cause estogen is stored in fat, it's also stored in brain, nervous system, breasts, stomach, bladder and adrenaline glands, so is testerone in the adrenaline glands. Your adrenaline glands produce progesterone also and this is why they kick into women so hard and they have anxiety cause the adrenaline glands are producing hormone that your ovaries are not any longer. Now, everytime you get a period, you are setting new estrogen set points. So let's say you don't have a period for awhile and then you get all of sudden, the body goes through setting new estrogen points so this might make you feel out of whack again because of this. I know it's a roller coaster and I know it's difficult to understand but I would say perimenopause is definitley a very serious hormonal inbalance. To do natural progesterone creme will not harm you, but you need to have an alternative or naturopathic doctor watch you on this, since you will need to be regulated. Even Chiropracter's and gyne's who practice alternative medicine will do this for you. I hope this helps or if you have any further questions, we can go from here.

Andrea

Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Thank you Andrea- your info us very helpful.
I am doing 1/4tsp. natural progesterone cream from day 7 of my cycle to day 15 and then increasing it to 1/2 tsp till day 27. Then I stop and hopefully a period comes within a week. I did miss four months and then it started again fairly regular. I was told that my tender breast were due to the progesterone cream and to stop the progesterone cream by a doctor who I think may not have a lot of knowledge about it. I did stop for two days now and I do admit my breasts are not as tender- but then again I also had accupuncture and am taking herbs and that may help tempoary. I am thinking of starting the progest. cream again cause I do not know if is a good idea to stop it mid cycle. I am now in the market for a good natural orientated doctor. But the few in my city are either booked for months or beyond reason in cost. I may have to spend the money to get myself regulated.

Closed Thread